Anti-feeze (OT)

_shel_ny

Decided to pick up some anti-freeze today. My S-10 had started making a gurgling sound through the heater core with moderate to hard acceleration when I start out. I figured the Dex-Cool was starting to clump again and thought it would be time to back flush the heater core again.

Back flushed it, but I think the gurgle was because the coolant level was down. Will now have to watch the recovery tank and keep things topped off.

Anyway, what I ended up getting was Prestone extended life anti-freeze. Bottle claims it to be compatible with any color, any brand, for any vehicle, extended life anti-freeze. I had intended to buy the Dex-Cool, but the PX did not have it.

Paid $12.99 for the gallon, then on the way home, at Wal-Mart it was $9.00.

They had the 50/50 mix for $8.00.

Best part is, right now (until Feb 28 -09) Prestone has a $5/gal (2 gallon/address limit) "cash back" on extended life concentrate, and $3 on the 50/50

Shel,

The premixed antifreeze is all I use now. Yes, it cost a little more and yes, you are paying for 50% water, but it's a lot more convenient to use. However, when you talk about paying for water, we do that anyway at home on the water bill. That said, there probably isn't much difference in the cost of that water. If I take 1/2 gallon of water out of the faucet at home, I also have to pay a sewer charge on that half gallon of water, which doubles the cost of the 1/2 gallon of water to equal 1 gallon, even though that water didn't go down the drain. So...........I'm paying for the water either way, why not make life simpler and buy the premixed antifreeze.

Norm,

Some areas have separate water lines and meters for lawn watering and irrigation. The rate is less on those because the water isn't caught by the sewer system.

You know I argued that same point when they came out with the sewer bill on the water bill years ago. Not only that point, but in the beginning they would say I used so many cubic feet and bill me for more cubic feet than water used going into the sewer.:rolleyes: Now, how can that be?:confused: So........each time I got a bill I'd call them and complain that was impossible to do. After getting a little static, they would finally adjust the bill to be even. Guess they got a lot of calls like mine because about 2 years later they stopped doing that. But then the rates went up on the sewer portion of the bill for each cubic foot used. So, did we win? I don't think so. We get billed for the water used to water the grass because they say we're adding to the ground water being processed in the sewers. We don't have separate water lines here in the city, maybe they do in farming area's, not sure. So.....I am paying double the cost for the water I take out, no matter what I do with it.

My previous job was with a large national homebuilder, and our newer communities had a town-controlled sprinkler piping system. There was a master valve at the front of the development that would only open the system for a few hours on alternate nights (like 2-5 AM). Each home had a sprinkler timer set to operate at the specified watering times. The town would activate different developments on different nights. Saves a lot of water that way.

My water comes out of my well. It is relatively cheap that way. The well is paid for, so the more I use the less it costs. I do have to pay electric to pump it out, but I doubt it would cost more than 5-10 cents for that half gallon of water.

premix $8 - $3 rebate. $5 per bottle. $10/gal

concentrate $9 -$5 rebate. $4 per bottle. $4/gal

Without the rebate premix $16/gal concentrate $9/gal

I generally have a spare empty antifreeze container. For $6-7 less/gal I am able to mix my own when needed.

Norm..call them up and explain to them you are constipated and thus the sewer fee is unfair as it punishes you for a medical condition outside your control and thus you feel that the only thing left for you to do is to bring a discrimiatory suit based on your afflicition..(I base this on the fact others have said you are full of....)

Norm..call them up and explain to them you are constipated and thus the sewer fee is unfair as it punishes you for a medical condition outside your control and thus you feel that the only thing left for you to do is to bring a discrimiatory suit based on your afflicition..(I base this on the fact others have said you are full of....)

Tim,

I know you are jesting. However you are not far off. When they were trying to bill me for more cubic feet of water going into the sewer than I took out, I did say something like this. "Even if you are trying to bill me for taking a leak, I could not produce more than I took out of the faucet.":) I'm not bashful when I think I'm being raked over the coals.:)

I've bought some of the pre mixed stuff. Seems kinda silly to pay for the

water, but it's convenient. Gotta spend this money on something.

I don't know if it's all that silly Bob. As you just said, it's convenient. Just look at how many people buy water to drink in bottles instead of taking it out of the tap. I myself don't do that much, but I will admit the water taste better to me when you buy in a bottle.

In my opinion buying pre mixed antifreeze isn't any different than what we do when we buy prepared frozen foods at the store. Why do we buy ready made hamburger patties for example when they cost more than just a pound of ground beef in the fresh meat section. Because they are convenient. Everyone buys those and other similar items simply because they are convenient because they take less time to prepare. We've even been buying pre cooked bacon and breakfast sausage patties for the last year or two. Just pop the bacon or sausage in the microwave for a few seconds and it's ready to eat. And, it taste just as good as the fresh cut bacon and sausage. The microwave popcorn in individual bags is another good example.

Norn..you are right..it was poking fun but I will admit I know where you coming from for they did the same thing to us when I lived in S.C. and they did the same formula..1 gallon out the tap to estimated I gallon down the sewer...however our rates were not really high so all in all..was not worth fighting..I did get an adjustment on my water bill after I proved an error in their meter..plus I later had them buy me new shrubbery to replaced what they damaged changing out the meter.

As for water out the tap versus bottle water..we have the third best water in the nation in our small community from a 165 foot deep well..makes most excellent coffee might I add...

Tim,

I'll agree, well water is just as good and usually nice and cool. Last time I had well water though was on my great grandfathers farm in Litchfield, KY back in the 50's. Was the only water they had on the farm. Send the bucket down the well and pull it back up on the rope. Best water I ever had.

My brother in law has a well too, but the city made him take out the pump and cap it after they put in running water years ago. He can't even use it for watering the grass. That's the big city for ya.

Shel' date='

The premixed antifreeze is all I use now. Yes, it cost a little more and yes, you are paying for 50% water, but it's a lot more convenient to use. However, when you talk about paying for water, we do that anyway at home on the water bill. That said, there probably isn't much difference in the cost of that water. If I take 1/2 gallon of water out of the faucet at home, I also have to pay a sewer charge on that half gallon of water, which doubles the cost of the 1/2 gallon of water to equal 1 gallon, even though that water didn't go down the drain. So...........I'm paying for the water either way, why not make life simpler and buy the premixed antifreeze.[/quote']

If the cooling system on your car takes 2 gallons (8 quarts), you will need one $9.00 gallon of antifreeze plus one gallon of water. For the 50-50 pre-mix, you will need 2 gallons at $8.00, for a total of $16.00.

So you are paying the equivalent of $7.00 a gallon for your water when you purchase 50-50 premix.

Bill

Vancouver, BC