Sightings

_shel_ny

Robert Mitchum, Kirk Douglas and Jane Greer, in Out of the Past. Filmed in 47.

Lots of MOPAR taxis and others, set in Lake Tahoe, San Francisco. Driving those fluid drive long wheelbase Desotos must have been interesting on the Hills of San Francisco.

In rotation of TCM.

I have been watching TCM this week as well, You can see all kinds of old Mopars in the background of the movie however your eyes have to be very fast. The one movie with Loy, grant and shirley Temple at the end at the airport the doctor drives up in this mean fast back, it's black and shining. Sunset BLVD had that chase shot where the desoto almost tipped over, when the Plymouth vert got the flat I guess they were showing how with the new rim, the tire and rim do not separate in case of a flat. Holden was able to drive into the garage. Hey, what was the name of that old old car the butler drove?:)

I think you may be on to something there, Rodney. Product placement is not a new idea. I think Chrysler realised a long time ago that if they offer vehicles to the movies cheaper than the other guys they will get free advertising by way of screen time. In the '60s it was pretty common on TV shows to read in the closing credits, "Vehicles provided courtesy of the XXXXXXXX Motor Company." Knight Rider has originally a one-hour commercial for Pontiac every week on prime-time, it is now a commercial for Ford. Viper was no different. Only the bad guys drove something other a MoPar, even the cars on the street were the latest Chrysler Corp. models. I am guessing that MGM had a deal with Chrysler, and that is why we see so many Chrysler vehicles on TCM. Most of the movies, if I am not mistaken, that Ted Turner (and thus TCM) bought the rights to are MGM movies.

• 11 years later...

I watched an old movie last night, partly because it's so hard to find decent ones anymore, and also on the chance of seeing an old Plymouth.  Right near the end of the 1959 film The Cain Mutiny (around the 2 hr. mark - saw it on Crackle), there is a taxi which I'm pretty certain is a P15.  What really caught my eye is the grill guard that looks identical to the one I have - first time I've seen another like it.  (Most others attach to the front of the bumper, while this one mounts to the bumper supports, down through the inside of the bumper guards.  It does, however, require holes cut through the sheet metal apron between the fenders/grill bottom & the bumper.)

P15 in The Cain Mutiny 01.JPG

P15 in The Cain Mutiny 03.JPG

I watch Project Blue Book and they were riding around in a cherry 1949 Plymouth a few episodes ago...  That show is set in the 50's so every car on the show is an old beauty...

If alien shows are your thing and you love classic cars then please check it out.

Ed

in The Big Sleep Humphrey Bogart as private detective Philip Marlowe drives what  I  believe is a 1939 Plymouth  business coupe towards the end he is shown driving a 1940 Dodge business coupe that he took from the bad guys

the Dodge is just like mine

In the big Sleep Bogart drives a 1938 Plymouth coupe. See the pictures. Some are dark, but hey, it's film noir.

Pete

1779485345_Capture2.jpg.7b89b8cd7be73abeb4f1abc671a97b10.jpg

Capture 4.jpg

Capture 5.jpg

Capture 6.jpg

Capture 7.jpg

Capture 8.jpg

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

Those "outdoor" scenes were filmed in a studio.

Exactly....no natural light....everything set up for cinematography. I'm always intrigued while watching the old movies how every shot of an actor's face (especially female) is set up with "portrait light" the same way it would be for a still photo.....and the background lighting coordinates with the foreground. No color to enhance scenes....just shades of gray. Very cool.

Edited by Sam Buchanan

In a former life (in a galaxy far, far, away...) I went to film school and worked in the film industry for a while. Worked as a cinematographer on a few (low budget) films. Love the cars and movies of the thirties.

Pete