A lovely day in the UK (slightly OT)

Robin (UK)

Guys,

We went to a rockabilly day at a recently re-fitted 1950s themed bowling alley in central London, yesterday.

It was such a lovely winter's day, we took the Plymouth for a spin.

When we came out of the venue, we saw this amazing 1928 Model A pick-up, hopped up with a Thomas dual-carb intake.

A great day out.

R.

post-13-13585344881638_thumb.jpg

post-13-13585344882652_thumb.jpg

Guest Nile Limbaugh

Robin, I picked up a copy of one of our rod & custom mags the other day that ran a feature on a British show. Problem was (to me) that the pics were all of US iron; stuff we see all the time. But in the background one could see a lot of British cars that had been rodded/customized; Austin Devons, old Wolseleys, sit-up-and-beg Fords, etc. Although this might be a bit OT, I think a lot of us might enjoy seeing what your countrymen are doing with your domestic cars. I know I would. What does everybody think? (I owned a Morris Oxford while I was in Germany in the 60's) Maybe that's why I have this interest):confused:

I just go look in the barn and shop..two Sunbeam Tigers, 4 Spitfires, 1 GT6 and though they are still at the barn at my bud's house, 3 Triumph TR6's. One of them is the 386th car made..really pretty early production number..too much junk I have..but fun and am able to always get my money plus out of them should I have/decide to sell. Two of the Spits are bodies only..but real solid bodies. Typical floor rot only..quick fix as panels are very cheap for these rides. The English have made some remarkable looking small cars over the years...despite LUCAS electrical...they have survived and get great following.

Seems some of the Tims in this forum have history with British cars.

I have had two Minis...real ones, not the new high end ones, a Spit, an MGB and a Midget, an Austin Marina...possibly the worst car ever built, and my all-time favorite, a 1946 Somerset Sedan...almost the size of a P-15 but with an 1100 CC.engine. about 50 HP. about half the time I had to crank it as the starter was wonky, and I ended up in a cast for a month after breaking my wrist while I was cranking it.

Would have loved to R&R a Six.

That's a classy and classic hotrod there. Classy lady too.

As far as seeing more of the british cars featured, I have to admit, I once lusted for a TR6 with a 289 ford conversion, there are a few around, and I once owned a bone stock RHD 57 Anglia sedan and almost gave it away in the 60's, but always thought that the Anglia would've made a great street gasser. The front unibody was all bent from the prior owner crashing into a large curb. Guy was a rural postman.

Thanks for the kind comments about Colette.

My son, Henry, is now six and a half.

Boy, he's growing FAST!

We bought him a model 4-cylinder OHV engine for Christmas. It's all made from transparent and colored plastic and when it's finished, will turn from an electric motor with flashing lights to simulate sparking plugs.

It has over 100 parts. We're spending time building it together, and he loves it.

I'm waiting for the day I can send him out to the garage to fix my Plymouth!!!

my all-time favorite, a 1946 Somerset Sedan...almost the size of a P-15 but with an 1100 CC.engine. about 50 HP.

Hey Tim,

That A40 Somerset would have been quite a lot smaller than the P15.

Only about 13 feet long and 5 feet wide.

Engine was probably 1200cc (73 cu in).

I had an early 50s Somerset for a very short time, but I always preferred the British Fords and have been lucky to have owned two 54/55 Consuls and a rare 55 Zephyr convertible.