Radios

H Suhling

After getting my turn signal controller to work I am now going to see how far I can go with the radio. Next project. I will clean first, then check tubes, etc as I would a light bulb and connections. I am going to gamble that 80 % of radio repair is cleaning. Over a period of 50 years, dust and humidity make 'mud'!! I am guessing that that 'mud' slowly grounds out the elements until one does NOT work and the radio quits. . A new tube here and there and . . . who knows. Will report back in a week or so

From what I found out when I had mine rebuilt, you need to check the vibrator and tubes. If all is well with those components, the old cardboard capacitors (?) are usually in need of replacement. A while back someone in the know volunteered to walk a novice through the process, but I can't remember who it was. Zeke

All of the pictures that I have seen on this forum have a vertical style radio cut out on the dash. On my 51 3/4 ton, I have a horizontal opening. It seems to be factory. Was there a different style in 51? If so, does anyone know the type or part number so I can search for one? There are no signs of patchwork where the vertical opening should be and this is pretty well done.

Thanks.

Dear idiot;)

A MoPar model 607 or 609 radio will fit right into your factory dash cutout. These are pretty common radios and came in 51-53 Dodge and Plymouths.

Zeke,on this forum,has the only 610T radio ever made and he ain't letting go of it.

Thanks Reg. I will be back out in AZ next month and will scour my Granddad's boneyard. He has 2-3 part trucks laying around. I bought the 51 from him a few years back and just got it back to Iowa recently. He has had it since 52 and it was an everyday driver up to about 99. AZ heat finally caught up to him at age 79. He was looking for cool a/c after that. Can't say I blame him!! Maybe one will have a good radio or one that can be rebuilt. I am grabbing a hood ornament and windshield visor also while out there. Can't wait.

• 6 years later...

I have an original radio but not built in, instead I bought JBL Bluetooth speaker and stream an oldies radio station through it. So I have not only music in the truck but also mobile phone is answered hansfree! Any one interested my radio is for sale..

Does anyone have a comprehensive list of Mopar radios that will fit perfectly into the factory cutout for a 1951 B3B? So far I've read that the 610T, 607, and 609 will all fit exactly. Are there any others?

The 607 or perhaps the 813 should work. 

Many of us talked about this last May here:

http://p15-d24.com/topic/38627-b3-radio/page-5

I ordered some references that covered the radios for the 1951 dodge vehicles and attached the photos of the pages below.

Phil

post-7088-0-58853300-1451189155_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-02420800-1451189157_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-89597700-1451189158_thumb.jpg

• Like 1