1952 King Cab Desoto

Bob_Koch

Reg they are still making DeSoto Trucks in Turkey. Don't know if they are still MOPAR based, but they are still called DeSoto.

Here is what our friends at Wikipedia say about it;

Chrysler Corporation introduced the DeSoto brand of trucks in 1937 to provide a greater number of sales outlets overseas for the American-built Dodge and Fargo commercial vehicles. In an exercise of badge engineering typical of Chrysler, the DeSoto mark was later used sporadically in Dodge trucks made in Australia, Argentina, Spain, Turkey or the UK.

After the collapse of Chrysler's overseas truck business, the DeSoto trucks are now only being made in Turkey, where Fargo and DeSoto trucks are still manufactured by Askam but with no technical nor business connection with Chrysler.

I received this info from the owner:

My truck was building in detroit ..."The Desoto model S-3-B- was made in 1952 in Detroit, Michigan , USA. . Has a 108" wheelbase, and capacity of 1/2 ton. It is basically the same as a Dodge truck for the same year. The same model was also made in 1951.

The serial numbers for 1951 start with 82215001 and end with 82256916.

The serial numbers for 1952 trucks start with 82257601 and end with 822302000, so your truck is a 1952 model.

I do not have a photo of one of these trucks, would love to see one.

The original engine would be a T-306 engine, and have a 230 cu inch displacement."

the body seems to have been made by Proctor Keefe Bodies.

Edited by Bob_Koch

I received this info from the owner:

My truck was building in detroit ..."The Desoto model S-3-B- was made in 1952 in Detroit, Michigan , USA. . Has a 108" wheelbase, and capacity of 1/2 ton. It is basically the same as a Dodge truck for the same year. The same model was also made in 1951.

The serial numbers for 1951 start with 82215001 and end with 82256916.

The serial numbers for 1952 trucks start with 82257601 and end with 822302000, so your truck is a 1952 model.

I do not have a photo of one of these trucks, would love to see one.

The original engine would be a T-306 engine, and have a 230 cu inch displacement."

the body seems to have been made by Proctor Keefe Bodies.

Hello, I am Víctor Palma, the DeSoto truck it´s mine. I can see very comments about my truck, and it´s great!!!!!!!!! Thank you very much.

In this saturday, I am go to the meeting of clasic cars, in Concepción city, to 130 km of distance of my house, I hope that my truck, are a god girl.

ahhh, my dog it´s really very happy when running together the truck, or when it´s in the pick-up, this is really, I love my dog!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Reg they are still making DeSoto Trucks in Turkey. Don't know if they are still MOPAR based, but they are still called DeSoto.

Here is what our friends at Wikipedia say about it;

Chrysler Corporation introduced the DeSoto brand of trucks in 1937 to provide a greater number of sales outlets overseas for the American-built Dodge and Fargo commercial vehicles. In an exercise of badge engineering typical of Chrysler, the DeSoto mark was later used sporadically in Dodge trucks made in Australia, Argentina, Spain, Turkey or the UK.

After the collapse of Chrysler's overseas truck business, the DeSoto trucks are now only being made in Turkey, where Fargo and DeSoto trucks are still manufactured by Askam but with no technical nor business connection with Chrysler.

I have seen photos of a few DeSoto trucks over the years but didn't realize they were made right here in the good ole USA. I had never seen a two seater Pilothouse ! Now, along with a Coupe UTE I'll have to add a two seater short bed pickup to my Gotta Have list.

http://www.roadkillontheweb.com/truck.html

Desoto trucks came in all shapes and sizes. This one is really rare because it is a custom ordered body on top of being a Desoto.

They made them in the states and a few other plants and I would say the holy grail of Desoto trucks would be the sweptside. They made at least one but nobody knows where it went to and if it still exsists toady?

deswep.jpg

Of course I would have to say my Australian coupe UTE is pretty special and as far as I know the the only complete one in the states. there are not very many of them down under for that matter.

showute.jpg

PS i really need to update my webpage and add a bunch of other pictures.

post-82-13585352136225_thumb.jpg

post-82-13585352136519_thumb.jpg

post-82-13585352136705_thumb.jpg

post-82-13585352136876_thumb.jpg

• 12 years later...