I am in paint hell !

James_Douglas

I took the windshield glass out as after 60 years it was so scratched that at night or in the rain it was very hard to see.

I cleaned up the body area and took it down to bare metal and then primed it and wanted to paint it.

Given that all you can get in California is water-born paint now...I am in paint hell.

None of the old formulas convert to the new paint system and even the scanning camera will not output a correct auto body formula.

This is a pain in the back side. I have the two-tone color formulas from Ditzler and Sherwin Williams. I have the enamel codes and the lacquer codes.

But in California...none of that is worth a dime.

So, here I sit without glass wondering how the heck I can get a couple of pints of paint the correct colors.

So much fun.

James

Any nevada/oregon/arizona relatives?? maybe its time for a visit. ;)

but more seriously, is this really statewide already? My car was just painted in august, and definitely not with water based paint.

I was under the impression that regulations still varied from county to county. maybe with an hour drive to san jose you can still get your paint?

So it is state wide now?

Used to be just the areas covered by various "air quality management districts" like the Bay Area and the greater Los Angeles area. Until recently at least a fair number of people here in Silicon Valley were going "over the hill" to Santa Cruz where that stuff was still available.

I'll have to check with the people I know who are up to date with the current situation.

I while back i read that there are special clips that are used on the paint can lids for shipping . Anyone who ships paint would know about the requirements .

That's true. And, you don't have to pay for a hazardous shipment. A couple of pints can be shipped under the ORM-D label at the standard shipping rates, because it's a limited quantity.