a little putty, a little paint,...

MacGyver

...we'll make her look like what she ain't. ;)

I've been tired of the multi-color clown car look so I decided to get a little bit of sanding and painting done. Now this won't be the last time the ol' dodge receives a body treatment but for now at least it will all be the same color and the minor surface imperfections will be neutralized. And guess what? Only found two small dents previously filled and no major holes in the metal. :P

post-490-13585351605234_thumb.jpg

post-490-13585351605904_thumb.jpg

Looks like you've been busy. Now I won't know your car from the others with the primer on it. Brother in law said he was following a gold colored D24 coupe a few weeks ago in his 38 Ford Coupe. Said he had driven over to the car show on Layton Ave. Told him that was probably you in the gold dodge. Don't know of any others around here.

I've been doing a little body work myself on my coupe (finally). I'm only touching up the old paint though with the same color for now. Not quite a perfect match since the old paint is faded, but good enough until I get done. Won't paint the whole car though. Will take it over to Maaco for a cheapie paint job when finished with the touch up.;)

I did see your brother-in-law in his coupe, we exchanged a wave or two as we were driving; what a fine looking car he's got!

This flat black job is only a thin temporary coat to help me see the imperfections. I'm no pro by any means but a thin coat of black and all the low/high spots just jumped right out at me. When I get done and look like Popeye from all the sanding I'm planning on either borrowing a spray gun from a friend or just running it over to Maaco. To be honest, I miss the gold color already.

post-490-1358535167033_thumb.jpg

I noticed that stool too. I can just see the kid that belongs to coming out and jerking it away as soon as he gets up.:D

As for painting. I like the Maaco way the best. Doesn't cost that much more for the cheapie job, and it's better than my paint job would be too. Plus, I don't have the mess to clean up afterward.

If you liked the 38 Ford Coupe he was driving, you should see his 36 Ford 3 window coupe. The 38 was last painted in the early 60's so it does have some slight alligator cracks in it. The 38 looked like that when he bought it about 10 years ago. Bought it to just drive it for fun, not rebuild it, so just does what's needed to keep it going. Looks good from a few feet away though. But....the 36 is completely restored and really nice inside and out.

post-8-1358535168119_thumb.jpg

That tricycle did work out nicely. It was comfortable and rolled well over the stones. I tried using that "Little Tykes" car in the background but once I was inside I just didn't have the elbow room I needed to be effective. :P

I've taken a break on the sanding for the last 2 days cuz of the rain but I'll jump back on it tomorrow and hopefully have it prepped and ready for Maaco by the weekend.

go first class here: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94435

or maybe a tad less expensive: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90825

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=46319

I see they no longer have the little square seat like I got from them many years ago..has serve me well..excellent for working lower body panel with WOW's

Tim, thanks for the stool samples :eek: Maybe that was in bad taste. For $29.99 I pretty much can't afford Not to get one. Should work nicely when wrenching on the motorcycles as well.

Frankie47, I haven't decided on a color yet. That seems to be the hardest part for me. My girlfriend is voting for a nice deep black because it "will look more gangster." The era might be a little off but I think she'd look hot hanging out the window in a fedora holding a tommy gun. My thoughts have covered the entire spectrum. Now I'm stuck between its original Lullaby Blue 223 or the Fortress or Opal Gray.:confused: