PowerFlight

James_Douglas

If anyone runs across a Powerflight trans from 1954-1955 that bolts to the flathead six, would you let me know.

I am looking for one cheep to try on a prototype project I am doing. No big hurry, this project I think will take a year or two...

So, keep this in the back of your head and if you run across one cheep let me know.

I will also be looking for a 1956-58 version with the pushbuttons. I want to see if I can get play part swap and get a push button Powerflight to mate without an adapter to a flathead six.

Best, James

I know they used the pushbutton trans in 1957, as my parents owned a 57 Plym

wagon - which I ultimately wrecked. It was a V8, but they did have sixes then

as well. Probably some with the pushbutton automatic. Don't know about the

bellhousing.

Back in my high school days our auto shop teacher had a '50 Chrysler Windsor and he had put a pushbutton trans in it retaining the flathead six. He put the buttons where the driver side ash tray is on the 50 dash. I know the engine was the original and I am sure the trans was from a 59 Dodge.

So, it can be done.

(note this was done in Canada with a Canadian Dodge donor car)

Edited by PatS....

no need to send photos if you believe as stated by the book says it won't work so I would be wasting my time to say other wise and if I am not mistaken, I think I did state Plymouth. To continue with the thought however, my motors manual shows 1954 was the last years for the 6 in the Chrysler and DeSoto but Plymouth and Dodge continued on with the 230 CI..so the bell housing is much different in the 6 and 8 application...you get a flathead 6 pushbutton and Powerflite..you be in business...DeSoto was not a seperate car company..is shared with mother Mopar...

My Powerflite in the 54 Plymouth here at the house is lever shift on the column..Lou Earle may post pics of his 59 Plymouth if he reads this thread..I did not carry a camera to his his house..just remember..the Powerflite did not get a park sprag, only the Torqueflite got that...the Powerflite was produced from 54-61 sharing 5 years co-produiction with the Torqueflite..it was, and still is, a very rugged dependable transmission..

Tim,

The Hollander is the only thing I have to go on when thinking about such things as all the "good" wrecking yards are long gone from northern California. Some 20 years ago, I could have gone for a walk in my favorite MOPAR yard and looked for myself.

That is also why I mentioned it on this forum, just in case the book was not complete and someone had seen the combination I was talking about.

To your knowledge, do all the PowerFlights that were made for the flathead six engines have the same bell housing configuration ? Also, do the Powerflights all use the same mounting points on the read of the unit?

Thanks, James

James..in using the Powerflite you will have to remove the rivets from the original cross member and fabricate one for the P-flite mount..these cross members are available for about 65.00 and up depending on who what when and where..by removing the rivets, you can always put your original back if you decide to go that route later...maybe Lou will post a picture for you later...just talked to him earlier on the phone...

alas there are no j-yards in my area that has old mopars..I think the oldest one I can remember has 2 50's ear and a D24 and a P15 all have been pretty much picked over..I was able to snag a piece of trim for my 54 at that yard..

as for the bellhousing..Lou's 59 looks just like all the others..

I had a 54 DeSoto years ago that had a flathead with a Powerflite. You should be able to find one that will bolt up. There is a plate that bolts to the motor and the tranny bolts to the plate. The tranny was also a column shift.

If I'm reading my 55-56 Mopar parts manual right, they did change the bellhousing from 55 (shifter on the dash) to 56 (pushbutton). However, the six-cylinder adaptor plate (between the bellhousing and engine) is the same. So I don't know why you'd have any problem bolting up a pushbutton Powerflite (or torqueflite) to a flathead six so long as you have a six-cylinder adaptor plate and a 56 or later pushbutton bellhousing.

BTW, neither Powerflites nor cast iron (56-61) Torqueflites had a park pawl.