OT sell her or keep her

radioguy7

Ok, don't know how many old caddy fans there are here but I have a dilema. I had the 55 caddy uncovered the other day and this guy sees it driving by and stops to see the car. We strike up a conversation and he offers to buy the car from me. I told him it wasn't for sale but this guy wouldn't take no for an answer so after many offers I told him I would consider his offer.

Problem is...I love this car and really always thought I would get er done some day when I had the extra cash. I have been buying parts along the way since I've owned it but it kills me to see it sitting outside under a cover. My garage is full and I really do have too many projects on going as it is.

The car is a south carolina car that is very solid and straight with the exception of needing new floors welded in front and back. It needs a paint job, new tires and brakes gone through.So, my question is, what would you guys do?? hold onto it until a future date to restore it or take the money and run while the taking is good??

post-3173-13585351145029_thumb.jpg

post-3173-13585351145762_thumb.jpg

You will never be able to afford another one that nice after you sell it. So ask your self if the dream is truly doable in your lifetime with the commitments you already have, be honest with yourself and I think you will find your answer. There is no way that any of us can advise you what to do because we do not have the emotional attachment to the car that you do.

..In the past I've owned both Cadillacs and Lincolns.As mentioned-in the past.They're fine vehicles,but both costly to restore and maintain.Depends what a person wants.I have more fun with my Dodge and Plymouth. :)

All good advice guys

I've owned the car for two years, and a 55 caddy has always been my dream car, so when I bought it I had intentions of diving right into it. But being the Gemini that I am the following year I came across the 47 P-15 sitting in a barn, just begging me to take her home. I have the sickness, it's hard to shake. I'm going to think hard over this one, the guy is waving cash at me even. But then I think, the killer will be if I see the car driving around town after, I know i'll kick myself. :confused:

I think a lot depends on the condition of the car. As mentioned earlier, these cars are expensive to restore. It is said it is far cheaper to buy a good original or one already restored than to restore one. Are the floors, brakes, paint the only issues? Does it need chrome? upholstery? wiring? engine work? transmission? If you answered yes to some, it is going to be expensive. If you feel you will have the means in the future, keep it. If you don't think you will have the money, sell it. If things change in the future financially, you could always buy one that is done. It does look a nice car and if it does not need too much, I can see why you want to keep it. However, in these times to have someone waving cash at you at what sounds like a good offer, it's hard to pass up. Sounds like it would be going to a good home.

Of all the cars you could have, a 55 Coupe deVille is a true classic investment. Play your cards right and it could fund your retirement.

I wouldn't sell that car for at least another 15 yrs, even if you do nothing to it the value will be astounding I think.

55/56 Coupe deVilles and deVilles are real classy good looking cars without being gaudy like the 59's

It's a keeper.

While power equipment is nice-power steering,power windows,power brakes,power seats and the like,they can be costly to restore and service.I've owned two 1953 Cadillacs,a coupe deville and a series 62 convertible,also owned a 1954 Lincoln Capri HT.It's a hobby.The Cadillacs are long gone - sold before the prices went crazy.The Lincoln I sold a few years ago after owning it 18 years.I can think of better investments although maybe not as much fun.

While Caddies are expensive to restore and maintain, I get the impression that you are a GM guy at heart. If I were you, I'd put the P15 up for sale and keep the Caddy.

However, I'm a MoPar guy. I'd have sold the Caddy in a minute, esp. if I was being offered more than its worth, and spent it on my P15. There is always the contigency that if he ever decides to sell that you get first dibs. That will give you a feeling for his real plans with the car.

I think the question you should ask yourself is: "What do I see myself driving 5/10/15 years from now?" If you close your eyes and envision yourself behind the wheel of the Cadillac, you know to keep it. If you can picture yourself shifting the three-on-the-tree in your Plymouth then there's your answer.

Norm makes a good point about moving on after whatever you end-up doing. I've sold cars that later landed in junkyards, and even found one that I sold 20 years ago for sale on eBay recently. Seeing the cars again brought back memories, but I don't regret selling them when I did.

How about we take a Zen look at this. When I think of all the cars I've parted with I cringe. But I never could have kept them all. I had two Triumph TR 250s which I truly loved but was not doing anything with them. A guy came by who really wanted them. This is going to sound silly - but I knew they were going to a good person and that made it easier. Have you ever had to give up a precious dog? Lost a girl to a better man? Same thing.

If this guy is so persistent he may be the one to fix up the car like you haven't been able to do. When you see it go down the street all restored you should have the satisfaction of knowing you could have done that - but you let someone else do it.

This probably sounds weird to people who don't "love" cars. I am still a little disappointed at the "cash for clunkers" program. I think they are wasting a lot of useful cars.

