James Douglas Unknown Part

Jim Yergin

James,

On your web page you have a picture of an "unknown part" from your 1947 Desoto. Maybe you already know what it is, but if you don't, I recently purchased on Ebay what was described as a turn signal circuit breaker for Chrysler, Desoto, Dodge and Plymouth. Here is the description and a picture of what I bought. It looks like one of your "unknown" parts.

Jim Yergin

"This auction is for a new old stock Klixon circuit breaker for Mopar CDPD vehicles, part number 1161568. This is a turn signal breaker for 1946-48 Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth, and Desoto and break circuit breaker for 46-48 Dodge."

post-27-13585344999152_thumb.jpg

James,

On your web page you have a picture of an "unknown part" from your 1947 Desoto. Maybe you already know what it is, but if you don't, I recently purchased on Ebay what was described as a turn signal circuit breaker for Chrysler, Desoto, Dodge and Plymouth. Here is the description and a picture of what I bought. It looks like one of your "unknown" parts.

Jim Yergin

"This auction is for a new old stock Klixon circuit breaker for Mopar CDPD vehicles, part number 1161568. This is a turn signal breaker for 1946-48 Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth, and Desoto and break circuit breaker for 46-48 Dodge."

Jim, Did the thing come with any instructions ? Best, James

On my 47 Suburban, I got a flasher with attached circuit breaker that looks 'zackly like the one pictured on James Douglas' web site. I'd have to go out to the freezing cold garage to see how I wired it. But for sake of this forum, no sacrifice is too great. I'm just working up my resolve. Yep, any minut now, I'm going out to the garage.

Sort of reminds me of an episode where Andy Taylor and Barney Fife are sitting on the porch, and Barney keeps saying that he's going to go home, get a soda, take a nap, and go over to what's her name, his sort of girl friend. Yep, I'm going out to the garage.

Yep, went home, had a soda, took a nap, went over to Thelma Lou's and watched some television. Rather, I went out to the garage.

My flasher can is clamped to the heater housing. Maybe this grounds the flasher. A hot lead from the ignition switch connects to the end of the circuit breaker. The circuit breaker connects to one of the spades on the can. The other spade has wires running to the turn signal switch, I suppose.

So the innards of flasher heat up, breaking the circuit, then cool down, closing the circuit again. Pleep, pleep, etc. This pulsing current is dispatched by the turn signal to the appropriate lamps. If there's troo much current, the circuit breaker comes into play.

I found one of these under the dash of my P-15 when I rewired it. I tried to use it in the system but for whatever reason it was defunct. I threw it away!

It connected to the hot terminal of the flasher and the wire to the ignition S/W.