Paint master cylinder?

Jim Saraceno

I painted mine with POR15 and Eastwood now has an Extreme Chassis Black formula that I am using on my chassis parts. They also have a ceramic black coating that is super resistant. I checked around before selecting the Eastwood Extreme Chassis Black because I am using it on my rims, drums and brake plates. It seemed to be the best of the brake fluid resistant paints available.

Is there a paint that is resistant to brake fluid? I'm thinking of painting my master (and maybe wheel) cylinder but I wonder if it is a futile gesture.

Almost any paint will stay on if DOT5 brake fluid is used in your system. :)

For originality, my guess is they were unpainted because the brake fluid would remove anything that they tried to paint it with.

I painted my master cylinder on my '38 Chrysler and the inside of the backing plates. Waste of time. If you get any brake fluid the paint is gone or peels. Next time I will just clean really well and reassemble. Don't think these parts were painted new for a reason.

You have to buy it on line or from a distributor as far as I know. I forget where I bought mine. If you Google POR15 you'll get your answer. But I would also Goggle Eastwood Automotive Products and take a look at their web site. They have a nice catalog too.

A couple of local automotive paint stores carry the POR 15 brand.

However, one place only keeps one size can of chassis black.

The other place had maybe three things to choose from.

So, the website has more to offer for variety.

The price locally was about the same as the website, except no

shipping----sales tax instead.

Quite a few Napa stores carry Por15, or can order it. Swap meets have vendors also.