Go with your heart.

I had a 49 P15 4 door body in good shape no real rust but needed to be restored. I had it about 5-6 years ,outside under cover past 2 years. It was one of those I am going to restore it some time but something else always came a long and it kept getting pushed back.

Anyhow I sold it a few months ago and feel good about it. The car is going to someone who will restore it (I hope) I actually made a profit on it and now have some money to finish up some projects that were closer to being complete then the P15.

Five years ago, as I was down sizing things in my own life; such as going from seven cars (two every day vehicles and five collector cars) down to three (one everyday and two collector vehicles) I came upon a realization and coined a life motto, from the experience: A SIMPLIFIED LIFE IS A SIGN OF A SECURE MIND. Now, I enjoy having the two remaining toys more than I did when I had five toys (sort of a less is more concept) and I have the pleasure of knowing some one else is enjoying and taking care of those other five toys. Life isn't about stuff, it is about what you let stuff do to you.

Georgeous car for one thing, nice choice. used to have a '70 that was nowhere near as cool but was still fun.

I sort of bought my P-18 from the PO site unseen. He didn't have his for sale either but I heard that it was dying a slow death in a storage facility and would have none of it. I just had to rescue this thing. He was not very mechanical and had just let it sit for 7 years without doing hardly anything to it. I had never even seen a 49 but after some farting around on the net I decided it had to be mine.

He has since thanked me for taking this car off his hands and the monthly storage bill that went with it. I don't think you can lose either way. Either spend a few grand and make it your dream car or pocket a few grand and get on to the hunt for the next project.

Radioguy7, You are kidding right:) a 1955 caddy 2dr hardtop. Think what would Elvis, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Bo Didley do?....... I would drop everything and fix that thing. This is why I build one car at a time and I let nothing come between me and my current project. EVER;) 1955 Caddy oh my I would push the Plymouth off a cliff to get the insurance money:D

You can't go by what I say because I am a very emotional person, I think and live in the 50's. I still own every car I ever purchased except 1, family member crushed it. Your caddy is like my 1955 chevy belair 2dr hard top I will never get rid of it. I want it dismantled and put in under my coffin. :)cover your car take your keys. unless you want someone very connected to the 50's to have it.(me) (me):D

that is one heavenly car. Do the right thing. You see how things are going in 5 years regular people will not be able to own a car like that.

As far as that guy is concerned" You keep a knocking but you can't come in"

Nice looking car which looks solid. The advice you have been given so far is sound.

Much will depend upon how much you paid for the car, how much the guy is offering to take it off your hands, how much you estimate it will cost to restore it to a condition that will satisfy you, whether you are under any outside pressure to sell it, whether or not you have the long term storage facilities to keep it, whether it is deteriorating whilst you get around to working on her. Etc, etc.

I'm no Cadillac expert, but she looks a very desirable model to me, in good sound condition, notwithstanding the rust you described. Personally, from the perspective of someone on the other side of the Atlantic, where such beasts are incredibly rare, if I had a space to keep it out of the elements and reckoned the funding to restore it would ultimately be available, I would keep it. Even if you can't drive it at the moment you can still bounce around on the seats every once in a while and imagine that you are!

Thanks a bunch for all the advice guys, I actually tossed and turned over this one last night. I got home from work last night and the guy was parked in front of my house, almost like he was stalking me!! Something about the guy rubs me the wrong way too, don't really care for the flashing cash kind of approach as he did again last night. Told him I didn't decide yet and sent him away.

After speaking with my wife this morning and especially after reading all of your posts I've decided I'll keep her since I know I'll have sellers remorse the second I see her drive away! I liked the go with your heart post, after I did that the message was pretty clear. I'm going to do her right this year and find some indoor storage for her somehwere.

Thanks again everyone!!

Here's a pic of an identical car all restored, even is the same color code.

It's the pic I use for inspiration!! :)

post-3173-13585351147564_thumb.jpg

Since you decided to keep the car' date=' I wouldn't rent storage space for it. After all, the money you spend on storage could be spent on parts, and other items needed for the Caddy. Even if you do one or two little things a month on it, it's better than just sitting in storage doing nothing to it.

Outside of the fact you probably really never wanted to sell. What's wrong with someone flashing cash to buy it (as long as it was enough)? You don't have to like someone to sell them something.:confused:[/quote']

The storage I am thinking of would be "free" storage of course, I know a few people with garage space not doing anything. This would be winter storage too btw.

The problem I have with the guys is he seems like a smooth operator, almost as if he has another buyer already lined up. I didn't really get the feeling like he was "in love" with the car like I am or a true classic car enthusiest.