The Blob

Normspeed

Just saw this movie again tonight on Turner Classic Movies. The 1958 original. Great old Sci Fi, and in color too. Steve McQueen's co-star is a 53 Plymouth convertible, green with a red interior. (to Robert KB: yes, it's bone- stock). Great scene where he races a 40 Ford coupe to the next stoplight...in reverse! Cops drive a 57 Plymouth. At the end is a scene where the local hot rodders come to the rescue. In quick succession there's a 40 Ford coupe, a chopped merc, a Ford roadster pickup (long bed), a 46-48 Ford red convertible, and a Deuce 5 window that appears to be a RHD!. Corny special effects but a nice snapshot of what people looked like, back in the day.

post-64-13585352066626_thumb.jpg

Edited by Normspeed

I caught that flick last night too. The "reverse race" sounds like a good topic for the Miff Busters Show. Two question, how did they get the Blob into the airplane and why did they parachute it into the Arctic instead of just kicking it out of the plane?

The movie The Blob was filmed in Phoenixsville, PA. The movie theatre that was used in the original verison of the movie still exists in town and still has a Blob fest every year.

I live about 6 miles from the movie theatre.

Rich HArtung

Valley Forge PA

Two question, how did they get the Blob into the airplane and why did they parachute it into the Arctic instead of just kicking it out of the plane?

It's been a long time since I've seen that movie. I have no memory of that ending.

So... now with this global warming melting the ice caps, does that mean the Blob may be returning!?:eek:

I smell sequel coming!

it was for the discalaimer No Blobs were injured in the making of this film.

There is a wesite that has a good catalog of movie scenes with cars. It is searchable by movie title and by car brand. If you put in search for cars in the movies it should come up.

Here is a quiz based on you knowledge or your resoursfulness;

In the Alfred Hitchcock movie of North by Northwest, there is a scene where the main character is being chased by a crop duster airplane. He runs out of the corn field onto a road, and several vehicles are pulled over. Who is the character, who played him, and what is in the back of the Pilothouse Dodge pulled to the shoulder in that scene?

Edited by greg g

A couple more shots, P24 assisting emergency personnel, and the theatre with stampeding moviegoers.

One nice thing, when Stevie fires up his Mopar, there's no after-the-fact added in the studio engine sound effect. That is a good old flattie you're hearing.

PS, Greg, I know 2 answers, let's see if anyone can ace your quiz.

post-64-13585352072234_thumb.jpg

post-64-1358535207261_thumb.jpg

it was for the discalaimer No Blobs were injured in the making of this film.

There is a wesite that has a good catalog of movie scenes with cars. It is searchable by movie title and by car brand. If you put in search for cars in the movies it should come up.

Here is a quiz based on you knowledge or your resoursfulness;

In the Alfred Hitchcock movie of North by Northwest, there is a scene where the main character is being chased by a crop duster airplane. He runs out of the corn field onto a road, and several vehicles are pulled over. Who is the character, who played him, and what is in the back of the Pilothouse Dodge pulled to the shoulder in that scene?

Gregory Peck is the only thing I can come up with. What was in the back of the Dodge? Norman Bates' mother.

Crazy, what a coincidence. My Great Dane at the blob last night...sigh...The movie was based on an actual event. Wanna say in Texas. Rained one night the next day this glob stuff was everywhere. Its a slime mold called Physarum polycephalum. Pretty cool, its a single cell organism that can grow almost to a meter in diameter. Usually found in damp dark places like woods. Anyways, had some in a petri dish. Apparently if you eat it it makes you thirsty. Bukowski has been downing water like crazy!