Pics of my Oz D15 Dodge Sedan

Andydodge

I'm on a roll here.......have finally worked out how to post pics......anyway this is my Oz 1940 D15 Dodge Sedan, apart from 2" welded into the rear fenders the body is as made here in Australia by T.J.Richards of Adelaide in Sth Australia, yep the Plymouth body,chassis, fenders,hood,bumpers,head & tailights are correct, the Dodge grille whilst tha same basic profile of US 1940 Dodges is made from brass strips soldered together.......it also has the correct Dodge hood side trim pieces.......yep is is a hotrod.......I've had the car since Sept 1971, its been a hotrod since Easter 1973.......it has a 1962 318 Poly V8, Cast Iron Torquflite Auto, front end is made up of various mopar upper/lower arms, 1" custom sway bar, vented 11" disc brakes, narrowed Austin 1800 rack & pinion, original rear springs, uprated shocks front/rear, 1992 Oz Falcon disc brake rear............more to follow.......andyd

post-1938-13585351076293_thumb.jpg

post-1938-13585351076578_thumb.jpg

post-1938-13585351076873_thumb.jpg

post-1938-13585351077131_thumb.jpg

post-1938-13585351077389_thumb.jpg

Oh........and the Vinyl Roof?.......lol........when I was building the car back in 1975, it had a couple of flat spots on the roof, I wasn't good enough to panel beat them out, so I had a vinyl top put on by a local upholsterer......and the colour?........I painted the car in a 1970-73 Oz Valiant colour, Mahogany Metallic......the paints thats in the pics has been on there since 1978, starting to show its age, but looks o/k from 20feet.....lol.........the engine is mounted quite low in the engine bay so pics are hard to get however hopefully you can get an idea.......the 318 Poly runs a Weiand single four intake & 600 Holley, I have a 57/58 factory twin 4 intake that will end up on it someday, the radiator is a recore by a local shop, the engine runs a remote oil filter mounted drivers side engine bay AND engine oil cooler mounted in front of the radiator, a transmission oil cooler and trans oil filter are mounted under the passenger side running board.......more to come.......andyd

post-1938-13585351077661_thumb.jpg

post-1938-13585351077967_thumb.jpg

post-1938-13585351078267_thumb.jpg

post-1938-1358535107857_thumb.jpg

post-1938-13585351078853_thumb.jpg

Last lot........interior pics.....original 1940 Dash & intruments, Smiths Tacho on dash, steering column is Oz 1969/70 Valiant upper & collapseable top piece adapted to home made polished alloy column, note also no wiper switch on the top of the dash....all Oz mopars had electric wipers......and the key ignition/button start is the original setup & original key, 1964 Chev pedal box, 1975 Oz Leyland P76 front seats, 1967-70(?) Valiant shifter & console adapted to 1962 push button cable operated cast Iron Torqueflite.......original rear seat......note stock Oz 1940 Dodge rear seat centre armrest and front door armrests......seat and door upholstery is in no name vinyl done by my mother in 1975......thanks mum.....lol........note that the roof lining was redone in velour about 6yrs ago by a local upholstere who also redid the door pictured.......that sewn pattern on the door is the original style.........anyway thats enough for tonight.......andyd

post-1938-1358535107911_thumb.jpg

post-1938-1358535107949_thumb.jpg

post-1938-13585351079772_thumb.jpg

post-1938-13585351080029_thumb.jpg

post-1938-13585351080316_thumb.jpg

Both great looking cars,I suppose on any given day you have to flip a coin to decide which one to drive :)

Hi Andy,

Both cars look great! The construction of the North American '40 Dodge grille is the same as you describe yours. However, there is an aftermarket one-piece cast pot metal grill that was available. I have a set of those cast one-piece grilles hanging in my basement.

Phil

Frankie...........howdya do that?.......lol........don't tell me....had enough problems trying to do normal pics....lol.........bob, theres a heap of coupe pics also on the forum........I was on a roll last night......and Phil......why would they have done aftermarket grille's?.......theres a guy with an ex USA 40 Dodge here in Oz, I have only seen pics but he told me the grille was diecast, also with the USA large one piece front sheetmetal he said that the diecast grille fits into the opening and then small bolts are inserted from the front to hold it in place as there is no way you could access the rear of the grille......which is how the Oz brass grille is held in, you gain access from above via the long opening because of the Plymouth hood allows access in front of the radiator........andyd

and Phil......why would they have done aftermarket grille's?.......theres a guy with an ex USA 40 Dodge here in Oz, I have only seen pics but he told me the grille was diecast, also with the USA large one piece front sheetmetal he said that the diecast grille fits into the opening and then small bolts are inserted from the front to hold it in place as there is no way you could access the rear of the grille......which is how the Oz brass grille is held in, you gain access from above via the long opening because of the Plymouth hood allows access in front of the radiator........andyd

