Slant 6 alternator question

Herr Otto

I know this is not a slant 6 forum but I was hoping someone here may know the answer to this question. I have searched the net , unsuccessfully. I just purchased a 1949 Dodge Pilothouse Pick up truck and the previous owner replaced the flat head 6 with a slant 6. The installation is not complete and I need to relocate the alternator from the passenger side to the drivers side. I know there were some applications where the alternator was on the drivers side.(http://www.allpar.com/slant6.html ) Can anyone tell me which vehicles and what years the alternator was on the drivers side on a slant 6. In addition where I could obtain the drivers side alternator bracket?

Thank you,

Otto

If it doesn't have a power steering pump installed you may be able to use the bolt bosses from the pump mounting-or even the pump braked to mount the alternator.

I picked up an alternator bracket from a straight six early sixties GM truck truck and modified it to work with the new single wire GM alternator I purchased. I ran the single 8gauge wire to the starter solenoid. Is there a way I can wire an amp. gauge to tell if it is actually charging?

Thanks,

Otto

I converted my 52 1ton and 36 plymouth to 12V and installed a voltmeter and bypassed the ampmeter. The wiring scheme on all the older mopars ran everything through the ampmeter. If you start adding accessories (big stereo, AC, or high amp lights) the ampmeter wasn't designed for that load. The voltmeter gives you a better picture of what is going on with the charging system (in my mind anyway). If you're going to keep using the ampmeter, you'll have to reverse the wiring on the two posts on the rear of the meter since you'be probably changed to a negative ground with the conversion. Mike

I picked up an alternator bracket from a straight six early sixties GM truck truck and modified it to work with the new single wire GM alternator I purchased. I ran the single 8gauge wire to the starter solenoid. Is there a way I can wire an amp. gauge to tell if it is actually charging?

Thanks,

Otto

Be aware that the alternator you are choosing doesn't start charging untill the rpms get revved up. In other words if you start your truck cold and let it idle, you are running off of your battery, unless you decide to rev up your cold engine to get it charging. I have heard that an alternator shop can change the internals to adjust this.

I have seen some of these conversions that just kill the batteries. One was a diesel tractor and the other was a jap forklift. The rpms in these cases just didn't get up there enough to start the charging system.

Why is it designed like this? Perhaps a chevy engine doesn't have enough power at idle to drive a charging system. lol