Happy Veterans Day OT

Don Coatney

US Army – Europe, 1970-1972

I graduated high school in May of 69, turned 19 in September. Tricky Dick instituted the draft lottery, and in December, they went on TV and pulled the first birthdays out of a fish bowl.

First birthday pull – September 14th. I won the lottery! In January 1970, I was in Fort Leonard Wood, MO, doing pushups!

My son is full time Army reserve. He’s done a tour in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Thanks to all who served.

post-309-13585357791742_thumb.jpg

post-309-13585357791952_thumb.jpg

yeah..the draft lottery..look how easy it was to be a winner there compared to hitting the daily three today...had I not joined..I would have been drafted also...my number was selected downstream of my entry date..actually..the job I do today is a continuation of my joining the military..I think many veterans continued in their specaility field..retired with 32+ years combined active and reserve  also retired 37 + years service to the military DoD Army, Navy, Air force..

US Army 31J20-B3-34D-R9-AUTODIN-DIN/DSSCS-DSTE tech
US Air Force Reserves data analyst
US Air Force Reserves electronic counter measures quality control

civilian, Fire Control (weapon systems US Navy) communications US Navy then back to Fire control, finished my career in the Electronic Warfare Branch of the US Air Force..

It was a very interesting and fun time...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

I will take the time to remember my father and his service. As to day would have been his

91st birthday. He joined the Navy in Jan of 1942. he was trained as a gunner's mate as was assigned to the battleship Texas doing convoy protection duty in the North Atlantic which were shipping lend lease materiel to Russia.

The Texas survived a very severe storm and a wave which nearly rolled the ship and kocked the radar antenna of the highet mast. As the ship was in Scotland beig rapired and refitted, he revieced orders to The Brookly Navy yards where he became part of the original crew for the not yet commisioned Battleship Missouri. He was part of the original crew and became a gun captain for the center 16 inch gun on the #2 forward turret. He was on duty in the turret whne the ship sustained a hit from a Kamakaze aircraft. The plane did very little damage to the structure of the ship but the ensuing fire caused some damage to the structure which mounted a 5 inch gun turret.

He served on the ship till japan surrendered, and was a witness to the surrender procedings. He was actually a behind the scenes participant. It was discovered that the original table that was provided for the signing was too short for all the signatories to sit at. Just before the Japanese representatives were brought abord, he and another sailor were sent to the Oficers ward room to unbolt one of thier dining tables, bring it to the deck, position it and drap it with the green felt, which they finished with just minutes to spare. As a result he lost his ovservation place with the ships company, and was actually given a better and closer viewing position. Though he was not visible i the most published pictures of the event, we do have a copy of a different picture in which he appears very close to the ceremony locatioin.

His other remembrence of the day was the hair on his neck and arms standing up when the flyover of American and allied air craft happened. Apparently as a sublte reminder that the Japanese' unconditional surrender was the right thing to do, and to quell any ideas that they might have held out longer, in addition to the hundred or so warships present in Tokyo Bay, 12to 1300 warplanes flew over the ceremony taking about 5 minutes for the entire body to clear the area.

Thanks to all for your service.

552_ww2-202.jpg

My father in law was captured by the Japanese in the first days of the war. He spent his entire time in concentration camps in Japan. A true vet never talks to much about there time under fire and this was so true of my father in law. He said the best day in the war was when his jailers fled and they were bombed with boxes of Hershey candy bars! Also when he did get back to the states he got a free meal at the Palace Hotel in San Francisco, where he said the strawberries were as big as a fist. I miss my father in law and I thank god that he made it through those terrible years to produce my wonderful wife of 42 years. May Henry my great father in law rest in peace with god and his fellow veterans that didn't make it back.

My father was a marine during WWII, and served on the island of Pelelieu. I can only recall a couple of times when he would discuss anything about the hell he went through on that island. He was a very strong man, but even thinking about his experiences there was extremely painful for him. On at least two occasions, a fellow marine was killed right next to him. One, running across a beach, and one retrieving a disabled tank that had been booby-trapped by the Japanese. It's difficult to imagine what a traumatic experience that must have been. He passed away in 1985, but I still think of him often. RIP, Dad

I volunteered to work today. I work security at the Hennepin County Government Center in Minneapolis Minnesota. The only reason that the doors are open today is because the building is part of the skyway system. The skyways in Minneapolis connect most of downtown on the second floor so people don't have to walk outside.

For the last hour I have answered dozens of questions on why county services are not available. I remind them that it is a federal holiday, Veterans day. To which several young people have replied, "How should I know that, I'm not a veteran", and I reply "You're not Jesus, but you know when it's his birthday".

This year while at a family reunion I discovered that my father was a Military Policeman in Okinawa during WWII. I'm a retired MP and served in Okinawa from 1978 to 1980.

Happy Veterans Day

1970 - 1990 First Sergeant, US Army Retired

Edited by 48ply1stcar
to include picture

My g-granddad was a POW, civil war, released on his signature he would not bear arms against the union again..57th Va Inf...both grandfathers fought in France during WWI and returned home..all my uncles on both sides were WWII vetrans that spanned the Navy, Marines and Army including Army Air Corp..brother served in Vietnam..drafted..I delayed my entry pending his return from the military so mom would not have to sweat two kids in the military at the same time..on my fathers side of the family I am the only one that has "retired" with a pension..

I was drafted before the draft lottery was invented. In those days everyone was drafted unless they were attending a university or had other exemptions.

Or unless you were enrolled in higher education in California. I was carrying 18 units as a second year Physics major when Uncle Sam informed me that my expertise was needed in-country in Vietnam. Luckily for me I joined the Navy instead. It turned out that there were so many draft-age men in college that there wasn't enough to fill the draft quotas, so they canceled all of the California college deferments!