Nope. Diecast is aftermarket! My set had a tag with a manufacturers name (now long gone/faded). You see them on ebay periodically but you see more of the original type. Both types originally have screws in from the back side. You remove the small pan underneath the nose piece to access. You need loooong arms. On my '40 I modified it a bit so that I can scew in from the front.

Phil

Bill/Andy, Here we go...

Go to your photo gallery and choose a picture.

Right click on it and a option box will pop up.

Run your cursor to the OPEN WITH option, it will then pop up another smaller box beside it.

Slide your cursor across as not to lose that box and left click on paint. Your photo should pop up wih an option box surrounding it.

Left click on IMAGE, scroll down and left click on

FLIP/ROTATE.

The option you want is FLIP HORIZONTAL.

Left click on it and your picture is a MIRROR IMAGE.

To save this copy click on the X in the upper righthand corner of the option box like you were going to cancel and a option box will pop up and say save or cancel, choose SAVE. Heres one to practice with. It's already backwards!

ROTATE is for pictures you took with your camera in a vertical position and don't want to hurt your neck looking at them in posts or in your gallery.

Tim, Dennis, Ralph & Charlie thanks for the comments and Frankie......nnnooo..............lol........my head hurts............lol.......and thanks for the info Phil, I had always thought that the brass grilles were "cottage industry" Australian thought I must admit they were/are very good.......one more thing Phil, there is a horizontal bar that I've seen on the occaisonal 1940 US Dodge, between the upper and lower grille pieces, it looks like a chrome bar and sticks out a little at each side..........have you ever seen what I am trying to explain?........lol.......thanks again, andyd

Tim, Dennis, Ralph & Charlie thanks for the comments and Frankie......nnnooo..............lol........my head hurts............lol.......and thanks for the info Phil, I had always thought that the brass grilles were "cottage industry" Australian thought I must admit they were/are very good.......one more thing Phil, there is a horizontal bar that I've seen on the occaisonal 1940 US Dodge, between the upper and lower grille pieces, it looks like a chrome bar and sticks out a little at each side..........have you ever seen what I am trying to explain?........lol.......thanks again, andyd

Hi Andy,

The horizontal chrome piece between the two grille halves is an optional piece. I have one for my '40 but haven't installed it yet. You have to drill a few holes into the horizontal divider bar and then it bolts on (again from behind. You have to remove the lower grille first to install it.). By the way, the ends of the chrome/stainless piece have two or three chevrons that are painted red. I'll see if I can find a photo of one for you.

Phil

Andy,

The pics are not too clear but on the left is a Canadian made D16 having the chrome piece between the grille halves and on the right is my Canadian made D14 (nearly identical to the US made D14) without the chrome piece. As you already know, the hood, nose, headlight surrounds/parking lights and bumper guards are different between the two models which were both made in Canada. Many other differences at back end and interior!

Phil

D16_D14_r1.jpg

Edited by 40phil41

Phil, many thanks for posting that pic of the two different versions........its amazing the subtle differences and with mine being a D15D, which from what I've seen in a local sales brochure is the D15 DeLuxe........as my car came with twin tailights, twin wipers, door and rear seat armrest, front bumper overiders..........but its interesting comparing the 3 front treatments, ie, my 40 Dodge trim on the basic Plymouth front, the Canadian version of my car but with the USA style bumper and then the all singing, genuine USA Version with the proper headlight surround etc.......don't suppose you have a rear picture of these two cars?........lol...............thanks again........and btw Don, thanks........lol........andyd

Andy, on the sedan, what did you use for a lower A arm to adapt the later spindles? I have made an adapter to use a screw in ball joint from a 77 Chrysler Cordoba. I am planning on using the spindles and upper A frames from the 77 Cordoba on my 48 Plymouth sedan. I started to install the whole package and got one side installed but could not get enough postive caster. Got tired of working on my knees under the fender and reinstalled the stock suspension and said I would pull the front clip and do the installation where I could stand up while doing it. I have not done it yet and now its 2 years later.