Duplicating a 1947 California License Plate

47heaven

Does anyone know of any places that not only restore old license plates, but also can knock off a duplicate that will pass through the DMV? I refuse to pay $300-$500 for those thin pieces of old tin. There's gotta be a better way. I heard that people were able to use knock-offs. Is this true?

Here in Calif. don't get caught or they will impound your car. Here is what the law says. That is why there are a few of us who are looking for plates werre in the same boat as you, don't want to pay the price for old plates.

Dennis

Year of Manufacture (YOM) license plates are any officially manufactured California license plates issued prior to 1963 that are determined to be legible and serviceable by the DMV. YOM plates may be assigned in lieu of regular license plates to any currently registered 1962 or older year model motor vehicle or trailer of a corresponding model year.

Vehicles with YOM plates have full operating privileges and

are not restricted to participation in historical vehicle activities.

The plates must be supplied by the vehicle owner and authenticated by DMV

personnel. Base year plates must have the appropriate year validation sticker attached to the plate to be authenticated as other than the base year (for example, a 1956 plate with a 1958 sticker equals a 1958 plate).

Does anyone ever go to flea market and antique shops???? Sometimes they have old plates, often in a box full of them over many years. Such a place might be more reasonable than ebay. Just a thought. I sort of look for such things but haven't found anything outstanding. I have 46-47-48 MO plates.

I can not imagine that someone could make a set of plates from scratch which is identical to the original plates for less than $200. Their labor time along would add up to that.

In any event, the law is the law and you would not want to get your car impounded and have to face a forgery charge for the difference between $200 and $400 for an original set of plates.

I got my 1947 plates for about $200 from a dealer. They were brand new old stock still in the original envelope.

James

Bob T is correct. You really don't have to pay those high prices for a set of old license plates. Hit the flea markets, etc. and also the swap meets. I see guys with large boxes full of old plates all the time at the swap meets. Prices range from about $5 to $15 each, so a matching pair would run about $30 to $50 or less. Some of the plates may need restoring, but in most states you can get away with that. I think Ed Griffin restored a pair of YOM plates for Don Coatney a couple of years ago, that Don now uses. Also a lot of the plates I see in boxes just need cleaning up and would pass the DMV inspection without restoring.

So, the trick to not paying $200 to $400 for tin is to get out and go to the swap meets. Remember, if you're looking on ebay, so are a million other people who don't want to take the time and energy to save a few bucks. So you'll pay the high price there.

I figured that the news about duplicating would be grim. I've gone to antique stores and swapmeets, but haven't had the same luck as some of you have. I know that a lot of these plates are hanging in old barns and garages somewhere, probably getting thrown away by people unaware of what they have. I guess it's just going to be a long hunt a peck process.

Finding cheapo matching plates at flea markets, antique shops etc is incredibly unlikely here in CA. I've found exactly two bargain-priced sets in the 20+ years i've been hitting swaps, flea markets and antique stores. You can find unmatched plates all day long for a few bucks-- finding the matched pair is the key.

if you don't mind 'fudging' the limits of the law a bit, you can try a couple of things that i've seen around here...

if your '47 has newer plates that are old enough to still have the raised 'california' (maybe thru '88?) you can repaint them old style and they look pretty good. not exactly right, but close enough and pretty much free. i've had repainted newer plates on a '51 crosley for almost 10 years (and lots of driving) and have never had a problem.

the other choice is a bit more extreme: find one good conditioned plate. cast a mold of it in plaster. Use the mold to make a fiberglass duplicate of the plate, paint and install. This can have very good results IF you don't have to go into DMV with the plates, but just have to have the car pass a visual inspection. this was all figured out when some asshat made off with one of the original plates on a '62 valiant. if the theft was reported to DMV the remaining plate would have had to have been turned in for replacement with the ugly new CA plates. The fiberglass repop allowed the car to stay on the road with its original numbers and original look. not EXACTLY legal, but....

I don't mind sliding by and leaving the front plate off and under the seat, but duplicating plates could land one in a lot of hot water. Not only could you be hit with a fine and possibly fraud charges, but in other ways.

