My custom dash

Fireball

Here's my alternate for woodgraining, kinda marbeleizing tech.

1. I first shot the black base and let it dry

2. Then I took some light gold base, and applied it over the black with household wraparound plastic foil. Dip the foil in paint but keep it on the dry side.

3. Next goes some darker gold with same technique.

4. Then I added some silver and the surface was ready for top coat...

5. Lay down the green candy clear

6. Cover with clear

post-713-13585352012602_thumb.jpg

post-713-13585352013301_thumb.jpg

post-713-13585352040106_thumb.jpg

post-713-13585352040962_thumb.jpg

I think this will look kool with my new seafoam green overcoat. Hopefully tomorrow I have time to start installing back the chrome with new autometer vintage gauges, at this stage I have no idea how i will put them but we'll see.

Obviously I used the same trick for all the window trims and steering wheel

post-713-13585352041686_thumb.jpg

post-713-13585352042881_thumb.jpg

post-713-13585352043504_thumb.jpg

post-713-13585352044151_thumb.jpg

post-713-13585352044852_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fireball

Thanks, just came back from garage and shot the final clear coat. It really makes the difference with candy, a whole lotta deeper effect now.

It's good to let the inner artist free every now and then...

It also would be nice to know what happened with one panel out of seven. After candy it boiled like crazy despite the fact that I used same materials and path with that one. I'm glad it only happened on glovebox lid and not all. Maybe I didn't use the silicone remover afterall on that piece, but then it should have boiled with black base already. Mr Murphy!

Got most of the trim polished and installed. The new gauges will be put first into swirl polished aluminum adapters and then into dash inserts. These pieces are yet to be made. I only got the speedo mocked up. The ruined glovebox lid will get another treat, I'll swirl polish the lower part of it also and let it be on metal instead of paint. Let's see how that turns out.

Speedo on it's original location, then oil pressure and water temp where they used to be. Voltage and fuel I'll somehow place where the radio buttons are as stock.

Stick with the plan?

post-713-13585352056476_thumb.jpg

post-713-13585352057027_thumb.jpg

post-713-13585352057704_thumb.jpg

post-713-13585352058413_thumb.jpg

post-713-13585352059105_thumb.jpg

wow, that looks awesome! it reminds me of the material they use to make guitar picks. I've seen a few streetrods that have had gauge inserts made of that stuff, but never a whole dash made to look like it! very cool! the candy you used, is it a candy topcoat or a candy clear? I think something like that would look pretty cool for my dash as well but in red. and I would love more info on how it was done and what materials were used, paint and so on.

Looks great Fireball. I have to admit I was a little unsure when I saw the first couple of pics. I was like " What the heck!!" I was wrong...it looks great and is surely one of a kind. Well done!

Same here! Wanna do something similar but in brown marble for my car? I've got a guest bedroom and everything for ya. :)

Don't make me blush boys! The black, both golds and silver were regular 2k automotive bases applied with plastic as seen in photos. The candy I used was SEM concentrate which is mixed into 1k clear http://semproducts.com/Catalog.asp?prod=171 and then oversprayed with regular 2k automotive clear for the final finish. I used PPG for that, but anything goes basically.

And there's not necessarity to use many shades under the candy, black and just silver would do also fine, but I just wanted to use more since I had them already. This can be done also so that the whole base is silver and then black is added with plastic.

These guys are the masters, simply put "marble" into gallery search in upper left corner, and you'll see how it looks in different colors

http://www.attitudecustompainting.com/gallery2/main.php

thanks for the info, I am REALLY thinking about doing this kind of look in my car. how much paint did it take for you to do the dash? and the window trim and such? do you think a spraycan would give a good result? there is an auto paint store near me that will make custom spraycans if the color you choose. that would make it much easier for me to do it myself, otherwise I have to go to a paintshop and that adds to the cost.

About 12-13oz of each, black, candy and clear. Could have used even more clear, and also the more candy layers the darker and deeper the tone. But that's the ballpark. Sure it's doable with rattlecans, they can mix the same automotive stuff in those. But my guess is that the cost is actually higher? But if you don't have painting equipment ready then obviously sprays are the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Took a bit longer than expected but now it's finally ready. The knobs need some treat also, and I'm still struggling with the glovebox lid, whether to leave it or paint it. And most likely I'll change the clock to same series as the new gauges are. Oh, and the speedo needs to be changed to electric version. I bought the set before I knew my new tranny has no cable...

post-713-13585352240485_thumb.jpg

post-713-13585352241038_thumb.jpg

post-713-13585352242668_thumb.jpg

post-713-13585352243268_thumb.jpg

Very interesting. With a toned down interior that will look great. Send pics of the total interior when finished. For my taste too busy, but I still like it. I have a daughter who paints with rags, etc, not with brushes. The results are very, very, nice, as is yours.

• 3 weeks later...

I had once thought about doing something similar to a set of P15 knobs. Using your basic idea except going with a combo of the original ivory color and a pearl color. The difference would from the original would be subtle but unique. I'll have to play around with a mock-up version in Photoshop and see if it's worth trying. Trick would be to maintain a translucent effect.