I am looking for a new or rebuilt...

David Maxwell

...replace the shaft. That's my problem. I replaced everything else, but had a slight wobble due to wear on the shaft.

David,

Replacing the bushings is very easy and does not take long. Other than that the dizzy is simple to rebuild.

You would be better off getting a core and doing it yourself. probably a better job as well.

James

David,

If your not in a big hurry...

Box it up and send it to me. I have some parts that Don gave me and I may be able to find a good shaft.

As a rule the shafts don't go bad. The bronze-oilite busing in the housing wear down and need replacing. Have you taken apart the unit and see wear on the shaft itself?

Best, James

Ok,

I just read as opposed to glanced at your last message. Send me a photo with measurements of the shaft and let me see what I have.

You can take to the shaft to a machine shop and they can turn the shaft and then get some larger bushings and ream them to fit.

OR

You can send the shaft into a hard chrome shop and they can build up the shaft back to the original size. A side benefit is that the shaft will never wear again.

Best, James

David,

Did that wobble in the distributor shaft affect the way your car runs? Just curious. When I rebuilt my engine I didn't do anything to my distributor because I checked it with a dial gauge and it was within specs but with a moving part so old, I can't quite relax about it. Haven't even got the engine in the car yet, but time will tell.

I'll get it to run pretty well, but there is always just a slight miss. Most people probably wouldn't bother, but it drives me nuts. Everything else on my car is like new so I would really like to have a "like new" distributor with near perfect timing.

David,

Did that wobble in the distributor shaft affect the way your car runs? Just curious. When I rebuilt my engine I didn't do anything to my distributor because I checked it with a dial gauge and it was within specs but with a moving part so old, I can't quite relax about it. Haven't even got the engine in the car yet, but time will tell.