hard to start

brian hood

Have you tried priming the carb before you attempt to start the engine? If this enables the engine to start right away your carb has run dry or your accelerator pump is not working.

Remove your air cleaner and look to see if your carb is squirting gas when you work the accelerator pump.

My Dodge was hard to start when I bought it. I tuned it up and replaced the gas pump. Still, it the car sat for more than a few hours I had to pour gas into the carb to prime it. Once running it ran great. I posted a question on the forum and got range of answers from guys who said that their cars started the same as mine, to guys who said that their cars started right up after weeks of sitting. - Finally, when I had the left rear wheel off I noticed a damp spot on the frame above the rear axle. The fuel line was rusted where it is held down by a clamp, it leaked just enough for the pump to loose prime if the car sat. I cut out the bad section of line and replaced it with rubber fuel line. The car starts great now, even after sitting for weeks! Check your fuel line.

It's just amazing what one learns from this forum. I'm unbolting a 53 pilot house to put in a new engine. The gas tips are invaluable as well as the electrical. I am going to clean, clean, clean the wire connections first before I get a new harness and these comment are so timely for me.

remember 6 volt system-I bet if you charge overnight it will fire right up. Often the supposed fuel shortage isn't- it is insufficient umph for a run down battery to both turn starter and energize the points enought to generate spark. Many tiems I have hooked a 12 volt battery to 6 volt and fired them right off.

Lou