Rear Spring Covers

Tom Skinner

Gents,

I have a question about Rear Spring Covers.

When removing the Shackles, to install new Shackle Bushings, Spring Silencers and Shocks would I first remove the Spring Covers before letting the Springs "Loose". otherwise wouldn't they extend and Bend the Covers?

Also I see that I will have to remove the Rear Bumper and Brackets to remove the Shackle Nuts on the Frame to start the proceedure.

Looks like a lot of work but all my Rubber Silencers and Bushings quite Dry Rotted. I hope someone knows about removing the Covers, because I don't want to bend/break them in the process.

Tom

feel at ease to remove the leaf springs as an assembly without damage to the covers..remember, when you jack the car way up there..it is about as unsprung as you are going to get and yet the cover is still in place and undamaged..

as for the silent block..look them over good..I replaced mine in both cars and DID NOT need to but did so as I had them apart..in reality these really do not get any wear..PLUS they a bugger bear to get out..going in is easy however..I don't thnk I would again replace them just because I have them on hand..

I replaced all the rubber silencers on the back shackles and did not remove the bumper. I found it very straight forward to do. First jacked up one side of the rear end to support the car. Then put a small screw jack midway between the rear axle and the end of the spring. Took the nuts close to the end and then gently tapped them to start the shackle apart. Took nuts off and pulled the shackle the rest of the way out. I did them one at a time. I painted them while out, let dry, put on new bushings, and reassembled in reverse order. At no time was the back bumper in the way.

Tom,

I just replaced all my bushings and silencers about 6 weeks ago and if your turn out like mine you are going to be glad you spent the time, money, and effort.

When I did mine I cut the covers off and tossed them. What I did was to use these http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Spring-Liners-with-Lip,2079.html spring liners from Speedway so the covers were not going to work.

The ride is much firmer and controlled now, also the noises (clunks, pops, squeeks) from the rear have been stopped.