1950 - what do i have?

opticsguy

I know what I have but I dont know what I have.

I purchased a 1950 Dodge fuel tanker with no title and no serial number plate inside the door.

Serial number off the frame: 86513259 This number would appear to make the truck a California production model. I cant seem to make this truck fit into any of the serial numbers listed on this website based on the F model series. Also, according to the Dodge VIN decoder (http://t137.com/registry/help/decode.php) "Serial Number 86513259 has a sequence number of 13259 that is out of range or is a serial number not recognized by this decoder."

Engine serial number: I -18412????????? (the last few numbers fade away...........) How does the engine number tie into the serial number or is there any connection?

Wheel base is 128".

The engine is a T-178 (T-148????????????) 236 CI six cylinder. D. Bunns book lists both the T-178 and T-148 for the 236 CI engine so not sure what I have.

Casting date on the engine is:

1 - 13

Engine casting: 11381295 which i assume is a part number.

The cab plate located on the fire wall is: 4912-9321-T

The 4912 code does not match any of the B-series truck body model numbers lisated in D. Bunns book. Is there any info on how to decipher the 9321-T ?

What I think i have:

B-2-F based on the 1 1/2 ton rating, the 5 lug wheels and NO 2-speed rear end.

So can anyone tell me what I really have?

Thanks for all responese and enlightenment.

The serial# on the frame is the same # that would be on the pillar data spec plate. Your serial# indictes that it is a 1950 B2F series 1-1/2 ton truck out of San Leandro. T148 engine code is only for B1 series trucks-236ci. T178 is B2F 1950 trucks with the same 236ci. engine.

4912 cab code is shown as for models B2B, B2C, and B2D cabs only.

4920 is the cab code for a b2F truck.

All this info is from the September 1948 to 50 Dodge truck parts list.

Bob

I posted a photo, just waiting for it to be approved.

Not sure where to find the 1948-1950 parts listing for information.

Thanks again for your replies.

PS. I am only 50 miles from woodieville, north of you in Bellingham. the truck was on display at the Anacortes show in September.