Horn relay wiring

Black Widow

When I bought my P15 the horns were disconnected. I hooked the wires up and they blew continously. I figured it was the relay. I bought a replacement 6 volt relay but it only has three posts, the one on my car has four. I purchased a NOS Mopar relay on ebay and installed it Sunday. I disconnected each wire and made the connections to the same post on the new one. Hooked the horns up and they still blow constant. Could this relay be bad also? Is it possible that the wires are not connected correctly? I have the manual, but it doesn't help much with the wiring.

Have you checked the ground wire from the horn button on the steering wheel? When you press the button it grounds the circuit and the horn sounds. If that wire is shorting out or the horn button is making constant contact the horns will constantly sound.

Jim Yergin

Thanks for the tip Ed. Is there some way to verify that? The thought of taking it apart doesn't really thrill me. But then again if I can get the horns to work, that may thrill me more.

Jim, I believe I can figure that out. The manual I have shows a pretty good exploded view of the horn button assy. Thanks for your help.

Edited by Black Widow

If its still the factory wire there is a bullet connector at the bottom of the steering box. Unplug that and hook everything else up. Then plug it back in and see if the horns honk instantly. Otherwise you'll have to unplug it at the bottom and pull it out for a visual inspection.

the horn circuit is powered either hot ign off or hot ign on. The horn button provides the ground to complete the circuit. There is a wire running up the steering post that connects the horn to the ground through the button. If the wire is frayed inside the column it will sound the horn.

If you want to change it, remove the horn button discinnect the wire from the assembly and attach a new wire to it and pull it out and the new wire through the steering column by locating the end coming out of the steering gear box. Ther should be a bakelite wire connector there that allows a disconect of the wire coming from the relay.

When I bought my P15 the horns were disconnected. I hooked the wires up and they blew continously. I figured it was the relay. I bought a replacement 6 volt relay but it only has three posts, the one on my car has four. I purchased a NOS Mopar relay on ebay and installed it Sunday. I disconnected each wire and made the connections to the same post on the new one. Hooked the horns up and they still blow constant. Could this relay be bad also? Is it possible that the wires are not connected correctly? I have the manual, but it doesn't help much with the wiring.

Make sure that the horns are good.

I just replaced both horns for the same reason....blowing fuses.

They can (and did) develop internal short to ground, especially if you live in a winter snow zone and they use salt on the roads.

Just run a wire from the battery neg to the neg terminal on horn....just momentarily. If you get a hummm or funny "croaking", horn is shot.

Edited by Tim Frank
additional info