Satin Black Paint On 47 Opinions

55 Fargo

Hi all, the last few days, not sure if the cold is getting to my brain or not, but have been thinking about laying on a stin black hot rod paint on my 47 coupe.

Now am I gettting too riduculous with this idea, here are some of the motivating factors.

I like the 50s rod look, the satin paint could be sanded out and painted over anytime, I will paint at home=$avings, lower sheen might keep panel imperfections down to a minimum.

As I say, I do like the look on other cars, my car was a real basket case to begin with, so it's not like I am taking a real nice car and making it into a rat rod............Fred

post-114-13585348818768_thumb.jpg

Hey Dennis, yes thats exactly what I would do, bumpers, and stainelsss, pot metal to stay on, satin black or someother color paint, not sure if I would go with any art work on it, and/or rims painted red............Fred

I am not a big fan of satin or flat black as a finish. It looks cheap and usually is although sometimes I am sure some owners pay big dollars to have it done professionally. I have nothing against black as that is the colour of my '38 Chrysler. You have a nice car and it deserves to look better than a rat rod. I believe you painted a spare trunk lid with decent results so maybe paint a bit of your car at a time as a member did recently, I believe steveply. Buy all the paint you will need beforehand so you know you have a colour match. Why do a job twice when you can do it once.

Satin finishes do a good job of low lighting less than 100 % body work. thats why I am using a flatener with the paint for my Studebaker truck. However there are a lot of choices other than black. Lighter colors also help in disguisig surface problems. Check out the other satin colors that are available in stock colors.

WWELLLLLL..! i like satin black...BUT on smaller cars. i think the big chrysler coupe is to big and remindful of a richer car...SO the black satin has a conflict. i would go with a mild geen or blue or beige or nayve bkue!

i liek red wheels! but not on a high dollar car...

in the back of our minds there is something about economical treatments to economical cars..like the ones we could afford when 16 and up...

bill

WWELLLLLL..! i like satin black...BUT on smaller cars. i think the big chrysler coupe is to big and remindful of a richer car...SO the black satin has a conflict. i would go with a mild geen or blue or beige or nayve bkue!

i liek red wheels! but not on a high dollar car...

in the back of our minds there is something about economical treatments to economical cars..like the ones we could afford when 16 and up...

bill

Yes they were the upper level Mopars, but so what, this baby did not look like that when I drug her home.

I have seen a few rodded versions of the 46 to 48 Chrysler coupes, and yes they looked good.

As I mentioned in the beginning of this thread is this, this car was very rough, it should have been designated as a parts car, so show quality, or a #1or 2 car ain't in the cards, but a nice #3 or 4 driver is, whether I go with regular paint or a mean looking satin.

Maybe a hemi, should be added and a flame job..............LOL PS, I secretly would have rather had a P15 or a D25, just my prefeerence, a little smaller car etc.

Here is a pic of the beginning of this ressurection of this old hulk.

I am not sure whatever possessed me to do this car, I do remember in the summer of 2006, my wife saying, this car will be sitting like a piece of $hit that it was even in 5 years, oh well had to prove her wrong, she calls it an Old Man's car, she doesn't like it too much, but I love it.

post-114-13585348819038_thumb.jpg

I like the 50s rod ........Fred

I looked at a lot of cars in the 50's and I dont recall ever seeing one with semi gloss paint. There were many in primer and the primer was not always the same color nor did it cover the entire car. Spot of red primer here, spot of grey primer there, spot of black primer way over there, etc. This satin thing is a recent invention not a 50's thing.

Satin black Is a great choice...I disagree with the other comment. I think the larger body styles are complimented . As all fat people know black is (size diminishing) . I plan on doing my 50 Biz coupe in satin black with black and tan two-tone interior. Of course it's personal taste- my only regret is that satin black is becoming soooo common. Oh well, post pics when your done...I bet it'll look MEAN!!!! :D

I looked at a lot of cars in the 50's and I dont recall ever seeing one with semi gloss paint. There were many in primer and the primer was not always the same color nor did it cover the entire car. Spot of red primer here, spot of grey primer there, spot of black primer way over there, etc. This satin thing is a recent invention not a 50's thing.

Yes I realize the Satin Black is more contemporary;) , rather than historical. The satin black look is more of re- invention, which is trying to re-invent the 50's primer and faded out enamel or lacquer paint jobs.

