Hemmings classic car mag

Rodney Bullock

Hi everyone, The new Hemmings mag has an interveiw with Roberts motor parts. great article. The passing of the torch is welcome to an ever changing hobby. Jim take a look at their 41 Plymouth it's the same color you have:)

The mag also has a article on a jeep. interesting

On the Studebaker front, they have a Avanti on the front cover. It's a very very interesting month in Hemmings.

We need some good reading from our hobby driven mags because it motivates me and many others.:)

I subscribe to a few old car magazines, but I think that "Classic Car" is the best one out there. Very good articles, my favorite is the "Driveable Dream" ones, not to mention the ones about the younger generation's vehicles, after all, they are the ones that are going to keep the hobby alive and well.

My thoughts,

Bob

Hemmings Classic Car is the only old car magazine I get. I agree that this month is a great edition. I also like reading the "Driveable Dream" and usually do this first. I could do without the "art section" as it is a bit repetitious and the "small car" articles is another one I would miss. Overall, a very good magazine at a good price. They quite often have something of interest for Chrysler product lovers and that is always nice to see.

Hi everyone, The new Hemmings mag has an interveiw with Roberts motor parts. great article. The passing of the torch is welcome to an ever changing hobby. Jim take a look at their 41 Plymouth it's the same color you have:)

The mag also has a article on a jeep. interesting

On the Studebaker front, they have a Avanti on the front cover. It's a very very interesting month in Hemmings.

We need some good reading from our hobby driven mags because it motivates me and many others.:)

Rodney,

I have the new issue and enjoyed that article on Roberts. I did notice the '41. I believe that at one time they also owned a '41 Plymouth wagon. I remember when they had it up for sale.

Jim Yergin

I have not looked at a car magazine in years and only then to get a address or website to search on possible parts etc...face it,,this hobby is not fun until you are right smack dab in the middle of it cutting, sanding, welding, painting, wrenching blurting out a few choice words now and then..forums and real life web sites with progressive how-did shots by the actual owner/builder wins hands down any day of the week..

i have dealt with them a few years ago for brake parts.ordered all new wheel cylinders. they all came boxed and bagged except one. that one was defective. it must have been a former return that got mixed in with inventory. very annoying, but they made good on it very fast. nice people. i get hemmings, classic car and old cars weekly. like them all and i read every word. great bathroom reading. dennis

In this months there is a story about a guy with a 50 Oldsmobile he drives it unrestored and the last line in the article is so true

"People ask when I am going to restore it I say I'm not going to restore it I've already got one apart in my garage and I don't need two".

Also a great article on a 62 willys .

In this months there is a story about a guy with a 50 Oldsmobile he drives it unrestored and the last line in the article is so true

"People ask when I am going to restore it I say I'm not going to restore it I've already got one apart in my garage and I don't need two".

Also a great article on a 62 willys .

Thats a great quote.

Hemmings Classic Car is the only old car magazine I get.

Robert, I figured you would be an Old Autos subscriber. I have been since 1988 when it started. I also get Hemmings Classic Cars and enjoy it very much.

Brendan, I used to get Cars & Parts but found after a while there were too many parts and not enough cars. Same old suppliers listed in every issue and I can find them on the internet if I want them. Also found they were going with a lot of "newer" old cars which don't really interest me. I used to like it when there were lots of individuals advertising parts for sale but those days are gone as ebay gets most of that traffic. For now I like Hemmings Classic Car as they do have lots of "oldies". I am not married to any magazine and may change again in the future.

I don't know if you guy's remember that Car and parts mag had a tv show. The guy from " WKRP in cinncinati" was the host. They have been around for a while. The one thing I like about that mag is the "Salvage yard articles" I have a great listing of junk yards aroun my area(100 miles) I also notice that they are including new cars however you must understand that as the years go by these cars qualify.

Those two mags Car and Parts and Hemmings motor news are the leaders in antique car circles. The tech articles are very informative and once you have the mag you have the info. I am guilty of saving mags going back to 1982 I keep them by year and never throw them away. At the years end I make sure I have 12 and put them in plastic totes for the future collector in my family. I have some nephews and cousins that will get my cars when the day comes so I have to have info for them as well. My kids already know what to do.:rolleyes: I should live to be 115 years old. At 113 I will stop driving:eek:

I was a subscriber to Cars & Parts for many years also but Robert, the one I referred to is Old Autos and is in a newspaper format. It is published twice monthly in Ontario and the yearly subscription rate is about $30. If you contact them at http://www.oldautos.ca I think they will send you a sample.

Brendan, now I remember what you mean. I have seen copies of it at our car club meeting. You are right, it is a good read and worth looking into further.

the easiest , cheapest and the mag with the quickest turn around is AUTO-ROUNDUP from w.va. a small mag twice monthly, free advertising of your car or stuff.

no articles tho..

bill

I have subscribed to that magazine on and off for many years..in an off mode right now...your advertising gets good circulation..I sold a couple vehicles through them. The magazine is ideal as they have an events column in the back that lists events from all over...great to have in your car for classic insurance purposes..as in "I was on my way to this show right here when this bloke comes out of nowhere and...............!"

I first subscribed to Cars & Parts in the 1970s when the cover was red.

Have also taken Old Cars Newspaper, which comes weekly. Quit that one

as it accumulated too quickly. Still have a batch of them stored.

Subscribed to Hemmings Motor News for a while, but now only buy it once

or twice a year.

I take Hemmings Classic Car now.....a nice mag. And still get C & P.

On an auto--related note, there is Route 66 Magazine, published in

Arizona, comes out bi-monthly. Been subscribing to that......has

pretty good articles about places along the Route.

Read the above thread with interest. Seems like no two blind men touch the elephant at the same spot, what? I'm sorta' surprised no one even gave a glancing blow to my favorite car rag, Skinned Knuckles. Back when I was publishing a magazine of my own, this one resource gave me a wealth of common sense type information. I have found it to be delightful and have read it for many years. Very little if any advertising but lots of good solid informational reading. A year or two ago, a friend gave to me as a gift a sub to another publication some of you may not be aware of, Auto Restorer, put out by Bowtie publications. It's another one with absolutely no advertising - just automotive how-to information. Check it out. JMHO

Dave, I am glad that you mentioned Skinned Knuckles, I didn't know that it is still being published. Auto Restorer is a great mag also. I subscribed to it for a number of years and the ones that I saved I sold to another member of this forum. Now that I think about it, all the reading I am after doing (about 47 years) I should be smarter than I am.:)

When I go to the Atlantic city convention center, "Auto restorer" has a booth. I normally get a sub. The funny thing is they come in a plastic bag and I have never broken the bag:) I have 3 years of the mag and have never read any of them. I guess they will be a collectors item. Yeah... if you don't know by now I'm NUTS:cool: takes all kinds.

Maybe saving magazines in an unopened plastic bag makes 'em worth more at the auction they'll have after your funeral. Sorta' like new model toys still in the box, what? Or maybe it's not what the magazines are packed/shipped in, but whether or not they've been read. Maybe if they've never had an eyball scan 'em they're more pristine or more collectable?

My head hurts just thinking about this . . . . . . :D

Dave, I agree with you. I have had stacks of magazines here in the past before internet and gladly have passed them on to others before I pass on.:)

In regards to models, when I get them I throw away the box because I like looking at them. I am in this for a hobby and have fun with it as most of us do.