48 P-15 4dr ....interesting

P15Mike

Guys , got a lead on a 48 that i went to look at today . After getting there the guy told me he doesnt have the title ...( i forgot to ask on the phone) . Anyway the car will probably end up as a parts car and it seems to be all there though . Had a question , after removing the gas tank from the trunk area (redone w/invoice attached) i found what i thought was a Front brush/grille guard (it already has one on the front) . After examaning it , it was too wide for the front , so i went to the rear and it seemed to line up perfectly for the rear bumper . Ive never seen a rear guard on these or anything else . Has anyone ele seen one of these for the rear ??

Mike

Yes, there is a guard for the rear bumper as well as the front. Below is a picture of the ones I took off my coupe several years ago. Took those and the bumper guards off for a smoother look. Those aren't brush guards, they are crash guards. The were installed to keep other cars from bumping into another car and over riding the bumper and locking them. Also to protect the grill and trunk in case of an accident. Lot's of people seem to be looking for those. Especially the rear one. However, I found that rear guard is a real pain when you are working or getting anything in and out of the trunk. You have to lift things up over them.

Norm , Thats it exactly ! ....funny never saw one before today , have seen plenty of front guards in my time , but not a rear . I may end up getting the car .Both rockers are gone along with thr drivers floor . Owner states the motor was rebuilt 2 years ago , had no battery in it .. I guess im going to try to pick it up , it has a nice r/rocker mldg and a radio , both which i need .

Mike

Mike, Chevy's 1946-48 and some early models have a very complicated rear guard.I was at carlisle last year and a guy had some real nice ones for many different makes and models. Buicks and caddy's had some real nice ones. The chryslars ahd some great looking ones as well, I have one that I got from a friend for trade. I gave him some fog lights. I think 1941 Plymouth's have a nice rear one. When a car does not have a title it's not hard to get one now days. Good luck with it.

Rodney,

I've always said I wouldn't buy a car without a title. But........that's one that I planned on either rebuilding or doesn't need rebuilding. I don't think it matters if you have a parts car without a title. Just pull all the good stuff off of it and junk the rest. Don't need a title for scrap metal. Just cut it up and dump it if necessary.

Depending on price, you can make quite a bit of money on a parts car and get all the parts you want off for nothing. You can sell most things off the car as there is almost always a buyer for each item. Good luck with the purchase.

You could always buy a title. I bought a 64 Fury convertibe, and found out later (after I had it painted and engine gone through) the guy didn't have the title. So I bought one from these guys. Worked very well, I now have the car with a clean title and insurance.

http://www.its-titles.com/

Thx Robert , i'll keep you guys posted . Rodney , where are you located in Maryland ?

Mike

Mike I am near southern Maryland.

I have been to hagerstown a couple of times. You guy's have this big shopping center there It covers many blocks:) The wife and I have driven there with a group of old cars and shopped til we dropped. Do you know this place I am talking about? You would have to take 70- to 270 to 95 to get to me and visa versa. If you know where the wilson bridge is I am just before or just after that bridge.

Rodney , You're refering to the Outlet Mall and yes its very BIG , which is why i dont get anywhere near that place ... I live about 10 min or so from there . Yes i know i know right about where you live . Branch ave ? Indian Head Hwy ? You ever get together over in Burtonsville on sunday Mornings ?

Mike

Spoke with the owner a couple hrs ago and we reached an agreed price , i'm going to pick the car up saturday . Spoke with a couple people and it would be alot easier to get a title if the vehicle was last registered out of state . Unfortunately it was last registered in Md , so i guess im going to take what i need and part the rest of the car out . Anyone need anything let me know .

Mike

Title laws vary from state to state. Here in Massachusetts it is almost impossible to get rid of a car without a title, you can't even junk it. My cousin was given an MG for parts, but then he was stuck with it. He finally ended up cutting it up into pieces to take to the dump. Check your local laws.

Rodney , You're refering to the Outlet Mall and yes its very BIG , which is why i dont get anywhere near that place ... I live about 10 min or so from there . Yes i know i know right about where you live . Branch ave ? Indian Head Hwy ? You ever get together over in Burtonsville on sunday Mornings ?

Mike

Hey Mike, I was out there a month or so ago, now that's a great place. Those guy's have true hot rods, street rods and originals. I can't wait for them to start up again.

Get in touch with Maryland DMV along with your serl# and have them tell you who the owner is. You can get a title through them if still around. If not you can put a storage lean on it and get a title.

Rodney, They also have a big crusein at that lot in Hagerstown on Sat night. Have been there 3or 4 times.

Bill

Anyone need anything let me know .

Mike

I need a "Special DeLuxe" button for the radio speaker grille. A couple of outside door handles with no pits would be nice,too.

When you get it home, can you take pictures to show what it's got?

If there's a clock.....be sure to hang onto that.

I just bought a P15 radio at a swap meet with a nice looking face and

all of it's knobs......for $20. No speaker, but that's OK by me. Thought

it was a good price. Can use it in my coupe.

Bob , saw one of your other posts , looks like you got some good deals . The radio was a really good deal , on the bay i've seen them in that condition got for 75.00 .. Yeah this one didnt have a clock but its got frt/rear guards that i wanted . Going to see if i can get it running tommorrow . I looked under the hood for a bit , noticed the battery was sitting in backwards ??? Could anything have happened to the elec system if the owner tried starting it with the cables to the wrong posts ?? points dmgd or anything like that ?? Just curious before i start tinkering tommorrow .

Mike