Which tranny?

pflaming

I have both three and a four speed trannys. I plan to put a 61-72 Ford Country Squire automatic 3.0:1 rear axel and all in. I under stand that 3rd and 4th are 1: to 1: ratios so the top end will be the same. I am told that with this differential the truck should travel nicely between 65 - 70. So then with a four speed will I get a nice 50 mph in third on the four speed? The truck will be a city driver when completed so the four speed division interests me. At this point I am going with the three speed, nostolgic and simplicity.

Got the hood off, the radiator out, the fan off, and will go under next to remove drive shaft and drop the tranny. The engine is blown so I have rebuilt ready to go in.

Washed , with soap, the old truck and was amazed at how much the color came back. Probably the first soap wash job in 25 years.

When I finish I will have a good set of wheels with all clips and hub caps . Any one interested. I will need a '53 grill and name plates for the hood, side and front.

Well for what its worth with 3.55 gears and 28 inch tires in High gear you should get 70 mph at 3,000 Rpm. With 3.00 gears with 28 inch tires in High gear at 3,000 Rpm you should be doing about 83 MPH. I think the 4 speed is the best choice and I think the 3.00 gears are to tall for the power of this little 6. BUT that is what I think. Hope this helps Carl :rolleyes:

I agree with Greg - the three speed will be more user friendly. Granny low gear is nearly useless except for farmers hauling heavy loads in soft ground. The top three gear ratios are nearly identical to the 3-speed, sp that on the hihway you will have absolutely no advantage with top speed. You also pay a weight penalty with the frour speed, and - watch this - many four speeds were spur gear non-synchronized types - a real crash box that required double clutching each shift. Check this out before you commit.

I have my answer, will go with the three speed. I thought the gears may have been divided differently and a four speed would work like a 'gear splitter'. Had a '50 Plymouth years ago, Drove it to Calif and back. Seems we drove around 65 MPH with that, 70 was ok but a bit too fast for a long time, 65 was smoother, so 65 will be OK again.

I have downloaded a lot of information over the past two years and will now print that all out and make myself an "instruction manual". Been very good reading.

:)

• 4 weeks later...
snip snip snip...Granny low gear is nearly useless except for farmers hauling heavy loads in soft ground. The top three gear ratios are nearly identical to the 3-speed, sp that on the hihway you will have absolutely no advantage with top speed. You also pay a weight penalty with the frour speed, and - watch this - many four speeds were spur gear non-synchronized types - a real crash box that required double clutching each shift. Check this out before you commit.

Grannie gear is perfect for parades....... my truck doesn't get to farm much anymore.

Dennis

http://personalpages.tds.net/~dsullivan/Gallery/GalFrame.html

I have a 4 speed synchro in my 52 1/2 ton, a Chrysler 251, and a Ford 3.0 rear end with 15" rims and 29" tall radials. I rarely use 1st gear but it has come in handy for pulling a heavy load up a steep hill. This combo has worked great for me in my construction business. In the early 90's I had a 47 pickup with the same drive train except for a 3 speed floor shifter and a 241 long block. I only had a lack of pulling power once with this truck leaving a job site up a steep driveway with a full load. I had to unload some of the material to get up the hill without burning out the clutch. 3:55 or 3:25 rear gears would probably be a better choice with a 218 or 230 or at least a 4 speed synchro with granny low for those special times.

Here's the 47 on the job back in '97.

MVC-006F-1.jpg

As the others mentioned the 4spd doesn't gain you anything unless you are working or the occasional parade use. Its also good for teaching people to drive a stick. Pretty hard to stall in granny gear. Here's the 4spd work truck we use at the cabin. Frequently comes out of the woods with wood as high as the cab. Has a somewhat worn out p20 218 and a 4.3 rear gear. Recently got treated to a set of radials-take offs from my dakota.

Dads46-1-1.jpg