castle nut torque

p24-1953

Two questions:

First: is it possible that i damaged my rear axel by using a slide hammer to remove the rear hub rather than the screw style?

Second: how much torque do i apply when reinstalling the castel nuts on the hubs? i have used a 2' braker bar and pushed tighten untill it would not tighten any more. is this good? to much ? to little?

In my 1946-54 service manual, it says "Caution, do not use knock-out type pullers or strike end of axle shaft to loosen hub. This may damage the rear wheel bearings, thrust block and opposite brake support plate"

Now, I've used a slide hammer to remove my rear axles, and I've also been guilty of hitting the hub puller center shaft to pop loose a drum. So far, no apparent damage to the other parts though. Maybe I was just lucky?

Edit: Easiest rear drums I ever pulled were on a buddy's P15. The castle nuts had been tightened in the manner you would tighten a front wheel bearing...snug it up, back off to the next available cotter key space. Those drums came off by hand! As a tribute to the great materials Plymouth used, there was no visible wear to the axle, drum, or key, and the car had been driven a lot, and on the freeways frequently. After some brake work, we tightened them to about 140 ft lbs with a torque wrench.

Edited by Normspeed

• 4 years later...

Have not seen an answer to the rear castle nut torque.  Since this came up in the search, figured I'd bump this back up.

I cannot find any torque specs for the rear of my 1940 Plymouth hub castle nuts.  Does anyone know the spec?

Also, what is the best method to use to keep the wheel from spinning when applying the torque?

Thanks.

Have not seen an answer to the rear castle nut torque.  Since this came up in the search, figured I'd bump this back up.

I cannot find any torque specs for the rear of my 1940 Plymouth hub castle nuts.  Does anyone know the spec?

Also, what is the best method to use to keep the wheel from spinning when applying the torque?

Thanks.

Manual calls for 142 ft.-lbs. minimum. See http://www.ply33.com/Repair/torque