218 Gasket set source

DanOlson

• 1 month later...

FEL-PRO Part # HS7564C {HEAD SETS (HS) are used for upper engine repair only, typically on a valve grind.}

L-Head engine

Is this the right part?

They have it listed for a 50 B-1-C and I have a 49 B-1-C. They do not list one for a 48 or 49. Any reason these would not be correct. They are both 218's

This was at rockauto

The later head has 1 water passage through it. So if your head is straight across at the front its the early style. If you have 1 "bump" outwards thats the water passage and you need the later style. I've seen the later style used on early motors without issue. The other way around wouldn't work

this one has a bunch of year ranges. also says it will do the 201, 218, and 230. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-1934-60-Plymouth-Dodge-201-218-230-Head-Gasket_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem587da32ef8QQitemZ380064968440QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

What am I missing. I would really like to see a picture of that head gasket with the extra holes.

Look at the thermostat housing. If it's a simple one like in this picture it's most likely an internal bypass engine. there's also a small bump at the front of the head to accomodate the extra coolant passage.

P9240505.jpg

If it has the external bypass the thermostat neck will look like this

PB050365.jpg

WOW, a lot of posts snuk in while I got sidetracked while writing up my reply. (darn work :P) I don't have any good pictures that show the "bump" on the front of the head, but here are some of the difference in the gasket.

External bypass head gasket sitting on an internal bypass block

P9230499.jpg

P9230500.jpg

And a shot of the Internal bypass head gasket.

P9230501.jpg

When I rebuilt my engine' date=' I bought all my gasket sets from NAPA. However, had to return the head gasket. NAPA only had the one with a bump on the front edge as Merle's Internal bypass picture. Holes would not line up properly, so returned it and picked up the correct one from Gasket City.[/quote']

What year is your truck?

Mine is a 49

T142-114779 is the engine number near the top drivers side.

I ordered one from Napa. Comes in tomorrow. Would like to get the whole gasket set from rockauto tho, as it is cheaper than just the head gasket from napa

the rockauto gasket has the little bump out like you said for the internal.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=121713

are all the rest of the holes the same?

Would that little bumpout make a difference on the external bypass?

You don't have a picture of the one gasket on top of the other do you?

thanks for all the help so far.

I have a friend coming on monday to finally get this motor running after sitting for 8 years.

When I rebuilt my engine' date=' I bought all my gasket sets from NAPA. However, had to return the head gasket. NAPA only had the one with a bump on the front edge as Merle's Internal bypass picture. Holes would not line up properly, so returned it and picked up the correct one from Gasket City.[/quote']

The one with the bump can be used on either engine. I've seen plenty that had that little spot sticking out. I suppose if you really cared you could trim it off too.

What year is your truck?

Mine is a 49

T142-114779 is the engine number near the top drivers side.

I ordered one from Napa. Comes in tomorrow. Would like to get the whole gasket set from rockauto tho, as it is cheaper than just the head gasket from napa

Don't have a truck, but I have the same engine in my 48 Plymouth coupe.;) That was the only reason I replied to this question. I did buy my gasket set for the engine though from NAPA. Only had to return the head gasket. It's not included in the gasket set anyway, so it was easy to return it and keep the other gaskets. While on the subject, the timing chain cover gasket isn't included in the gasket sets either. You also have to order that separately.

The one with the bump can be used on either engine. I've seen plenty that had that little spot sticking out. I suppose if you really cared you could trim it off too.

Ed,

You may see people running with those gaskets. But.......when you lay the gasket with the bump onto the engine block, the holes do line up exactly as they should. You can still get the bolts through the holes though, just not through the center of the hole. The mechanic who was helping on my engine recommended I not use it.

This got my curriosity up so I looked up a picture of my engine. Its hard to see but I think I see that little loop sticking out from between my head and block. Looks like I might be running one of the later head gaskets.

P8200001.jpg