OK, I know how much you all love those High Roller car shows...

David Maxwell

... so it might surprise you to find that my humble P15 took 2nd place at the Avila Beach Concours d'Elegance. I was asked to put my car in the show and did so only for the novelty. I never expected to win anything. Was amazed when they asked me to pull into the lineup and drive my car to the 18th green for the awards ceremony.

P15radiogrillaward.jpg

I really liked this pic a friend took of my dash so I added the award to it. I also like this pic in sepia so here's that (without the award).

P15radiogrillsepia.jpg

...I do have more pics, but haven't gone through them yet to pic the best for uploading. Also, my friend who is a film "purist". Shot 7 rolls, some color, some black and white. She sent me a text today letting me know they are developed. I'll check out those tomorrow and post some. There were, as you can imagine, some amazing cars at this show. The 1955 Chrysler/Ghia jet car was there. He gave everyone a demo by firing it up for a short drive. There was a flawless 1911 Mercedes touring car with all the brass trimmings. There was a nice lineup of 1930s and 40s Packards, Cadillac limos, Cords, Auburns, etc. Also some more unusual cars. In my class, a 1940 Cadillac La Salle took 1st place. Anyhow, I will post pics soon. Thaks again!

David, do you have more pictures of your car at the show? I would like to see some more and I am sure others would as well.

Again, congrats David, you always seem to leave with something for your hard work at these shows... and why not? You deserve every bit of it! It comes to no surprise to me that you did get second! Yes, there are a lot of high dollar cars at these shows but, when it comes to dedication, attention to detail, you come out on top. Yours is the only P-15 I've ever seen to date that is a living example of what we see in sales books and advertisements.

Good job David, you know how to show them that Plymouth did build great cars and in this case, David builds great cars! ;)

David;

When you completed your car I commented that you had raised the bar to a new standard for all of us. Now it seems you have raised it another notch. For a lowely Plymouth to win over high dollar iron is unheard of. A harty congratulations!!!

Edited by Don Coatney
David not Dave

... on my car. It was a lot of fun. Mostly because I really didn't expect to win and therefore was only focused on checking out the beautiful cars there. Although I knew it was the Concours and they would be checking the car over well, I was a still amazed to see a team of 4 judges at my car. One crawled under the car, one under the dash, one checked over the engine completely including having me run it, toot the horn, check the headlights, taillights, brake lights, parking lights, run the wipers etc. They also checked in the trunk, under the package tray, and of course examined all the paint and chrome closely. More interesting to me than concerning because I thought "what the heck?, I'm not gonna win anyway". I'm going to ask for a copy of the score sheet. I'm curious to know where I lost points though I can guess at several categories. I know they took off points for not having the original jack. Wish I had known because I do have one, but didn't think to bring it. A very beautiful and enjoyable day for everyone. There was a nice collection of vintage motorcycles: Harleys, BSA, Indian, Excelsior, Ducati, Norton, Crocker, BMW, etc.. Even had a 1916 SEARS which I'm sure was made for them by either Harley or Excelsior.

Avila-Sears-web1.jpg

Dave;

When you completed your car I commented that you had raised the bar to a new standard for all of us. Now it seems you have raised it another notch. For a lowely Plymouth to win over high dollar iron is unheard of. A harty congratulations!!!