Fluid Drive Fluid

James_Douglas

No, by car has no dashpot, why would it have one? And if it did how would it 'know' if I had the clutch in or out while not moving?

The semi-auto M5/6 trans,with fluid coupler, will have a dash pot( anti-stall) like device, as those trans need to idle down fast, and not stall, when the trans is shift from either 1st to 3rd or 2nd to th. I am not sure the 3 speed and fluid drive, has an anti-stall device, or if it is needed.

There are those with experience that state, if the fluid coupler is working well, and does not leak, then leave it alone. Is this the case for you.

Dodgeb4ya, knows a whole lot about these units, you could always ask Him...

Change the fluid. There is a plug in the side of the fluid drive unit and it can be done with out removing the unit. It takes almost 2 gallons of fluid to refill. If you're car came original with the fluid drive you will have a dashpot on the carb. If it is a Stromberg it is internal to the carb but can be identified if you have any literature on the carb. And yes the fluid drive unit will drag down your engine idle when you have the car in gear with the clutch out and the brake on. That is normal for me.