Just Starting

dparksie

I just got a 47 Deluxe up and running. I was hoping to just do the little body work on the car and get her (my daughter named the car Katherine) on the road. I notice you all seem to feel the only way to fix the old gal is to do an off frame restoration. Do I really have to do this? I am literally a back yard mechanic doing this work so I really am not looking forward to all that time on my back in the dirt. But getting the old gal fired up for the first time on over 30 years was GREAT and I want to do the best I can to get her showing like she should. Please help...

Thanks

Don

I have had my '40 Plymouth for 21 years this month, the body has never been off the frame. Over the years, I have replaced the brake lines, wheel cylinders along with having the master cylinder resleeved., along with new suspension parts as needed. I have made the old girl presentable, she looks good at 50 feet or 50mph, but I didn't want a show car but a good safe reliable driver, which I have done.

I guess it depends on just what you want to for your car, a show car, or a driver and that part is up to you. You wil find that it is a never ending labor of love to keep these old MOPARS up to snuff, which ever road you decide to take.

I have two friends that have '40 Plymouths, one is a fantastic show car, while the other one is in much better shape than mine, but then again, it has had an easier life than mine as he has been the same owner since the '60's

I had a new headliner sitting in a box for five years until a year ago this month when we installed it ourselves, Keep it safe and drive the dickens out of it.

hope this helps and good luck,

Bob

...I agree with the other replies.The main thing is that your car is safe on the road.As far as appearance goes -whatever you feel comfortable with.I've seen some cars on display that were original and showing their age that have attracted more attention than fully restored vehicles.

You'll notice that there really aren't that many different people talking about "frame off" restorations in the threads concerning that subject. I think the great majority of cars on here are simply cleaned up, do a little body work to repair the bad areas, then repaint. Also clean up and/or rebuild the engines and other mechanical stuff to make the car run good, and run safe on the road. And, maybe they do the interiors, if needed. In short, make a nice clean driver to have fun with. The only way I'd do a frame off on any car is if the body fell off the frame.:D

Thanks guys. You made my day, I always just wanted to have an enjoyable car to take the kids out on the weekends and have some fun with. The 47 started her life as an every day family car and that is my intention to use her for. I did clean up the engine, replaced the rings and lapped the valves. The kids and I are just having fun getting the girl road ready. Next come the brakes.

Any suggestions on colors?

Yeah, ditto on what they all said. Spend the time driving it. Nothing worse in my opinion than an out of commission car due to restoration that wasn't needed. Spend the money and time on something else.* As long as it gets ya' from point A to B with a smile on your face that's all that matters. Congrats on getting Katherine running!

*For the record, I do appreciate restorations. I just know for most of us it isn't practical or necessary to get the full enjoyment from our cars.:cool:

If your car had extreme rust-out where the body mounts are, might be a candidate for the frame off. But in my mind, these old rigs were built for one thing, transportation, and getting them too pretty underneath might discourage you from getting out there and driving her.

In six years or so I've concentrated my time (and money) on brakes, engine, wiring, and transmission. She still has the original paint, covered by an Earl Scheib repaint, and even has brush strokes on the hood and a few rust spots. With all that, the car never fails to draw admirers at every fuel stop or stoplight. Enjoy your car, everyone loves seeing an old one still on the road.

Thanks to both Norms, and everyone else. The body mounts are in good shape. My father when he was down gave me some of his tools from when he was swinging a wrench. So things are going alot easier now. Now the big debate is a garage or Katherine. Given the two, I think I'll keep playing with the kids on the car. My goal is to have her on the road by spring. Though it would be fun to have her ready to go visit the family for the holidays:D.

I completely understand...

a floor jack will not roll on gravel and you always find the sharpest little rock with the back of your elbow while you are crawling out from under the car!:eek:

Welcome to the forum tho. I just got here myself and have already learned alot. I will give you one suggestion. Use the search option as much as possible because you will learn more that way. Just because you might not know the exact question to ask, you will still find the answers in an old thread. Stuff you never thought to ask.

And as far a resto goes, leave that to the guys who don't like to drive. Otherwise, brakes and gas is all you need. Nothing like taking out my three little girls in the "old blue car". :cool:

post-6251-13585352366153_thumb.jpg

post-6251-13585352366988_thumb.jpg

Like you I do not have a garage for my car, but I have done all of the work on my car in a gravel driveway. I used treated lumber and plywood to build myself a flat floor that I can drive the car up on. Started with just four sheets of treated plywood. I have had the car since 1986. Mine is a driver but I cleaned the entire underside of the car and painted it while I had the front sheetmetal off when I rebuilt the engine. In 2007 an old friend and I drove the car to Reno for hot August nights, then to California, then on to Bonneville for speed week. We ended up having to drive through about 200 yards of salt brine each time we went in or out, but we had come that far and we were going to see everything. It took a lot of cleaning after I got home. Spent many days washing salt residue off of the undersides. Still need to repaint parts of the frame, but it is just a driver. Only you can decide whether a frame off would be worth doing on your car. Unless it is a desirable model, coupe or two-door sedan then the feeling of having done a good job will be your only compensation.

Edited by james curl
spelling

I live in South Jersey, on the mainland near Ocean City. My kids really love the car. Especially the suicide doors. Thankfully the hinges are in good shape since the doors get alot of work out. I had to move it the other day so my daughter with my son riding shotgun moved her "to help" me. It was only about 10 feet but that did not matter.

When I first had it delivered, I left the keys in it since it didn't turn over. Now I take the keys out and remove one batterry terminal or I may come home to find Katherine going down the road....:rolleyes:

The plywood is a good idea and I will use it.:D

I have a piece of masonite that I out down on the concrete floor when I work under the car. The shinier surface allows you to slide around and not worry about splinters.

When we used to to perfromance rallys, servicing a car that was entered. We always spread out a plastic tarp over the groud at the service site. So if you don't want to invest in treated lmber and plywood. A 12 by 12 tarp from Harbor freight, and a piece of masonite may be the way to go. You might need some smaller pieces of 3/4 OSB or plywood to put under jacks ad jack stands to give them a solid base that doesn't puncture the tarp. With those items and a 10x10 popup shade deal you will have a comfortable and portable work area.

I use a creeper most of the time under the car. But........I also have two large old office floor chair pads that I use. Those are heavy duty plastic with little knobs on the bottom to hold them in place on a carpet floor. But........on the concrete garage floor, you can slide them around easily. They are nice because they are easy to clean any oil or grease off them, should you spill some.

a creeper is just a device that show you how little room you really have to work with while under a car...if I am on the ground..I use a large piece of cardboard as a barrier..at the time I bought my lift my knees were a serious daily bother to me..I have since learned the cause and have corrected the affliction..can get up and down and crawl about with no pain with the best of the young..but am spoiled with the lift..

I guess you could do the brakes in any color you like:D

Congratulations on getting your car running. Where are you located?

I painted my brake parts non gloss black, I figured that would match any color for other parts.:) I use Black or White paint for parts, since I can never make a decision on colors.:confused: decisions, decisions, decisions:confused: