Later block Oil Filter thread size/type ?

James_Douglas

Anyone know off the top of their head what the size and thread pitch are on the oil tube holes on the side of later type block (early 1950's) ?

I am mounting a remote and need to have some uses made up. I am using the direct bolt on unit that I got from Don C. It works fine and I do like it...except that I cannot get to the wires on the starter, much less take it off without removing the filter.

Since I don't own a new car, I would like to go have hoses made up tomorrow and not have to take it off and on twice to make the change.

Thanks, James

http://www.dacoglu.com/IMG_0011.JPG

Thanks Don,

I got the call message and stopped before heading out. I pulled the thing and it is 1/4 Pipe.

I had Don (With the Cadillac) take me to the hose house.

I have one concern. A 1/4" hydraulic hose fitting has a fairly small orifice that goes into the hose. I am a little worried that it will restrict volume.

I guess I will find out.

Best, James

I put the 1/8 NPT plug directly into the block just a minute before posting to you..verified with the 1/8 NPT tap...now if you are referring to the adapter that the flare tubing connects, then that is not what you ask for in the first post..on a 1/8 NPT tap the the threads are cut ona a taper with the bottom being smaller than the top...middle cross section of the tap is .400.. A 1/4 pipe thread is much much larger I can assure you..

chaulk up another wierd one eh..I verified the three block readily at hand in the shop 46 Plymouth block, the 48 Dodge block and the 230 block in my 1954 Plymouth..all using filters...all 1/8 NPT...I recognize the size easily for all my air tool inlet fittings are 1/4 NPT and they are huge is comparison..and as I stated earlier..the 1/8 pipe tap was thread in just for giggles..

Tim;

You are correct on the 1/8" pipe thread for a by pass filter on both a long and short block. But the long block full flow filter uses a 1/4" oil supply and return line. The full flow filter bolts up to the diamond shaped boss on the side of the engine between the distributor and starter motor.

9.jpg

1111111.jpg

thanks Don...was thinking for a monent that I was reading things wrong..James just said remote filter and pictured him just piping the stock to a remote spin on adapter..late last night I looked in the parts book for the "adapters" and they spelled out 1/8 NPT for the block transistioning to 1/4 flare etc etc..after the second post from James I thought maybe he was asking for the flare tube nut thread...

I went to blow out the lines, with my mouth, prior to installing them. I noted a lot of back pressure.

Turns out that these new reusable hydraulic lines fittings use a screw on compression fitting. The ID on these are a LOT less than the older compression fit lines.

I am very worried that the volume will be restricted. On a hydraulic system running in the hundreds or thousands of pounds the flow would not necessarily be an issue. However, at 40 PSI it could.

I am going to hook up a water hose to the end of the line and run a minute of water through it. The line pressure is about 50 PSI and that should give me a approximate GPM flow rate.

A Mellon oil pump for our engines runs about 4 to 5 GPM. If the fitting does not run 5 or more then I will not use it.

Thoughts?

James

thanks Don...was thinking for a monent that I was reading things wrong..James just said remote filter and pictured him just piping the stock to a remote spin on adapter..late last night I looked in the parts book for the "adapters" and they spelled out 1/8 NPT for the block transistioning to 1/4 flare etc etc..after the second post from James I thought maybe he was asking for the flare tube nut thread...

I read the part where he got the filter from me and I knew right away what he was talking about.

I went to blow out the lines, with my mouth, prior to installing them. I noted a lot of back pressure.

Turns out that these new reusable hydraulic lines fittings use a screw on compression fitting. The ID on these are a LOT less than the older compression fit lines.

I am very worried that the volume will be restricted. On a hydraulic system running in the hundreds or thousands of pounds the flow would not necessarily be an issue. However, at 40 PSI it could.

I am going to hook up a water hose to the end of the line and run a minute of water through it. The line pressure is about 50 PSI and that should give me a approximate GPM flow rate.

A Mellon oil pump for our engines runs about 4 to 5 GPM. If the fitting does not run 5 or more then I will not use it.

Thoughts?

James

James;

I too would be concerned about the flow rate on your new hoses. Pictured below is a spin-on plus Oberg filter conversion done on a long block Crashler. I took these pictures in 2004 so I dont recall all the specifics but it appears he is using 5/8" heater hose. I also have an Oberg filter out in the garage. I looked at it this morning and it has 3/8" IPS female threads for the inlet and outlet.

Oberg1.jpg

I went back to the hose house and we made up a larger set of hoses that have a clear diameter equal to that of the ID of a 1/4 pipe fitting. Since the block is threaded with 1/4 pipe, that ID is the limiting factor. I assume that as long as all the fittings and the hoses are equal to that ID it should be ok.

It did require however to go to a large hose and fitting size to get the ID I wanted. We used a reducer to step the AN to to 1/4 pipe.

Photos later today.

James

Got everything hooked up and started the car. Warm (not hot) start up oil pressure went up from 20 PSI with the old to 32 PSI with the new filer and hoses.

After a run of about 30 blocks and good and hot the pressure went down to 22 PSI at 1500 RPM and down to 15 PSI at idle. The mini gauge on top of the oil filter adapter is more accurate to read than the dash gauge. It is interesting to note that 22 PSI it the Fram filter internal pressure by-pass valve setting. I will try it cold and see if it stays low or not.

The engine seemed to run a little warm at idle as well.

The filter is a Fram HP4. Something is not working correct with the set up.

I am using the Moroso adapter and the Fram filer. My little voice is not happy, although the thing looks good fit in the engine bay well and can be spun off easy for filter changes. It also opens up the area between the distributor and the starter for easy access.

All that said, I think that the Don C tractor filter may go back on as I don't like what I am seeing.

Anyone have any thoughts now is the time to chime in...

James