Gasket for Oil type air cleaner and carberator

JIPJOBXX

does collectorautosupply have the gasket that goes on the bottom of the distributor? my windsor has a cork one that fell apart the last time i pulled the dist.. it looks kind of like the air cleaner one in that it has that angle cut to it, but obviously it is smaller. my dist. is now in without the gasket and it does not leak oil but i would like to put a new one in anyway. thanks, dennis

I found a large thick O-ring at a hardware store for the distributor. The plumbing repair area is a good place to look. That distributor is a good place to use some anti-seize. I've come across two of them that were firmly frozen in the block and were tough to get loosened up to set the timing.

Got my gas filter for my Dodge and it only took a day to get from Tacoma to here. The filter cost five bucks and the shipping around five not bad. I would have spent probably three or four times that much money is gas just going over to the old car parts store that I deal with.:cool:

http://www.collectorsautosupply.com/search.htm

part # 952062

They will sell you one, or make your own.

Made one. Had a pattern. Not pretty, but no one sees it except me.

I looked in my 36-42 desot master parts book and the desotos did not start to use this gasket until 1942 and uses the same part number. Would this have anything to do with the fluid drive now beoing available onthe cars. This is just a quess do not know why they would require a gasket but just want to confirm the number.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

I do not understnad how the gasket affect the tightening of the air clearner onto the top of the air horn onthe carb.

The cleaner fits down over the openoing and arounf the air horn opening. The cleaner is then sitting on the gasket. I do understand that the gasket has ataper but when you thighten the bot ont he air cleaner it should compress arounf the metal top of the air horn or are you saying that sine the gasket is tapered that the taper is filling the gap so the bolt then tighen the air cleaner.

i have a 39 Desoto that does not use the gasket and I have a very tight air cleaner on my unit and it has never fallen off in over 22 years of ownership.

Just trying to get an education on this topic.

rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

My P-15 was the same way. Without the gasket, the air cleaner was loose and rattled. The gasket I made from plain old paper gasket material thick enough to be used for water pumps and such. It raises the bottom flange on the cleaner base enough that the clamp will tighten on it . That rattle drove me nuts trying to find out what it was.

• 5 years later...

Yes,  Maybe, I'm not positioning it properly.  Anyhow, since the unit sits on top of the gasket, how does that make it more secure?  I would think the gasket should be around the clamp, not on top of it.

post-407-0-94264600-1429309345_thumb.jpg

Edited by central52

If the gasket is too thick it will Not work!

2nd.- the clamp is v-shaped and the tightening ring needs to be spread open enough to fit over the flange on the lower part of the air cleaner and the flange of the carb. before attempting to tighten the clamp. Look closely the first time to visualize what needs to fit together. Can be a bit tricky the first time but after that it is a breeze!

Best of luck!

Your gasket is too thick, keeping you from getting it all the way down on the carb. Cut your gasket from an old inner tube, the outer diameter the same as the outside diameter of the carb flange. The inner hole a snug fit around the top of the air horn.

See the thread "oil bath unit fits loose ...", posts 5 and 7, for photos of the air cleaner on the carb.  The aircleaner snaps over the flange of the carb, and the long rod tightens the clamp at the bottom of the air cleaner.  If the gasket is too thin, the clamp can't tighten enough.

• 5 years later...