3spd vs. hydrive ?s

p24-1953

does anyone know what the differnces are between the hydrive transmission and a standard 3 speed transmission? I know the input shaft is a larger diameter, with more splines, and the cluster gear's ratio's are different, are there any other differnces from the clutch back? are the cases same? does any one have schematics of each type? over all diminsions? case specifics?

not planning to retrofit. i have got george ashce building me a hydrive w/ overdrive. I was wondering how the overall length compared to the hydrive and how it would fit in the car or would i have to modify the floorboards

does anyone have any rebuild information on the hydrive? my repair books dont even list it or show it. are parts available for the torque convertor portion of it?

Plymouth put out a 1953 book called "Plymouth Hy-Drive Service Manual" 18 pages.

Bob

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

I have the 1946-54 Plymouth service manual, you can get a nice reprint on ebay for around $20.00. There's a 13 page section on the Hy-drive, including cross-section drawings, operating principles, data, specs, diagnosis, service. The majority of the service info is about the torque converter.

If you have Dodgeb4ya in your corner, you have half the battle won. Bob sure helped me over some rough spots when I rebuilt my overdrive 3 speed.

post-64-13585352354351_thumb.jpg

I have the 1946-54 Plymouth service manual, you can get a nice reprint on ebay for around $20.00. There's a 13 page section on the Hy-drive, including cross-section drawings, operating principles, data, specs, diagnosis, service. The majority of the service info is about the torque converter.

If you have Dodgeb4ya in your corner, you have half the battle won. Bob sure helped me over some rough spots when I rebuilt my overdrive 3 speed.

Thanks for the awesome compliment Norm! I spent some time in the corner at school in my younger days too--- always after a battle!

Bob