Help with driveshaft replacement.

streamer

After puting my '48 back on the road, a serious vibration developed in the drive line. I removed the driveshaft and brought all the relevant parts to Gilbert Drive Line Service in Manchester NH. They are supposed to be the best in NH. Here is the problem. The original sliding yoke and the splines on the drive shaft are toast and new originals are not to be found, neither is the yoke that come out of the rear end. So to build a new shaft the shop is going to use new parts for both ends of the drive shaft, however no one makes the part that is attached to the output shaft of the three speed or the part from the rear end. I know that I have read posts on this forum where someone has had a new shaft made for their truck and still used their original trans and rear end. If you could give me the name and phone number of the shop who did your shaft, my shop guy could call and get the part# for the trans output and the rear end or even better if you still have your invoice maybe the part numbers are on it?? It is very hard to have the truck all back together and looking great, but not being able to drive it. Thanks in advance!

Streamer,

Your best bet is to keep your ear to the ground on this forum - for sale section, etc. - and look for someone who has (gulp) hot rodded a Pilothouse truck and done a histerectomy on the power train. Believe it or not, there are such folks among us. Find one and buy what you need that will just bolt right in.

It is my humble belief that your drive line dude isn't trying very hard to find this stuff. It's all Spicer and New Process, and was all used for many years. Should still be available out there. A prop shaft from an autromobile will likely work if you shorten it.

Good Luck. Let us know how you fare.

Streamer,

Your best bet is to keep your ear to the ground on this forum - for sale section, etc. - and look for someone who has (gulp) hot rodded a Pilothouse truck and done a histerectomy on the power train. Believe it or not, there are such folks among us. Find one and buy what you need that will just bolt right in.

It is my humble belief that your drive line dude isn't trying very hard to find this stuff. It's all Spicer and New Process, and was all used for many years. Should still be available out there. A prop shaft from an autromobile will likely work if you shorten it.

Good Luck. Let us know how you fare.

I just got a call from my drive line shop and they say the problem is in the universal joint I bought from Roberts. The trunions are 1/8 inch to short and do not seat to the end of the bearing cups, therefore the play in all directions, that has caused my drive line vibration. The original Cleveland part # for the correct u-joint is P96-55-1 and I have not been able to find a true replacement. I see from my searching that you changed out your u-joints for Carquest Part# 1-5900 will they fit my '48 B1B??

I picked up the drive shaft today along with a pair of new exact duplicate to original universal joints. I put everything back onto the truck and took her for a spin ------ WOW !! It feels like a new truck, no vibration at all. I ran her up to 55 and it was actually a pleasure to drive. The roads that I thought were too rough to drive on, now seem like new pavement. This week it will be easy to drive 30 miles one way to a cruise night. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.