Replacement Fuel Line

Joe Flanagan

Have any of you replaced your fuel line? I'm redoing mine completely. I've kept all the old stuff and I was wondering where you get new. I've seen some of the vendors advertise the short rubber line that goes to the fuel pump but was wondering about the rest. Is this a stock parts store item like brake lines? Also, when I took the car apart I was pretty careful about taking photos and making diagrams before disassembly. Still, occasionally I come across something where I scratch my head and say, "What the heck?" This is one of them. I have pictures showing the fuel line running up the left rail of the car's frame, right alongside the brake line. Once it gets up near the engine, I've lost the trail. Can anyone enlighten me? I know it has to cross the engine compartment and go over to the passenger side of the engine where the fuel pump lives. Does it run along the crossmember of the car's frame? Photos, anyone? Thanks.

Can't help with the location on the car but yes you can get it at the auto store just like brake lines. Its just a bigger size. The only thing you'll run into is the auto stores won't have a preflared line long enough to go front to back. I had to buy 2 pieces and use a union on my truck. My car already has a factory union but I haven't replaced that fuel line yet anyways.

Have any of you replaced your fuel line? Still, occasionally I come across something where I scratch my head and say, "What the heck?" This is one of them. I have pictures showing the fuel line running up the left rail of the car's frame, right alongside the brake line. Once it gets up near the engine, I've lost the trail. Can anyone enlighten me? I know it has to cross the engine compartment and go over to the passenger side of the engine where the fuel pump lives. Does it run along the crossmember of the car's frame? Photos, anyone? Thanks.

The gas line goes along the front by the crossmember some I have seen them inside,under or outside the radiator but I put the new lines where they are the easiest to get at usually along the inside of front cross member. I did not have a original style gas hose to connect to the fuel pump I just use a short piece of gas hose and a inline filter that screws in the inlet of the fuel pump Napa # 23049.

As I recall the fuel line is 5/16 (someone correct me if I am wrong) I used 2 60" and 1 30" preformed lines from napa not sure about the 49 but my 52 has a short rubber hose at the tank.

did you capture the ferel ferrul that usually escapes when you release the line form the tank???? This is a fitting like the collar of a compression fitting about the size of a pencil eraser that helps seal the lin in the tank fitting.

When released these usually escape to the deepest darkest corner of yout garage or shop.

Greg, I don't know if I captured it or not but I think there are a lot of things living in that deepest darkest corner of my garage. I have dropped many small objects and it is so cramped in there, I usually say, "Oh, I'll get that later." I'm sure all those small parts have made a little colony by now.

Normally, I put everything in a plastic bag and label it. I don't recall that particular item, though.

Seems we did not find a ferrule on the tank of the first series 49 P15

when we removed the tank to work on it. I was looking for it, but it

never did appear. Hmmmm........looks to be working OK without it.

I suppose the tank had been disconnected at some time in the past,

since it was coated on the inside already. May have been lost at that

time. We used a fiberglass kit from Walmart to coat the pinholes in

the top of the tank. Not quite enough material in that kit to do a

thorough job. Also had to ream the pickup tube inside the tank with

a coat hanger to get it re-opened. Took a while, but we got it.

100_1361.jpg

Joe, check out Poly Armour brake/fuel lines, there are composite, with steel and whatever, but they bend real easy compared to steel lines, and they do not kink easily at all, which is a bonus.

Either get a roll and make your own flared fittings, or buy premade and use a union, which is fine, as you can put a fuel filter at the union between the tank and fuel pump.

The little rubber hose from the brass union that bolts to the frame, can be made with quality fuel hose, and fittings, or you can buy these replicas from Roberts or Burnbombs. I bought an NOS , and dicked around with and broke it, the darn thing was dried up, I just made my own, simple and cheap................Fred

An inline fuel filter between the tank and fuel pump is a MUST have, plus another between the pump and the carb. Also replacing the fuel lines all the way back to the tank should be done as well. I learned all these lessons while messing with a 1954 M37 power wagon. There was so much rust in the gas tank that you could scoop it out in hand fulls!! Coating the inside works sometimes but if another clean tank can be had that is really the best route to take.

Jeff

Rockwood,

Thanks for the tip on the Poly Armor lines. That should save me a lot of trouble. I was just out looking at my old fuel lines. I've saved the whole thing, from the tank all the way to the pump, so I know what I need to have. I have a flaring tool that works very well, so that shouldn't be a problem. I had a flaring tool that I inherited from my father but it was lousy and I made a bunch of crappy flares when doing my brake lines. Now I have to go back and redo some of them because I'm not sure about them.

As far as radioguy's note goes, I had my tank dipped and when I shine a light inside it, it's as clean as a whistle. I will still assume the worst, though, and install an extra filter or two. All the original brake lines and fuel lines are being replaced. If you'd seen the condition of this car when I first got it, you wouldn't trust any of it. The glass and the sheet metal. That's about all you could trust. The rest of it, replace or rebuild.

I discovered that the fuel line, at least on a 49 Plymouth, runs inside the front crossmember of the frame. It does a kind of awkward crossover with the brake line right under the floor of the driver's side. I have pictures in case anyone ever finds themselves replacing theirs.

I think the P-15's run about the same way, I know mine is run that way. I did put a fuel filter right under the rear pass side floor. Mine was run outside the drives side frame rail, that always seemed a little unsafe to me, but is that the way it was run originally?

Yes, outside the driver's side frame rail is the way it was. The brake line runs on the inside. I saved the clips that support the fuel and brake lines because I wasn't sure you could find them anymore. Also, I am double flaring all my ends. I got a new flaring tool that works SO much better than the old one I had. My old one you had to use your bare hands to twist the thing down and it made really crappy flares because it was always canting off to one side for some reason. So I bought one where you actually put a wrench on the flaring tool and you can get really good leverage and make good flares. Plus, it's quick. Anyway, fuel line's done and I'm on to the next thing. If the car were painted I could drop the engine in.

• Like 1