slop in wheel

p24-1953

as i worked on my brakes i noticed that when one front wheel is off the ground and one is still on the ground i could grab each side of the wheel and move it back and forth 1/4". there was no movement top to bottom or in and out. is that much left right movement okay? is it caused by loose/ worn out tie rod's ?

there shold be no slop per say in the suspension..it is indicative of something worn and out of tolerance..it is goo there is no up and down play as that pretty much speaks good of your king pins..

as your set up does not have an idler arm, and the lower sector bearing is probably not causing this but be sure to inspect it, the odds of one or more of the tie rods ends as Greg pointed out would be prime supsect.

any tips on where to look for tie rods?

napas prices vary from $20-$90.

rock auto only has the right side inner and outer. no lefts

andy burnbaum has them all listed for 35 dollars each inners and outer

why the price variances?

NAPA sells pretty good quality stuff. My local NAPAs have always been kind of unpredictable and arbitrary on discounting. Depending on the clerk you might get a jobber's discount or you might get charged list.

RockAuto has two levels on some parts. Service grade and professional grade. Quite a price difference. I just ordered an inner tie rod end, professional grade, from them. I've had great results from RockAuto. Keep an eye on the shipping amount though. If you order multiple items, they might ship from different warehouses and the shipping goes way up. On the other hand, I ordered the tie rod end, and added a kingpin kit, and the shipping only increased by a couple dollars. Same manufacturer and same warehouse I guess.