Archives

billwillard

I think the thread was relating to the lack of use prior to asking..I find the search feature very easy to use..I admit that there is no definitive format to get a say a three word phrase returned in the exact same manner it was written but it will get you very darn close..most speak here in terms of how to and so should the search entry be so phrased

The Wiki wouldnt be a bad idea to acompany the forum. Anything that puts orginazation to the information would be nice. Id use it, but it would still require the use of a search and isnt that the root problem anyway? :P

The Wiki software that I am aware of all have search functions that work on the titles of the articles and on words in the content.

The problem the wiki might solve is that of extraneous posts only tangentially related to the technical issues being discussed. Additional questions, off topic posts, etc. would not live long in a wiki article. So the article could achieve a form that would be easier to find and read than a series of almost related forum threads.

Guest P15-D24

is it runs on a SQL database under the covers. As such it provides very powerful and fast search capabilities while keeping the data in one centralized location. I've been working in the computer industry since 1979 and SQL databases are the key to modern information management. Use the advanced search capability, it will get you what you need. The problem with using something like a Wiki is now we have the same info in two different locations and now you have to look twice as much.

The problem is most users aren't familiar with how to use it, get frustrated and then post a question. (I see the same thing on other boards I visit) I think we need to do two things, help them by answering their question, but also help them with using the search feature. May post a link for a search that would have gotten them their info.

I will take as an action item to see if I can find a easier to use (or more powerful) search plug in for the board.

There are several forums I know of that address this kind of thing right up front. Read, Research, then ask. I think it's only fair to respect the knowledge of the guys here by reading the vast amount of infomation they've already shared. Come on, Norm's Coupe has 7,522 post and Don has 6,983.....its not all jokin around. Don doesn't know 6950 jokes and 33 useful bits of information. I think he only has about 3 good jokes......lol. Seriously, nothing wrong with a sticky ask'n newbies to look things through first.

48D

Wow, those are a lot of posts between the two. Are you sure they are all technical or do those also include OT subjects as well? I think, to a new person just joining this site and seeing a note posted saying "Read, Research, then ask" would be give the impression that this isn't a very friendly site. And the search option isn't the most user friendly, either. Example: The other day I had a buddy on here call me from a wrecking yard to see what bumpers on other Plymouths were interchangeable with the P15's. I told him that I would check on here. I typed in "bumper" and got a ton of threads with the word "bumper," but nothing that I was looking for. I tried "interchangeable bumper" and got a ton of threads with the word "interchangeable" and then the same with "bumper" as well. Again, nothing to do with what I was looking for. I tried "bumper swap," same thing. This is a case when I would have post a thread asking, but my buddy was waiting for me to get back to him so there was no time. I would have thought that something would have been posted regarding interchangeable bumpers, and maybe it is, but it's not easy to find. I was thinking of starting a quick thread asking about it, but then I had to wonder if it already may have been posted and didn't want to "inconvenience" anyone (sad to think that one has to feel that they are walking on eggs shells on here). Anyway, through the photos he sent me of the car from his cell phone and the pics of the P15 bumper that I had, we figured it out that they weren't the same. Had he not had his cell phone, it would have been tough, but it's always good to know exactly. One individual on here, who is very technical in his knowledge and cunning with his remarks, tends to forget that others aren't so technical and can't understand what he means. And when you come back at him that you don't understand, he makes you feel like you are incompetent or something. He's even been told by others on here to "put it in layman's terms."

I'm the kind of person that, if I had the knowledge that so many on here have of our cars, and I saw posts regarding questions of things that I know were covered already, I would still help the person out. That is just how I am. Again, if someone on here sees a question brought up that has already been asked, and it ticks them off, ignore it. What more has to be explained? Is it really going to twist your arm to answer a repeated question for someone or at least send them a link to answer their question? I can't believe how anal some people on here are about this. Pretty soon this is going to become a very unfriendly site and be known as such. Nonetheless, regardless of which individuals get upset over repetitive posts or someone posting an Ebay item up for bid, it's not going to stop me from doing it because those are the minority who, for some reason, think they run this board. Last I checked, the moderator makes the rules and lays the laws. If this keeps up, eventually, people are going to leave because nobody wants to be around a bunch of people that are anal and complain, and I think I speak for a good handful on here.

