Rocker panel trim clips source?

RobertKB

I am looking for the clips that hold the rocker panel trim in place. My trim is off as I am getting the car painted and although they are in OK shape they are not the best and I would like new. I cannot find them in the Restoration Specialties catalogue. Everything but. I did a search of related threads on the forum and came across the name RJ&L Automotive Fasteners. Has anyone on the forum dealt with these guys? Would you happen to know if they have the rocker trim clips? I cannot find a catalogue on their site so I thought I would ask here before phoning or emailing them. Thanks for any help!

Robert, let me know if you find a source, I need a complete set for my car too, I still need to order more body side trim clips too, only using 1/2 of what I should be, those little suckers are expensive for what they are, rocker trim clips will no doubt be more scratch than the body clips......

I thought we were talking about this some time ago and someone mentioned that NAPA had something that would work. What I remember is that NAPA had some item in their hardware drawers that would work but the likelihood is that the employees would either not know it was there or would not be familiar with its use as a rocker trim clip.

Or maybe I dreamed it up, which seems to be more common lately.

the original style rocker clips are very "specific" in design curve and width etc etc..a generic probably would not come close to working as the snap and lock method of affixing to the rocker panel makes access from the rear an impossibility. Even with the replacment rockers that do not have the punched receiving holes for the clip make using the original an added pain in the butt..alternative methods can be made to work but are involved...one method is affixing clip with a sheet metal screw or rivet..and this has been a prpular method over the years in keeping original in place..look at how many destroyed trim pieces are out there..

I have an idea, not yet implemeted per say, that to make my own clips and run it through both the inner and outer rocker with a peice of metal gas line tube welded to both inner and outer rocker as a thru-pass for the threaded rod..this will allow you to keep the rockers still somewhat water tight, prevent crushing on agressive "thighteners" and not have you dependent on other retailers..

The wleding of the tibe to both metal will keet the rockers at the exact distance at all time and allow torque to be applied to the fastener nuts..to have them float would still work to a degree..but be careful they do not fall inside the rocker on assembly..guess you could flare the inner rocker side and prevent that..or spot weld a washer..or even better yet got to the hardware store and buy the long threaded tubes for lamps and the half nuts..hold the applause till I exit the room please...lol

I have contacted RJ&L Fasteners and they do make the clips. Unfortunately, right now they are out of stock but indicated they will be making more this winter. I have asked for an approximate date and indicated there are lots of people who might be interested. I will keep the forum updated on this and I will also contact Restoration Specialties to see if they have anything not shown in their catalogue.

I contacted RJ&L Fasteners again and they said they would start the tooling to make new ones after the Hershey show and likely have the fasteners ready by January or February. This company has been very quick to respond to my questions and most helpful. Always a good sign and I think I will wait and order from them early next year.