Archives

billwillard

I don't know why some of you have gotten off on this archives kick. It seems lately a lot of post are answered by find it in the archives. The answer is not always as easy to find for some as for others. If you don't want to answer the post why not just go to the next. If a question is ask 20 times no bid deal. My 3 cents

Bill

I occasionally get in the mood to look up some topic in the archive of previous posts.

Maybe I don't know how to use that feature just exactly right - but it seems as if

you have to wade thru a certain amount of info not totally germaine to your particular

question. My answer may be there, but it just takes a while to find it. Nice that the

key word is highlighted in red......kind of amazing how often the key word appears in

some context.

I can see where using that feature might be a bit daunting to a person who is not

real versed on the computer. At the same time, it is fairly user friendly. Might just

need to experiment with it some. I've discovered that putting in something not just

exactly right has never caused my computer to explode. You just have to get out of

the first thing, then try the next. And maybe several tries will be needed.

Based on hanging out here for a few years now (how time flies) - I've seen

that basic questions about everyday problems common to these old cars

have been answered many times in many ways by many people. These

are the same questions most newcomers encounter. So - a new owner of

an old Mopar shouldn't panic when finding these problems.....just need to

calm down and do a little detective work first. Then if you can't determine

an answer, jump right in with questions.

It's good to let newer members know about the search feature so they can get quick answers to some questions. At the same time, I don't have a problem repeating an answer I've given before. In fact, I use the search feature myself, to find answers I've given before, like the OD/non-hypoid gear oil thread currently on the forum. I couldn't recall the exact name of the oil I put in my rebuilt OD transmission so I searched for posts by normspeed containing the keyword gear oil.

I hear the memory is one of the first things to go....:P

Norm, you can still hear? Wow! Seriously I use the archives and the search all the time now. I open up a document page and when I find an answer I cut and paste it to the appropriate page. When I work on something I print out th page and take ALL the ideas with me. For me this is much better than asking all the time. Whenever a new or 'another' idea / solution appears on the forum, I cut and paste that also.

At first I was on the forum a lot and it became embarrasing yet all were extremely helpful. Thank you!

I don't know why some of you have gotten off on this archives kick. It seems lately a lot of post are answered by find it in the archives. The answer is not always as easy to find for some as for others. If you don't want to answer the post why not just go to the next. If a question is ask 20 times no bid deal. My 3 cents

Bill

Glad you brought this up. You know, I have always wondered why few on here get their panties all up in a bunch if a question is asked that may be already in the archives. I have asked questions before and have been blatantly been told to look it up in the archives for myself. Basically, I find that to be kind of a rude response. Either give me advice, maybe direct me to the link or just keep your comments and opinions to yourself. Sometimes it is hard to find things in the archives, especially if it's a question that needs a quick response.

Glad you brought this up. You know, I have always wondered why few on here get their panties all up in a bunch if a question is asked that may be already in the archives. I have asked questions before and have been blatantly been told to look it up in the archives for myself. Basically, I find that to be kind of a rude response. Either give me advice, maybe direct me to the link or just keep your comments and opinions to yourself. Sometimes it is hard to find things in the archives, especially if it's a question that needs a quick response.

Call me mister rude if you like.

You joined this forum on 10-25-2006 almost 3 years ago. Several times you have ask others to look up something for you that (after 1, 2, or 3 years) you should be able to find for yourself. I find it rude for you to ask others to do your homework for you espically when you only give the advice you get here to a mechanic who will profit from the advice you get here. Call me old and grumpy too but I have a problem with that. I will gladly give advice to someone doing there own work but giving advice to someone who passes that advice to a mechanic who in turn charges the person to do the work is just plain wrong in my opinion.

I am open to any and all opinions!

I have been a member for many years. Hopefully have helped some folks and entertained others. But before I asked questions, I read everything I could, both here on the forum, an the main pages and on other mopar sources. probably did that for two years before posting a question. And then I asked a bunch of them. Many of those questions were on the old forum that did not have a search function.

Lately, it seems that there are a lot of similar questions that have been asked over the past two or three weeks ago. the simple act of going back two or three pages would clear up a lot of these concerns.

It also seems that there has been quite a few new members over the past two or three months, and many of their questions are of a repetitive nature.

I know I have posted the fuel pum flow test, the back clearing the fuel line with compressed air, the how to set your points, and how a coil should be wired, how to test the generator, and how to set the float level to prevent hot start problems or adjusting the clutch rod for less grinding when shifting, on more than several occasions in the past month or so. so its not even so much doing a search, but setting the user cp to allow the past couple of weeks post to be shown, and doing some reading.

That is how I started, and got a lot of my questins answered with material already posted.

There are a lot of questions I do not respond to because I don;t feel I have the experience to answer them, in that case what is so horrible about advising some one to use the search button or consulting the boilerplate on the home pages.