Here's a question for Croslykook. If one of your plates were stolen, what happens if that plate is put on a car and then used to commit a crime? Who's the cops going to look for? YOU, because you own that plate number! I would report that plate stolen if it were me, just to be safe. Having a matching pair of YOM plates just would be worth that much possible trouble to me.

Here's a guy who will make a second plate for $50.http://www.darrylsplates.com/

Here in Washington only the rear plate is necessary for vintage plated vehicles, where as two plates are required for everything else. I would check with your local DMV to see if California has the same requirement. Most states have similar DMV statutes. Then that single plate will be of advantage to you.

MN is the same way now. Only 1 plate required for anything eligable to run collector plates even if you aren't running them. Here in MN YOM plates are treated the same as collector plates.

This is not legal...

1. You call special processing at Sacto DMV and read them a plate number to make sure it is not in the system. Thank them...and mention to them you will go buy that orginal plate from a dealer

2. You go to the local DMV office and order a personalized plate with that number.

3. You have someone make you a set of original plates with that number.

4. You put the personalized plates in the trunk and the yellow ones on the car.

If a cop runs the plates it comes back as it should. I doubt anyone would ever figure it out....

James

In Iowa we can't run the old plates legally. I have one plate that is YOM that I put on the front of my '52 pickup and hide the legal plate under my seat cover in case I get stopped.

I talked to an officer who works at a local burger joint directing the traffic for the weekend shows and he said the older officers may overlook the old plate because they understand what the intent is. The younger officers are more apt to stop you.

There are too many restrictions for me to get legal "antique" labeled plates. I want the freedom to jump in it and run around town if the mood strikes.

i bought an old plate for my car at the swap meet for $75 and re-painted it myself. i just put it on my car and keep my legal plates with me. not legal, but i used to do alot of worse things with cars when younger. i figure at my age it won't be a problem and the way we drive these cars we just don't get pulled over like we used to. i have a chrysler plate on the front which also isn't legal. guess i haven't lost my rebellious nature[ or stupidiy, depending on how you look at it].part of it is i just don't care, screw 'em if they don't like it. its only a license plate on an old car with an old guy driving. dennis

In SOME states you put old plates on the cars and you never change them???

Do you register (ie pay regisration and personal property taxes EACH year??)

Do you have to afix some sort of sticker each year to the plate??

OR an old plate is permanent registration??

Here I have seen antique plates BUT are only good for parades etc., most run regular plates for dialy drivers.

Only other thing is prestige plates IF somebody doesnt own the letters and numbers already. And most everything is taken... My brother -in - law has a great one,,we are the home of the Huskers and 'Go Big Red'. He has a bright red pickup,his plate is 'red4ever'

Takes alot of figgering to decipher some of those.

Guest jtw3749c

Indiana just passed the law allowing the old original plates on old cars. Don't go into effect until Dec 2007. I has a box of old Indiana plates in my shop. So dating back to 1915 I think. Glad they finally came around. Michigan has had them for some time now. Pretty Kool....

Here I have seen antique plates BUT are only good for parades etc., most run regular plates for dialy drivers.

Only other thing is prestige plates IF somebody doesnt own the letters and numbers already. And most everything is taken... My brother -in - law has a great one,,we are the home of the Huskers and 'Go Big Red'. He has a bright red pickup,his plate is 'red4ever'

Here in Georgia..using the YOM tag is very simple and very OLD CAR friendly...simply take your tag to DMV for inspection..they cross the current registration to this tag and you display the YOM tag..You must however keep have and keep current tag and registration in the car. Cost...none...

Here in Wisconsin we have Collector Plates for old cars. I paid for registration with the collector plates in 1995. Those plates are good forever without ever having to pay again on the P15. Can drive the car anywhere, anytime except during the month of January each year.

We have historical plates here in Georgia..car must be 25 years old or older..car tag is normal registration price and is renewed annually..the tag has an embossed antique car on the tag..very nice..again..same as regular tag in cost and can be used year round...we do have some pluses here in this state for old cars. I had this tag on my Sunbeam until just this past year when the YOM law was updated to include my 66 model and I then got a correct weight and county coded tag for my car.