Anyone here familiar with 58 Dodge Coronets?

David Maxwell

A friend of mine is considering trading one of his many 65-67 Mustangs for a 58 Dodge Coronet 2 door hardtop. He lives in Mexico and sent me a few pics. The car looks pretty nice in the pics, but he said it does need work. Very solid car that could be drivin "as is", but knowing him, he will want to bring up to more of a show quality. Anyhow, the seller suggested to him that it was worth $6500. Any thoughts? I'm going to do the usual vintage bluebook checks as well as ebay etc. but I'm sure those prices will be all over the board. It's really opinions I'm interested in more than asking prices which may be inflated. Thanks!

58DodgeCoronet.jpg

58DodgeCoronet3.jpg

58DodgeCoronet4.jpg

58DodgeCoronet6.jpg

I think it's a great looking car, great example of the days of fins, good color but maybe not original color? Comparing the fun factor he'd get for his $6500 compared to spending it at a car dealership, this sounds like a good deal to me.

Had a high school buddy with one, and cruising in that was like riding on cloud 9.

Hi David,

I have a '57 Lancer which cost considerably more than $6500 and was still a good deal. I also had a '58 Plymouth coupe, I rescued.

Looking at the photos, the price is a steal - I can't quite make out the badge on the trunk but it looks like a D500 which is the rare performance model.

The mechanicals on these cars are just as cheap to work with and are as robust as P15/D24 stuff. The real problem lies with rust, which can be rampant and interior trim (about $3500 for a refurb kit) and exterior trim which can be very difficult to get hold of.

To me it looks like a bargain, these are great cars and are more advanced then contempory GM/Ford products of the period, not as well put together as our 40's MOPAR stuff, but still good.

I wish I could add it to my stable.

...Thanks so much for the responses and insight. You each seem to match my gut feelings on this. The potential buyer is the husband of a former student of mine. They're a great young couple that love old cars. Her husband is currently selling his entire stable of 7 Mustangs. This is being done to make a major investment in his tile business. He loves all old cars, but Mustangs are his main interest. He is hoping to find one car to keep him in the hobby until his investment pays off and he can add more cars. Lately he has become interested in Mopars, in part because of my P15 and in part because he fell in love with the 58 Dodge on site. I will pass on the info. I hope he follows through with this purchase. If he dosen't, I might try and find a way to buy it though the cost of getting the car back home would be extreme. They are roughly 1700 miles from me and in another country to boot. Thanks again. If anyone has more input, please keep it coming. I don't think we can be over-informed on this one :)

Hi David,

I have a '57 Lancer which cost considerably more than $6500 and was still a good deal. I also had a '58 Plymouth coupe, I rescued.

Looking at the photos, the price is a steal - I can't quite make out the badge on the trunk but it looks like a D500 which is the rare performance model.

The mechanicals on these cars are just as cheap to work with and are as robust as P15/D24 stuff. The real problem lies with rust, which can be rampant and interior trim (about $3500 for a refurb kit) and exterior trim which can be very difficult to get hold of.

To me it looks like a bargain, these are great cars and are more advanced then contempory GM/Ford products of the period, not as well put together as our 40's MOPAR stuff, but still good.

I wish I could add it to my stable.

David, over on the HAMB, there is a fellow who goes by "Sled" who has been living

in Mexico and hunting old cars for a while now. You might P M him to see what he

can tell you about getting a car from there to here. Seems as if he once said it

wasn't that big a deal. There's a long running thread as I recall about his adventures

and findings. Or, you may already be familiar with him. Just a thought.

Far as the 1700 miles -- just jump in the ol Dodge and drive it home.:eek:

...I've never really logged on to the HAMB, but I'll have to give that a try. Driving it home would be fun!!

David, over on the HAMB, there is a fellow who goes by "Sled" who has been living

in Mexico and hunting old cars for a while now. You might P M him to see what he

can tell you about getting a car from there to here. Seems as if he once said it

wasn't that big a deal. There's a long running thread as I recall about his adventures

and findings. Or, you may already be familiar with him. Just a thought.

Far as the 1700 miles -- just jump in the ol Dodge and drive it home.:eek:

Up here in the Northeast Rust belt, these cars had a rep as being rust buckets. If you got 4 years with out major problems you were fortunate. I recall this being the case from 57 to about 62. Of course in the dry South east, this probably wasn't much of a concern. Problem areas here were eye brows over the head lamps, lower front fenders, rear wheel wells, and dog legs. and trunk area especially the spare tire carrier.

Luckily those areas are easy to check either with a magnet or by reaching under to check for non metal repairs. Cars were unibody construction, torsion bar front suspension, notorously weak rear springs. And the pictured car loos like it might be so afflicted. The one in the picture doesn't look like it has the D 500 options which would feature prominent dual exhaust outlets. Trim looks to be mid level. Poly motors are reliable but parts are getting hard to find. Engine cubes could be all over the chart.

Most likely an early push button torqueflite but could be powerflite also as they were still available with the smaller v8.

Were not unibody. Full body on frame construction. I think the unibody may have started in 60, I know that 65 full size were a hybrid, stub frame bolted on to the unibody under the front floor with rubber isolators, but not sure exactly when that started. Just know for sure that my 57 ply, 58 ply and 59 Dodge had real frames.