S-10 ball joints (OT) = (off topic)

_shel_ny

I just did all 4 on a Jimmy. It sounds like you have the same job.

I used an angle grinder and cut off the heads on the control arm end. I f you cant get at them, do the other end and the joint will fall off the rivets anyway.

The studs usually don't turn because once you pull the cotter pin out and break the nut loose, it unthreads pretty easily. It's more common to have the studs stick in the knuckle hole. Just put as much prying pressure on the arm, and hit the SIDE of the knuckle where the pin is.

It's one filthy job if you've been greasing them like you were supposed to.

I believe when we did them on a buddies s10 we just hit them with an air chisel. I don't think it matters which way you destroy them as long as you only cut the rivets.

Shel,

I know you are trying to save the cost of labor on this job. But.......if that is your daily driver you depend on, I think I'd rather just take it to a shop and have it done. Lets face it. If you are not sure how to do this, you are going to take a lot longer than a shop would to do it. Could end up taking all day if you are going slow because you are unsure. Plus, while it's in the shop you could be doing whatever else needs to be done around the house.

I never work on my modern cars. Don't even change the oil in them myself. When they need a repair or oil change, I take them into the shop. Just this past January I needed new rotors and pads on the front of my van. Yes, I could have put those on. But........I took it to the shop down the street and paid him to do it. Dropped the van off around 9 AM, and by 11 AM I got a call and was told the van was done and ready for pick up.:cool: I got a lot done while the car was in the shop. Didn't bother to pick it up until sometime that afternoon, after I had finished doing the other things.:cool:

Hey Coatney, you seem to have lost some patience, seem to have developed a bit of lower tolerence for newbies, and are more ascerbic than 6 or 7 hundred posts ago. But then you are a bit older now.

I know you are gainfully employed but there have been several openings for Bridge Trolls locally.........

Hey Coatney, you seem to have lost some patience, seem to have developed a bit of lower tolerence for newbies, and are more ascerbic than 6 or 7 hundred posts ago. But then you are a bit older now.

I know you are gainfully employed but there have been several openings for Bridge Trolls locally.........

Good assement Greg and right on the money. I have noticed that myself. Age? Not sure but a possibility. Being on the road 2/3rds of the time a better possibility as I dont have the free time I used to have.