Langdon 2-BBL in a single carb configuration

James_Douglas

Don, Pete, and others...

Can the 2-BBL carbs from Langdon bet set up with basically stock linkage and a manual choke?

My Carter is acting up and I am thinking of just getting gone of Tom's set ups.

Anyone have any photos of a single carb setup using one of Langdons holley/carter/weber 2-BBL's.

Thanks, James

Neither of these carbs is set up for a manual choke. The Carter/Weber has an electric choke that works pretty well, however.

The biggest issue you would have with the Carter/Weber is that the throttle arm opens in the opposite direction from a B&B. The easiest solution to that would probably be changing to a cable linkage and running a bellcrank setup outboard of the carb.

I'd also wonder about the jetting. The OEM application for this carb is a 2 liter motor. Since our motors are almost 4 liters of displacement, it's a slamdunk when you are using a pair of them. I don't know what you would need to do for a single carb installation.

Marty

Just for camparison, the 56 6 option was similar to the one used on early 272/318. Not sure if they were the same carb but similar in design. The /6 used a 2bbl option that was similar, and those carbs would probably jetted very close to what the 230 would need.

James,

I have the dual Carter Webbers on my 218 and have never hooked the choke up. While I am in Dallas, I drive the car everyday and there have been some 30 degree days when it fired right up.

Pete is running the Holly Webbers on his and if I remember correctly he does not have his choke connected either and it does get a little cooler where he lives.

I sent Tom the email below to see what he says about my needs...Thanks Guys, James...I will post what his reply is says...

Hello,

I am thinking of replacing my Carter 1-BBL carburetor with something else. I am running a MOPAR 251 Cubic Inch Flathead Six. Do you have the necessary linkage and adaptors to use one of your carburetors on this engine?

Are your carbs of proper CFM and jetting for this size engine and can one of these carburetors be set to idle down to 400 RPM ?

This is a high load car in that it is a 9 passenger sedan on a 140 inch wheel base. It is using a Fluid Coupling with a standard three speed with Borg Warner Overdrive. It is six volt positive ground. If you have a carburetor that meets the above needs, do you have one with a manual choke?

Lastly, due to the Fluid Drive, I need a dashpot to prevent stalling as the throttle is hit hard and then stopped under a load with the Fluid Coupling. Without a dashpot on the carburetor when in a stop and go traffic the engine can be killed by quick throttle reversal.

Please advise. Thanks, JD

I used a holley 94 on my '49 D30. It has the fluid drive and the carb I bought was dashpot equiped. I used a later '54 Plymouth exhaust manifold to use the thermostatically controlled choke. There are electric and manual conversions for it. I had an adaptor milled out of aluminum to mount on my standard intake and the only adjustment I made to the throttle linkage was to shorten 1 rod by screwing the end down a little. I am running a little fast on the idle with the 230 but this is probably going to be a lessor problem with the 265. This carb came from a 56 Ford Mainline or Customline with the 272 V8 and automatic transmission.

http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/jacobsheir/?action=view&current=Holley94.jpg

Jim

i am sold on the ease of fixing, parts, and performance of the B&B single carters. with any 2bbl you will need an adaptor $30, also plymouth used a 2bbl on their late 50's cars. salvage yard? get the ex manifold with it!!

are you after performance?

actually i have 2 B&B singles with offy intakes on both of my plyms...they work well! noticeable pulling pwer! and just a 250$ upgrade!!

bill

The '56 Dodge that donated its 230 to my P15 had a 2 bbl carb. With the same intake and carb, it should work slick on your car. Actually considered keeping the 2 bbl intake when I swapped engines. Over eight years later, I can't remember the drawbacks to keeping the 2 bbl carb. I'm running the 1 bbl B&B on my engine and it runs great.

I use a single two barrel with electric choke on my 218. Works fine...I guess..plenty of power. I had to adjust the linkage a bit to get full throttle. All I did was change the old linkage arm out for a ...butter knife with a hole drilled in each end for connection....yep a butter knife. :D