the one and only hardest to find item on a p15 is????

michael.warshaw

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got two...found the first right after I got my first P15..paid 20.00 at a swap meet..he was asking 25 but in the spirit of swap meet just had to do the best to talk him down..the other was just a bit recent, found it on the internet...got it for 25.00 including shipping..so I would say no..just have to beat the bushes..if you expect one to just fall in your lap or snarf an advertised item off the net for nothing..will not happen..I just last month let one slide..I bit only 40.00 and it sold for 52.00 I did not want to go higher as I did not have a need for a third one..

The P15 clocks are hard to find at a reasonable price on the internet, like ebay. If that one Tim was talking about for only $52, it was a steal at that price. Usually, they go for at least $150 and far up from there on ebay. But.......as Tim mentioned. If you go to enough swap meets, you'll probably find one cheap, it'll just take some time unless you get lucky. I know a guy who bought a P15 clock at a swap meet a few years ago for only $10.

That said, don't jump on a clock just because a seller says it'll fit a P15. Many of the sellers don't know it, but......the clocks that fit the 46 - 48 Chrysler, Dodge and DeSoto will NOT fit the P15. The P15 clock is smaller. Best way to spot a P15 clock is the knob for setting the time. On the P15 clock, it's right in the middle of the number 6. On the others, the knob is just above the 6 and you can see the whole number 6. Those will NOT fit your P15.

...Probably the cheapest?...and fastest way to get one is off the internet,although not as much fun.I found mine -as pictured - at a swap meet last year for $25.00.The fellow was asking $30.00,but as Tim mentioned, in the spirit of the swap meet he said he would accept $25.00.It looks okay,works fine.If I had to pay ebay prices,

I would not have a clock in my dash. :)

The answer to your question is easy; the hardest to find is the next part that you want to find!

I agree that the P15 clock is very difficult; I've been looking for one for years. But I do have what is apparently much rarer; a Mopar-built retrofit driveshaft that uses true cross-style U-joints and a slider section. I've never seen another one.

Marty

..Here is a list of options as ordered by the original owner of my Dodge D25.It appears to be a mimeograph copy.This was with the car when I purchased it from the second owner (35 years).

[ATTACH]14274

This is a photo of the "brake whistle" (an oddity ) - connected with a "tee' to the windshield vacuum hose.Although maybe not a Mopar option,it was apparently fitted when the car was delivered to the original owner in 1948.

Nash offered a brake whistle as an option in 1948 listed as, Emergency Brake Alarm part no. AC- 2849.It sounds as a low pitched 1000 cycle whistle when the brake is on

[/ATTACH]

Edited by Ralph D25cpe

...the official Mopar compass. They were rare to begin with and because they were made of soybean plastic, few survived. Last one I saw sell on ebay went for over $800 although I have seen them sell for $183 on the low end (that would be the one I purchased) so you never know for sure what they will cost you.

what does that look like?

The answer to your question is easy; the hardest to find is the next part that you want to find!

I agree that the P15 clock is very difficult; I've been looking for one for years. But I do have what is apparently much rarer; a Mopar-built retrofit driveshaft that uses true cross-style U-joints and a slider section. I've never seen another one.

Marty

My '48 Dodge D25 coupe has that style drive shaft and I believe it is original to the car. I am going out to my Dodge D25 parts car tomorrow and I am going to see what style driveshaft it is has in it. If it is the same style I want to compare its length to what I have in my '53 Plymouth and maybe change them over. It maybe shorter and in that case I would be willing to sell it. Time will tell.

I have never even heard of that but then again I have probably missed a lot in my life.:P Any pictures of what it looks like, Ed?

Robert,

The dash turn signal indicator looks like your high beam indicator on the dash. Only difference is, the one with the indicator lights have an arrow that lights up on each side of the high beam light indicator. Those are really rare.

....as I have only seen two in my life. One is on GTK's (our generous host) dash of his P15. The other was on ebay and it went for a small fortune. The problem is that the P15 version is not interchangeable with Dodge, Desoto or Chrysler. It's unique and extremely rare.

Im going to say its the factory in dash turn signal indicator

I bought the clock that's presently in the convertible sometime back in

the 1970s from a car in a salvage yard. Don't recall the price, but I'm

sure it wasn't much.

I bought this clock at a small swap meet 3 or 4 years ago for, I think,

$15. It was being sold by a fellow who had a mixture of parts for

several cars, not just Plymouth stuff.....that's where you can get a

better buy often times. It's not the very best one I ever saw, but can

be cleaned up and made to look better.

IM004551.jpg

I've really never seen an indicator for the P15. Just heard about them some years back on this forum. But........back then someone mentioned they tried one off a D24 for use on a P15. Evidently the one for the D24 is a little too large to fit the hole in the dash, according to all the conversation that went on back then. But........I think they also said you could make the D24 indicator fit by making the hole larger in the P15 dash. Don't quote me on this. I'm just going by what I remember about that thread long ago. Don't know if I'm remembering everything right or not. Should be somewhere in the old archives though, or on the CD that GTK made.

where does the compass and the turn signal indicator get installed?

To use the turn signal indicator shown, you remove your high beam indicator light and bezel, then replace it with the one shown.

Not sure how the Mopar compass is attached. But........the compass either has an arm/bracket on it to install it on the center windshield molding between the mirror and dash. Or, some were installed by drilling a hole into the dash for the bracket and installed on the dash.

I've really never seen an indicator for the P15. Just heard about them some years back on this forum. But........back then someone mentioned they tried one off a D24 for use on a P15. Evidently the one for the D24 is a little too large to fit the hole in the dash' date=' according to all the conversation that went on back then. But........I think they also said you could make the D24 indicator fit by making the hole larger in the P15 dash. Don't quote me on this. I'm just going by what I remember about that thread long ago. Don't know if I'm remembering everything right or not. Should be somewhere in the old archives though, or on the CD that GTK made.[/quote']

I am using a Dodge indicator on my P12 Plymouth. It fits the hole fine. The difference is in the angle of the tube that passes the light to the high beam indicator. I had to cut it off and grind it to the correct angle and then re-attached it with JB Weld. Works pretty good.

Jim Yergin

I am using a Dodge indicator on my P12 Plymouth. It fits the hole fine. The difference is in the angle of the tube that passes the light to the high beam indicator. I had to cut it off and grind it to the correct angle and then re-attached it with JB Weld. Works pretty good.

Jim Yergin

Thanks for clearing that up Jim. I knew there was something you had to do to make the D24 indicator work in the Plymouth. Just couldn't remember what.

I would guess the MOPAR fire estinguisher would be a toughie. Norm Pennie up in the pacific northwest advertizsd for one repeatedly . I have one with a dent in the side,but never thoght about trying to get it out. Its brass --like most were then,and has a part no. on it. Frank Marescalco

I would guess the MOPAR fire estinguisher would be a toughie. Norm Pennie up in the pacific northwest advertizsd for one repeatedly . I have one with a dent in the side,but never thoght about trying to get it out. Its brass --like most were then,and has a part no. on it. Frank Marescalco

Here is a new one with the box and the bracket.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya