Election results and our old cars

James_Douglas

Let me state that I did not vote for Obama or McCain. We could do better than both of them, but our system is just not allowing or producing the best and the brightest to ascend to the top job.

I think it is going to be interesting to see what effects the election will have on our classic car hobby.

If an energized center-left federal government tries to act on the points Obama made in his election night speech, it could spell real trouble for our hobby.

Obama said,

"...because you understand the enormity of the task that lies ahead. For even as we celebrate tonight, we know the challenges that tomorrow will bring are the greatest of our lifetime – two wars, a planet in peril..."

In an interview over a year ago Charley Gibson from ABC asked Obama about his non-political interests, Gibson asked Obama if politics and money were no issue what kind of car would he drive. Obama stated that he is "not a car guy" and then talked with nostalgia and pride they he drove and old rusting Datsun that you could see the street through the holes in the floorboard. It is apparent that he has no affinity for trains, planes, or automobiles.

When he and his fellow Democrat's in congress try to address that global policy statement about " ...a planet in peril...", I assure you that the practical implication to everyone in our hobby will not be something to look forward to.

Unless everyone keeps a sharp eye on all local, state, and federal government and is prepared to write and show up if needed...the next eight years may well be the end of the old car hobby as we have all known it.

Best, James

First of all, I don't think we have anything to worry about. The biggest threat to the old car hobby are gas prices. Car show attendance was way down this summer and I know lots of guys that had to park their cars because they could barely afford to fill their daily. Our cars get driven so little that their contributions to carbon dioxide emissions are negligible.

Our main goals right now should be to get our country off oil and invest in renewable energy. They will still be making gasoline for a long, long time although it might become more expensive and less available. Once hybrids and electrics start taking over, I think we're going to see lots of backyard builders changing their rods over. It's actually kind of exciting. It may not be traditional but it would be a whole new era of hot rodding and innovation. Personally, I would love to have a hybrid/electric-modded old car in 10-20 years. If that's what it takes to keep it on the road, that's what we'll have to do.

As a "car guy" myself, I would actually be in favor of nationwide year-of-engine-manufacture smog checking (like they have in Cali) and, more importantly, safety inspections. Some of the stuff I see on the road is just unbelievable!

I echo you concerns James. I started a thread on this yesterday to get everyone elses thoughts on the issue. Some are concerned and some are not. We just need to help groups like SEMA fight for our hobby and keep up to date on what is going on.

Here's a link to the my thread. http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/showthread.php?t=12408

Actually, I don't think either of the majour parties and the people they elect could really care about us as antique car enthusiasts. We are an easy scapegoat. In all actuality, I am no more vigilant or less so, just because Barack Obama is in the White House, Nancy Pelosi is Speaker of the House, Joe Biden Senate President, or Harry Reid is Senate Majourity Leader. Until we start electing and supporting representatives that are willing to be a pain in the neck about individual liberties and personal property rights, voting for Republicans or Democrats will not protect our cars from those that wish us ill-will. There is really little to no difference between the majour political parties in these united States.

Until we have elected officials with the courage and wisdom of Davy Crockett and Thomas Jefferson, we are pretty much screwed. The best we can hope for is that we as individuals project a positive image about ourselves and our hobby so that the local government chooses to leave us alone because we are good guys rather than zeroing in on us because we are jerks.

Not Yours to Give http://www.pointsouth.com/csanet/greatmen/crockett/crocket2.htm