Since Tim has started a "whatzit"... OT

David Maxwell

...I guess I'll throw this one out there... You might be able to make out some of the script, but do you know the story?? If you give up, you can find the story posted in my photobucket gallery. It's the last image in this folder (link at bottom): Hint: That's a wire recorder in the center console!

Muntz-2-web.jpg

Muntz-1-web.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v455/bojeta/Avila%20Beach%20Concours/?start=all

Back in the late 70s/early 80s I worked for a defense aerospace company in Van Nuys, California a short walk from where (...snipped to hide answer...) had his latest venture, making and selling big screen TVs. In the center of the show room full of TVs he had one of his cars from "back when".

He certainly had a colourful career as well as his personal life - quite a guy

Mad Man Muntz built them and targeted them to the celebrities in Cali. The Jet could be had in any color or interior trim the buyer specified. they were mostly hand built to order. Body was designed by or of the notied Italian design firms of the day.

Muntz was one of those Califoria used cars guys famous for his outrageous late night commercials that Johny Carson parodies on his show. Munts bought the assets of the

Kurtis car company, using itheir left over running gear (caddilac mostly) withthe andbuilt bodies. No two are supposidly alike. I believe he was also a paartner of Bill alear and contibuted startup money for the Lear jet.

I had a Muntz 4 track in my 55 Dodge back in the 60's. For the longest time there was still an old Muntz shop at a fork in westbound rte 66, right where Upland CA meets Cucamonga. Still had the Muntz name painted on the building but I think it was used for window tinting or something. I'll bet Tony C, Robert Smith, Darin and a few others know the building.