Request for assistance in recovery effort.

greg g

As has been posted one of our members is on a quest to get a nice 49 Dodge. As he is now driving it instead of having it shipped, he contacted me about seeking help along the way should it become necessary.

I do have in my posession a help list of members who have indicated they would help out other members in distress bu it has't been updated in two years so I don't know how reliable the information might be.

So here is the planned route

I am going on the Interstate from Bloomington, IL to Davenport, IA then north through Dubuque and La Crosse, WI and following Highway 61 from LaCrescent, MN home.

So anybody along the way sign up here and send your contact info via e mail or PM to dkopesky through his member profile page.

And lets all hope he doesn;t need any one. And look sharp as he is leaving tomorrow Am.

I'm pretty sure I live practically where he does so I wouldnt be much help unless he's close to home but you have my info. I'll be around evenings this week.

Let's face it what I need more than anything is a sense of humor. Regardless what goes wrong I am sure this trip will generate memories that will long outlast the drive. I'll post a picture from my driveway or from the tow - whichever comes first. One thing I have learned over the past couple months is just how many nice helpful people access this forum. :)

My first long distance recovery involved a bit over 1500 miles and the use of a tow bar I constructed of generic design with the hopes it would work on the car on the distant end..the trip turned into one big adventure that has memories. I am happy to have made that trip, the few problems encountered along the way only proved that there are many people who will still go out of their way to help an old car buff get his prize home. To look back and think of the things that could have gone wrong gives me the willies...at a few points along the way I don't think you could have driven a tooth pick up my butt with a jack hammer...followed a locals's direction to the main road...yeah down the side of the river on a dirt road that would barely pass for a dirt road with no place to turn around..

Do carry some tools, basic safety equipment and rain gear in case you have to pull over when it is raining..take your time..getting back is the main objective and to get in a hurry is not part of the equation when driving a newly acquired older car of unknown history or driveabily issues.

Wishing you safe and happy trip...

Edited by Tim Adams

I don't think you could have driven a tooth pick up my butt with a jack hammer...

Ha ha ha. Had that experience a few times. Once when an extension ladder I was on collapsed and dropped two rungs, then stopped. Another time more recently flying over the Caribbean in a dinky airplane when the cargo door flew open. Buried the needle on the puckermeter.

I towed a 1950 Dodge Wayfarer convertible from Joplin to Lancaster, PA back in the

70s with my tow bar. No real trouble.....just sometimes the wheels on the ol Dodge

wanted to turn the opposite way they should in a sharp turn. Like when entering or

leaving a parking lot or some such. Mapquest says that is 1108 miles one way.

Back in high school days, my 47 Chevy timing gear went out, and a fellow I knew

actually pushed my car approximately 25 miles back home with his 52 Olds. We

reached speeds up to 50 mph at times. After a while, the rear bumper of my

car would start riding up on his front bumper. When that happened, he would just

let off the gas......mine would settle down.......then he would come up and make

contact again. A pretty gentle bump each time. Kind of amazing. Got home with

no problems. But I was pretty tense and had a white knuckle grip on

the wheel.

We got caught in quite a downpoor last sat night in the 48. I didn't realize how tight I was holding the steering wheel until my finger tips started to fall asleep.

This is just a thought and I wouldn't know how to implement it but let me run this up the pole and see who salutes.

I belong to the Contemporary Historical Vehicle Association. Once every couple of years they come out with a book and the address and phone number of all the members. People, of course, all agree and are willing to offer aid and assistance to anyone traveling.

I don't know how hard that would be or if anyone would be willing but it would be a handy guide.

That said once my car is in running condition I'm going up 99 to Sacramento then down 80 to San Francisco then south on 101. I would be more than happy to stop by and meet with anyone on that route.

This is just a thought and I wouldn't know how to implement it but let me run this up the pole and see who salutes.

I belong to the Contemporary Historical Vehicle Association. Once every couple of years they come out with a book and the address and phone number of all the members. People, of course, all agree and are willing to offer aid and assistance to anyone traveling.

I don't know how hard that would be or if anyone would be willing but it would be a handy guide.

That said once my car is in running condition I'm going up 99 to Sacramento then down 80 to San Francisco then south on 101. I would be more than happy to stop by and meet with anyone on that route.

The Honda Goldwing Motorcycle Club, GWRRA, have a book supplied every year to it's members, with alot of information with members signed up to help, offer aid, and assistance to anyone traveling. I was a member starting in 1992, but have never needed help so far.

The Honda Goldwing Motorcycle Club, GWRRA, have a book supplied every year to it's members, with alot of information with members signed up to help, offer aid, and assistance to anyone traveling. I was a member starting in 1992, but have never needed help so far.

The only time I "needed" my Gold Book was when I was stranded with a flat tire. I looked up the closest Honda dealer to call to see if they had tires for me. Between that and AAA I was saved. The Gold Book is a great source for Gold Wing Road Riders Association (GWRRA) members. (member since '95)

The Gold Book also makes a good phone directory. I used it several times to look up a phone number of a member. The only catch is you have to know what town they live in as the listings are by state/city.

Merle

Don,

That society is new to me. Would you tell us more about it or go they have a web site?

-Randy

I googled it and found this link.

http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/CHVA/

Looks like a liberal orginazation with stockers, street and hot rods. Several local branches across the country. Lots to read at the above link.

You can add me to the list for anyone needing assitance here in the NorthEast. I live in Central CT, and always willing to help anyone in need.

A few weeks ago a fellow MV club member came to my rescue when a valve stem started leaking on one of my travel trailer tires on a Sunday. We had reservations at a campground and we were all packed and ready to leave. Sunday has to be the worst time to try and get assistance.

Anyone stranded in the backwoods of Nebraska (Northeast part specificly) has to have a few screws loose anyway. I do have a screwdriver. AND alot more tools. Probably more helpful is the car trailer, but cant leave the state with it!! Its legal here but not elsewhere.

ALWAYS willing to help other people to a fault. Some days I think my dump trailer gets MORE neighbor use than personal use!! And my skid loader seems to find its way around the neighborhood!! Life in MORE fun that way!! AND yesterday I got help running that 25#,,, pipe handle,,, rock hammer on a chunk of 2 feet thick 'crete!!(it ought to be illegal to run concrete 2 feet thick,ever)

NOBODY ever passes this way unless extremely LOST!!!

I did not go to the newsletters of the club site' date=' but I did check out the region list. The site says they have members all over but....All I saw listed were regions in California.:confused:[/quote']

Read some more.

http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/CHVA/images/CHVA_Regions.pdf

You could start a driveway region in Wisconsin.............

I do believe that if you are towing a trailer per the rules and regulations of your home state (state the tow vehicle is registered) that the neighboring states must abide and obey said rules of regulation of home state...In SC there was no such thing as registration for trailers or tow dollies etc and I have traveled up and down the eastern side of the Mississippi with items in tow..

also I know that even if my state is required state of registration and I have borrowed my friends trailer, there is no requirement for the tag etc..as the law does not require it by the owner..

if the law of each individual state were equally applied as a car crosses the state line, one would have to travel with specal tools and equipment to install/remove items as you cross state lines...two item of general interest here is blue dot lights and YOM tags..not all state have these legal but those that are legal in their state of registration is free to operate and are not held to the out of state law as the vehicle is not subject that that states registration laws..resiprosity is the name of the game