New Whatzit

Merle Coggins

How is the coolant circulated?

The early Plymouth 4 cylinder cars do not have a water pump. Hot water

gravates to the top of the radiator and is cooled and returns to the engine

from the bottom of the radiator.

Pictured is Chets 1929 Plymouth with no water pump.

chet1.jpg

chtseng.jpg

chtfrntend.jpg

I also learned a little about early fuel delivery systems this past weekend. Early cars, including Plymouths, didn't have fuel pumps as we know them. There is a canister on the firewall (I believe it is the one shown on Chets car in Don's first photo) As it was explained to me, there is a venturi in the oil pump system that creates a vacuum. This is connected to the top of the fuel canister which draws the gas up from the fuel tank. When the top section of the canister gets full a float closes off the vacuum and the gas drops down into the lower portion of the canister, which then feeds the carb by gravity.

Did I explain it right? I just had it explained to me that way.

Merle

I also learned a little about early fuel delivery systems this past weekend. Early cars, including Plymouths, didn't have fuel pumps as we know them. There is a canister on the firewall (I believe it is the one shown on Chets car in Don's first photo) As it was explained to me, there is a venturi in the oil pump system that creates a vacuum. This is connected to the top of the fuel canister which draws the gas up from the fuel tank. When the top section of the canister gets full a float closes off the vacuum and the gas drops down into the lower portion of the canister, which then feeds the carb by gravity.

Did I explain it right? I just had it explained to me that way.

Merle

You did explain it correctly. I was going to mention that in my posting but the vacuum system is actually a fuel pump.

The fellow with the 1919 International had an interesting fuel delivery system under his seat. He had a 5gal outboard motor tank, a 12volt lawn tractor battery, and a electric pulse fuel pump which when switched on, pumped the gas to the carb. Great temp arrangement to enable running from his spot to the ramp where he loaded it on his trailer.

Dennis

100_0316.jpg

Another piece of info. The first 30 plymouth has no water pump and the vacuum fuel system. By the end of 30 they had both. There are 3 versions of 1930 plymouths. We had a guy in our club with a 29 and the float for his vacuum tank liked to break and fill his engine with fuel. He had it happen a couple times and it lucky to not have caused any more damage other then needing an oil change.