You joined this forum on 10-25-2006 almost 3 years ago. Several times you have ask others to look up something for you that (after 1, 2, or 3 years) you should be able to find for yourself. I find it rude for you to ask others to do your homework for you espically when you only give the advice you get here to a mechanic who will profit from the advice you get here. Call me old and grumpy too but I have a problem with that. I will gladly give advice to someone doing there own work but giving advice to someone who passes that advice to a mechanic who in turn charges the person to do the work is just plain wrong in my opinion.

Wow, Don...I don't remember naming any names ;). I also don't recall asking someone to "look up" something for me, unless I couldn't absolutely find it or if a link wasn't where they said it was.

First of all, I gave the advice, that I got on here, to my mechanic because I knew it was good advice and I trusted it to be a better source. What did you want me to do...ask for a discount because I told him how to rebuild my engine, which I didn't? He may have taken the advice, but that doesn't mean he used it. I can see where you are coming from, but I can guarentee you that it didn't happen that way with me. I really have never had many problems with people giving me advice or helping me out with a problem I was having, with the exception of you and another on here. Sometimes it's easier to ask a question rather than spend 1-2 frustrating hours looking for a past thread, especially when it's something that needs to be known right away. Sometimes it's not easy finding things on here, but believe me, I have done more research than you think and have used only the resourses that I can find in the archives. It's when I can't find what I'm looking for is when I ask. Gee, I guess I'm going to have to start jotting down what I have asked to make sure I don't ask it again. Tell you what, from now on, so that you don't feel that someone is "profiting" from your advice, set up a Paypal account and start charging? What do you think? Sounds like a swell plan to me :)

Again, Don, I have great respect for your knowledge in our cars, and have greatly appreciated your past advice, but your "my Plymouth has no exhaust fumes whatsoever" attitude is for the birds. If someone asks a repetitive question, and it's something that has been answered before, simply ignore it if it bothers you that much. It's that simple. This way people won't think you are a grumpy old man (you said it, not me). There are others on here that don't see it your way and would be glad to answer questions no matter how long ago it was asked. Believe me, it's not worth getting your blood pressure up over.

Edited by 47heaven

:eek:Wow - getting hot in here...?

For my $0.02 worth, I can see both sides to this argument.

As a newbie, I've asked some plain basic dumb questions and been given good responses. In one previous question - which I'm almost embarrased about now - it related to welch plugs. After all of the responses and further research on the forum, I now know that this topic has been covered ad-nauseum. BUT - I think that in my worry about the leak, I was desperate for some answers, so I asked. Wasn't judged for asking and for that I was very grateful.

On the other hand, I've done plenty of reading and searching and have answered many of my own questions without too many problems, and without having to ask on the forum. I guess I've reckoned that the questions are basic - are sure to have been asked before - and that the answers will be there if I do my own 'homework'. I've been guilty of seeing questions posted when I know that the answers have been done only recently for someone else, and thought "doing some research yourself would help"...but then I see that the same answers are still forthcoming.

Guess I'm trying to say that there's a balance out there for each...

By the way - my searches on the forum seem to be limited by the fact that it searches for only 1 keyword at a time, rather than a phrase? Am I doing this wrong?:confused:

eg. - searching for oil filter, gives me either threads with the word 'oil' in them, and/or 'filter' in them, but not the phrase 'oil filter' together. Advice on that anyone? Promise I won't pass it on to my mechanic...;)

Rob.

Use the search function! ;)

To answer I think you can put it in qoutes and it will return the whole phrase.

Bact to the commonly asked questions. Could we start a section with stickeys of well written 'how to's and with pictures (because i dont like to read). So that way its easy to find, in the how to section.

This is something that has been in the back of my mind. The members of this forum do answer questions of the same nature over and over. people like Don are the ones that answer these question. I can see his point. In the early days Don and greg and there are others that I can name that would just stick it out with dumb newer members(me) that just did not get it. They had to repeat and repeat the remedy of repair. I know just about every question asked is in the archives. I think reading it directly from people you trust make it true. We have some very experienced people here, I try to do as many repairs as I can however if it is over my head I seek help. I think when we ask question we are also tell of an experience as well. My 3 cent. 1 cent tax:rolleyes:

There are no new questions on this forum it has all been covered, with the exception of " How to put a front wheel drive engine and transmission in a p15?" all forums end up that way eventually. So most of the time it is the same old questions, chit chat between friends, and a bunch of OT , with a liberal dose of thread hijacking.

The posts I look forward to are progressive in nature, personal triumph, and new listing for services and parts. If you want to use the search button, use it, if you don't then start typing. Some of the most asked questions such as 12 volt conversion and how do I flash my generator, and basic points setting should be made stickys on the technical forum. It might help.