Marty

Edited by martybose
added clarification

• 11 months later...

This years list of free meals and more for all veterans. There may be more in your local area.

2011 Veteran’s Day Free Meals and Discounts

Applebee’s – free meal, Friday, Nov. 11:

Chili’s – free meal, Friday, Nov. 11.

Golden Corral – Free meal, Monday Nov. 14:

Hooters – Free Meal, Friday, Nov. 11.

Krispy Kreme – Free doughnut.

McCormick & Schmick’s Seafood Restaurants – free lunch or dinner, Sunday Nov 13, 2011:

Outback Steakhouse – A week of Free Bloomin’ Onions and Cokes Monday Nov. 7 – Friday Nov. 11.

Subway – Free Six Inch Sub. Select Subway locations offer a FREE six inch sub to military veterans on Veteran’s Day.

T.G.I. Friday’s – Buy one get one free Nov 11-14. At participating locations for anyone with an old or current military ID. November 11-14.

Uno Chicago Grill, Friday, Nov. 11. Uno’s is offering a free entree or individual pizza with a purchase of an entree or pizza of equal or greater value.

Home Depot and Lowes 10% Military Discount Available Everyday.

Free Park Admissions for Veterans Day

Anheuser-Busch Parks. Anheuser-Busch Parks offers Active Duty Service Members free admission for them and up to 3 dependents to any of their parks once a year. Eligible parks include: Adventure Island, Busch Gardens (Tampa Bay or Williamsburg), SeaWorld (Orlando, San Diego, or San Antonio), Sesame Place, and Water Country USA.

Colonial Williamsburg Free Admission. Colonial Williamsburg offers free weekend-long admission tickets to active-duty military, reservists, retirees, veterans, and their immediate dependents from Friday, Nov. 11 through Sunday, Nov. 13th.

Historic Jamestowne – Free Admission. The National Park Service commemorates Veterans Day with Fee Free days at Historic Jamestowne November 11-13. Free admission for everyone.

Fee Free Day at National Parks. To honor America’s service men and women, Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar announced that areas managed by the National Park Service would not charge entrance fees for Veteran’s Day weekend – November 11-13, 2011.

Bed and Breakfast for Vets

In the third year of the program, B&Bs for Vets has organized over 485 (and counting) participating Bed and Breakfasts and Inns across the US and Canada which will be offering veterans a free night’s stay on November 10th, the night before Veterans Day. This offer is available to both active duty military members and veterans with ID, but space is limited. Each Inn and B&B has at least one room available for this promotion and reservations must be made directly through the participating Inns and B&Bs.

Thousands of car washes around the country are offering vets a free car wash on Veterans Day.

Amazon.com – Discount “Veterans Day Honor” MP3 album download. This downloadable album includes 12 songs as performed by the military bands and ensembles of the U.S. Armed Forces. Visit Amazon on Veteran’s Day to download the album.

Netflix – One Month Free Trial.

Tim Hortons – all US locations are offering a free donut to all veterans (check out the Star Spangled donut!).

America’s Incredible Pizza Company (St. Louis and St. Peters, MO). Free meal Nov. 11th. Call ahead to verify hours and locations.

My ancestors immigrated to the U.S. after the Civil War. They were Mennonites (uber pacifists) and did not serve in any military - but that didn't stop their decendants. My grandfather on my mom's side was a combat wounded vet of WWI. He met my grandmother while recouperating in Bellview Army Medical Center in Illinois, where she was an Army nurse. My dad (Vietnam era) and his dad (WW2 era) were 4F and couldn't join the military, but my grandfather helped build tank factories in Indiana, and my dad was a U.S. Border Patrolman. One uncle is a Navy vet of Vietnam - USS Bonne Homme Richard, one uncle was a Navy figher pilot during WW2 and retired as a RADML (he always hated Spam), another uncle was a Navy frogman during WW2 and told a few stories of planting mines on Japanese ships while in harbor, my twin brother was an Army MP, served in Berlin and deployed to Grenada after the festivities were over, and I was an Army Infantryman in the 3rd ID (same unit as my grandfather), and 82nd Airborne Division where I participated in the Grenada festivities, "earned" the Purple Heart and was able to have my grandfather's WW1 Purple Heart pinned on during the award ceremony. Sorry to ramble but I'm just very proud of all that.

I work with, hire, and promote Veterans at every opportunity and am proud and feel privileged to do so. I've never taken advantage of gratuities for Vets, but encourage others to, and am always surprised, but appreciative, when I'm recognized as a Vet at public events, like my daughter's college graduation. This newfound appreciation of Veterans is a good thing, I just hope it doesn't go to our heads. :D

I'm a Nam vet 1965 and I want to thank all my fellow vet's for their service. Whenever I see a one our our finest in uniform I make it a point to walk-up and thank them for their service. Or in a restraunt I ask the waitress to see what their favorite dessert is and put it on my tab. Thank god we still have young people willing to defend the best damn country in the world!

:D:D

My dad server in WWII as a radar technician.

After he passed away in 1995 we were informed that ALL WWII veterans and their livinf spuses are eligibale for what is called Aid and Assistance. The VA does not make this known.

This is free money that if the spouse is still living they can qualify for additioanl monthly income.

You need to contact your local VA office and complete the necessary paperwork. It took us almost a year to get the funds but the good news is that they will back date the payment based on the date that you officially applied so we recieved 12 months of back payment.

Since they use the date that you sent in the paperwork you should always try to get it in to the local VA at least 1 week prior to the end of a month.

You are due these funds so make the effort to apply. My mom is now in a nursing home and now gets $90 a month from the VA that the nursing home can not get their hands on. This is a govt rule. So every little bit helps.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com