Edited by 47heaven

Guest P15-D24

People asking repetitive (and previously answered) questions is the nature of an online forum. Especially noobies who don't know how to use the forum or search. Get over it, it is going to happen no matter what. Instead, help them and educate them on how to use the search better. The tip about using quotes in the advanced search is very powerful, but I think most are not aware of it. (It forces on matches on the entire entered value.) So bumper exchange will only bring back posts with both words.

eBay:

Let me be clear, it people want to post info about eBay auctions, their own or others, it is 100% acceptable. If you don't like that policy, sorry, but that is the way it is.

Wow, those are a lot of posts between the two. Are you sure they are all technical or do those also include OT subjects as well?

Are you asking me to read and research thier posts for you??? lol.

I've never felt a site wasn't "friendly" because I was asked to inform myself. Even my professors appreciated an informed question.

Hey p15-p24,

It is the nature of a forum, But judging from the responses, maybe a sticky about "how to search the site" in the theads page would be helpful. I know a sticky on the truck side could use one concerning the "VISIT DPETCA" button. Just a thought.

48D

Didn't see it that way, but I understand the limits of not "talking in person".

I deleted my last comment.

48D

Actually, I first took your comment as maybe a little "snide," so I decided to play with it. I guess it's just a matter how you read it. Nonetheless, no hard feelings on this side.

PS: In all fairness, I'll delete mine too. :cool:

The tip about using quotes in the advanced search is very powerful, but I think most are not aware of it. (It forces on matches on the entire entered value.)

GTK - That piece of info from one of the members was almost the most important thing I've learnt on this forum! I've now been able to search quite specific strings, which is great. I did look in the "Forum FAQ and Help sections for advanced search methods, but I didn't come across this advice - though I may have missed it (apologies if so). Perhaps a small section on this could assist?

Hey p15-p24,

It is the nature of a forum, But judging from the responses, maybe a sticky about "how to search the site" in the theads page would be helpful. I know a sticky on the truck side could use one concerning the "VISIT DPETCA" button. Just a thought.

48D

Yep - that'd be a major help to newbies. A lot of the basic info is on the site already, but ANYTHING to assist in specific searches would be beneficial to all....there's a LOT of posts on this VERY VALUABLE site!

MOST IMPORTANTLY OF ALL - This forum is a COMMUNITY of (relatively) like-minded individuals who have come together to get help, offer help and enjoy the whole Mopar-car experience. For mine, the Forum COMMUNITY will, to some extent, always evolve to certain standards and expectations on most things simply by the nature of the interaction and the type of people on here. The 'Police' (forgive me GTK) can be called if needed, but very rarely have I seen that necessary, which says a LOT about the standards of the members.

Its a great forum and there's nothing wrong with sturdy debate as long as there's always respect for the individual, be they members with 5000+ posts, or someone new with absolutely no idea...

Guest P15-D24

Hey p15-p24,

48D

Will add shortly.

I thought we were supposed to repeat some questions for others to reach their Zen status?

That way we would keep them busy so they wouldn't get bored at home?

I always liked the fact that I get quick response to my questions.

But sometimes you just don't get an answer (btw , that is most of the time when I would have a couple of questions in the same thread).

I really appreciate the answers as it helps me to confirm my thoughts in a number of cases and sometimes it just is an easy fix.

If I do not get an answer I assume the question wasn't read by someone who has the answer.

If I get a 'read the archive' , and I recently happened as I posted a question on the cowlvent mechanism which I had worked on before it really doesn't bother me.

My motto:

"One less positive experience should not affect the lots of other positive ones."

John