Remember there is only GTK running the show, he is the only moderator on here that I know about. Other than that the rest of us are just members in good standing and nothing else. If you are sick of a question being repeated, go on to the next one..............

The technical pages are full of the information you mentioned, there are only four pages now, but when you get to the bottom of the first page you must select page 2 to read it. It does not take that long to read each post description and cover all four pages. Some questions appear more than one time.

I know James, but thank you anyway.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

There were 167 pages when I joined the forum and the first thing I did was read them all, then I posted questions that I was still unsure about and some that had a little different spin. Read the host site top to bottam also, if I thought the info was a little thin or I didn't see what was needed then a new thread was typed. Not everyone has that mentality...todays world produces impatient people with short attention spans with what's in it for me attitudes. Or they are just lazy and not willing to do the research. Last but not least, some do not have the mechanical apptitude to work on any car....it's not my place to tell them for that, everybody has different talents.

That being said they have just as much right to own an older car as anyone else on this forum whether they wrench themselves or take it to a mechanic.

Edited by FRANKIE47

Since I joined this site ... I must tell you .... When I had (have) a problem ... sometimes I forget there are guys out there that might of had this problem that I am expericanceing... sometimes describing it is .. easier than knowing what to "look" up .. When I do post a ?... It is like Christmas morning when I get a responce... maybe someones not thank-ing the help enough! But I, am sure who ever started this site had this in mind... to help "us ' fellow "brothers" in need! I think the word thank-you is not said enough. So thank-you again for the help along the way..DANiel

Daniel..that my friend is pretty much what I think is going on here..the person who recieves the advice not reporting back test data or findings but continues to ask the question....the more information that anyone can post in relation to their problem will get a more realistic answer or hopefully a first time ping to the solution...I have never in the time that I have been a member has anyone been blown off when they have asked for help, acknowledge the answers with data..the answer/possibilities keep on flowing till it gets fixed...

Yeah I know those stickeys are there and they are helpful pointers back to the main page. What I was thinking of was user written how tos of things like:

-Installing window rubber

-Disk Brake Conversion

-Shoe Aligment w/ and w/o the most holy brake tool

-OD Trans Swap

-Steering Box Rebuild

-Distibutor Frayed Wire Fix

-Woodgraining Dash

Ive seen some of this on the main page as people are working on something, witch is neat to see progression and discussion. After they have completed the project it would be nice if they were to write a complete how to w/ pics and tools nessary. If the how to is deemed awesome then it becomes a sticky with the other 4.

Wouldn't it be nice if someone could empty out and reorganize the Tech Section and get rid of all that stuff that was erroneously posted there, and then just put back the items that are truly informational in nature? So many guys go there and ask questions that belong on the forum proper, and all these questions sorta' clutter up the original intent of that section.

I believe the Tech Section is likely the most helpful part of the forum - or colud be, if it were housecleaned. If it were hosed out and perhaps reorganized with all the good stuff left in and all the drekk drained out, mebby newbies would learn to go there first.

Then we could call that section FAQ - frequently asked stuff. Then we could put a sticky at the top of each forum that sez,

"All newbies - The FAQ/Tech Section has answers to the most asked questions. This section is required reading for all newcomers before they start new threads on the forum."

Then mebby the repeat questions would slow down a tad, and life would be simpler. Back when I was a newbie, I read every post on the archives before I started my first thread. I still search the archives for info I remember was there but can't remember perfectly - good stuff in there, for sure. :D

Well I have the time but not the access. Kinda of a big job to redo it and move stuff about. Would need to be familiar with the workings of the mechanics of the board. I don't think our host, administrator and only moderator has the time to do it.

Seems to me that trying to use a forum section with sticky threads for technical items is a bit like putting round pegs into square holes: The forum format that works well for discussions is not well suited for reference work.

Maybe a section of the P15-D24 website ought to be a Wiki instead of a forum....

Actually I've been mulling this over for my own "vanity site" but I think it would make more sense for a community like this one where there are a large number of interested and knowledgeable members who could contribute to technical articles. The first cut of information could come out of the threads on this forum. There would be a lot of work to do but it could be done a little at a time and the load could be spread among as many volunteers from this board as possible.

Opinions? Comments?

If it sounds like a good idea I can approach GTK with it and help get it going.

There are several forums I know of that address this kind of thing right up front. Read, Research, then ask. I think it's only fair to respect the knowledge of the guys here by reading the vast amount of infomation they've already shared. Come on, Norm's Coupe has 7,522 post and Don has 6,983.....its not all jokin around. Don doesn't know 6950 jokes and 33 useful bits of information. I think he only has about 3 good jokes......lol. Seriously, nothing wrong with a sticky ask'n newbies to look things through first.

48D