Don I think will leave the spot primer idea alone:rolleyes: , I am working panel by panel after stripping the car, doing all the sheet metal work and spraying the entire car with the Tim Adams secret base primer formula, after each panel is filled,blocked etc, I re-prime the entire panel grey.

Hey the car was a beater, I am not a pro, my expereince is limited, will do what I can, the end result can always be sanded out, reblocked and primed and shot with a professional paintjob at Maaco...........:D

Satin black Is a great choice...I disagree with the other comment. I think the larger body styles are complimented . As all fat people know black is (size diminishing) . I plan on doing my 50 Biz coupe in satin black with black and tan two-tone interior. Of course it's personal taste- my only regret is that satin black is becoming soooo common. Oh well, post pics when your done...I bet it'll look MEAN!!!! :D

Jim, I am not sure how it will look either, yes black gives the illusion of being more compact, it also hides bodiei lines and body joints better than white, but it shows flaws,waves imperfections etc, far easier too.

Here is a pic of a 48 Chrysler Biz Coupe in some sort of flat/satin black,the pic was taken in Sweden by 1 of our Norway Members Roar.

post-114-13585348819327_thumb.jpg

That looks like an original oxidized, faded, black factory paint job to me. That is the same shape my military maroon is in on my CC:eek:

Irregardless of the type or origin of the paint, it gives you guys a an idea what a flatter looking black paint will look like on a 48 Chrysler coupe.....................

Fred, I think it would look fine. Also, if you decide to go further with the paint, it could be a good base coat. I hope to go with John Deere Blitz Black on my wagon, which was black from the factory anyway, and keep almost all of the original trim pieces. Check this Plymouth coupe for a nicely done satin black job.

Here's a link to some info about the John Deere product. Note the price per gallon.:)

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/John_Deere_Blitz_Black_paint

post-64-13585348819605_thumb.jpg

Guess its been said before, your car do what you wanna, you can always do it again, its only paint. Who kows some day you might come into a bit of money and decide to have it professionally done, so tearing up some economical cover wouldn't even warrant a blink of an eye couple years down the road. Only cocern I would have is how often you'd eed to wash it after passing up and down your unpaved road. Flat brown might have its advantage there.

Hi Fred. Take a look at two of the original chrysler colors. One is Catalina Tan,and the other is Dove Grey. They both look great with dark red wheels. I have a 48 Convert. thats Dove Grey,and its always liked. The dark red wheels go with the little bit of red on the nameplates and the taillite and brakelite lens. I saw a coupe done up like that with a Highlander Plaid interior and it was a

knockout. Either of those colors hide body work well. Just my thoughts. Frank M.

Don was my car 50s period correct then? Fred I hope this summer to continue my plan for painting the entire car with flat black epoxy primer

DSC00588.jpg

Ed, I love it man, got some heart and soul to it. Actually do you plan on keeping her in Black Epoxy Primer for a while, or you gonna proceed onto paint.

I have a friend with a 46 Chebby panel truck, he had it for the first 3 or 4 years just in the epoxy primer, he then painted it cherry bclack BC/CC, believe or not his wife preferred the black primer, and so did he.

I may do this that or whatever, bottom line is this, my body work will be done under this, so would only need to sand out whatever I topcoat with and either re-prime and paint, or paint directly over....So not a big deal

Hi Fred. Take a look at two of the original chrysler colors. One is Catalina Tan,and the other is Dove Grey. They both look great with dark red wheels. I have a 48 Convert. thats Dove Grey,and its always liked. The dark red wheels go with the little bit of red on the nameplates and the taillite and brakelite lens. I saw a coupe done up like that with a Highlander Plaid interior and it was a

knockout. Either of those colors hide body work well. Just my thoughts. Frank M.

Hi Frank, yes I do like both of these colors, would lean toward the Dove gray. My notion for the asatin paint is to give the car more of a hot rod look, as apposed to the nice original.

My car is close to original, but has an engine dry clutch and trans from a 1951 Canadian Dodge long block, I also have a 3.73 rear end, Smithy muffler. So no fluid drive or semi-auto trans, hope to install a disc brake conversion, dual exhaust and carbs at some futre point, I have a 265, I may use for my flattie race engine. I also have access to an early Hemi, also, wow would that scream.............