Car shows in California

Thomba48

Hi

holiday next year shall lead us to California again.

But this time I have decided to plan it slightly more ahead- saying that:

I want to attend a real good and big car show. More for browsing and looking at 40s cars that I would normally not see here in Europe; maybe even for a bit of buying.

Now, on the East Coast everybody seems to be raving about Hershey. Is there, maybe even are there, any equivalents on the West Coast that I should plan in when organising my itinary and the exact timing of the trip.

Always welcome for any ideas, hints and recommendations.

Thank you guys. Thom

I haven't checked the schedule for these shows so I'm estimating dates, but you can look each up online. Unless otherwise noted, all classes of cars participate.

Wheels and Waves in Santa Barbara around April each year. 400+ cars

Wheels and Windmills in Solvang (date ?) 300+ cars

Lompoc Police Dept/Special Olympics in Sept each year. 170+ cars

Los Alamos Old Days around Sept/Oct each year. 150+ cars

Kalifornia Kustoms in Santa Maria around May/June each year. 1500+ cars mostly custom.

Pismo Beach Classic around late June/July each year. 700+ cars

Arroyo Grande.... (date ?) each year. 500+ cars

Atascadero Hot August Nights. 300+ cars

Many smaller shows in Morro Bay, Cambria, Lompoc, Santa Maria, Orcutt, San Luis Obispo etc.

Avila Beach Concourse De Elegance (date ?, annual ?, number cars ?) Many fine vintage domestic and foreign.

• 3 months later...

My favorites are the L.A. Roadster Show in Pomona, held on Fathers Day weekend in June. The show is for pre-37 roadsters, but the preferred parking is a huge show of everything else, and the swap meet is big. Also the Pomona swap, held periodically. If in Southern Cal, be sure to check out the Bob's Big Boy cruise night in Toluca Lake. Best cruise ever, hands down. I couldn't even begin to list all the crazy stuff that comes through there.

When are you coming to sunny California? That would help to tell you what is going on, like the Grand National Roadster Show is going on next month at the Pomona Fairgrounds. Tony C

I guess in addition to when it might be nice to know where: California extends about 800 miles (1300 KM) from north to south. That is farther than New York, New York is from Chicago, Illinois. Just because you are in the state does not mean that a particular car show will be accessible to you with a reasonable amount of driving.

Edited by TodFitch

One of my favorite shows is the Cruisin' Morro Bay show. It is the first weekend in May. They close off most of the main streets in Morro Bay, which is a small town just below San Simeon (Hearst Castle) and get about 500+ cars. A LOT of muscle cars and rods (which is ALL you see at Pismo), but lately I have seen a lot of 40's and 50's as well. I have gone every year since 1998, and it keeps getting better. A great place to spend a few days as well.

Hi

holiday next year shall lead us to California again.

But this time I have decided to plan it slightly more ahead- saying that:

I want to attend a real good and big car show. More for browsing and looking at 40s cars that I would normally not see here in Europe; maybe even for a bit of buying.

Now, on the East Coast everybody seems to be raving about Hershey. Is there, maybe even are there, any equivalents on the West Coast that I should plan in when organising my itinary and the exact timing of the trip.

Always welcome for any ideas, hints and recommendations.

Thank you guys. Thom

Thom...unfortunately, you are not going to see a lot of 40's cars out here in California unless that have been customized, hot rodded and or chopped. Not sure if that is what you are looking for or want to see more stock and original ones, which are even more scarce. Also, at most of the car shows out here you really have to look for them amongst the sea of '55-'57 Chevys, Corvettes, T-Birds and Chevelles.