How much is your utility bill? OT

steveplym

I only run the fans when I am home. I turn it off when I get up in the morning. I already warned her my house is cold in the winter. Otherwise the heat bill is even more outrageous.

Keeping the house cold in the winter could cause many feet to be pounding the floor after a few years.:D :D That could be much more expensive than turning the heat up a little.;)

Hey Dodgepu1946 and Norm, Why would you guys need A/C up in your neck of the woods? I remember when I was there in June of 04, you guys were still in the winter mode. Do you guys really have a summer up there? Tony C

Tony,

What do you mean it was still winter when you were here. Outside of being a little cloudy that day, it was what we call a nice day in the 60's.:D You're just too use to that sunny California weather. You are even wearing a short sleeve shirt.:D It does get hot and humid here in July and August especially.

Our gas rates are going DOWN a bit :) I think it's a cruel trick to make us think they will be low all winter.

Electricity varies as to provider, but get's expensive in winter when we use more power for things like block heaters and more lights for the much shorter day. (8:30-4:30 after DST)

http://www.enmax.com/easymax/residential/questions/Find+Albertas+Lowest+Electricity+rate/Find+Albertas+lowest+electricity+rate.htm

Here in the land of Hydro electric dams in Manitoba, we pay around 6 cnets per Kwh, all ofmy utilites for my 1400 square ft home, triple car electric heated garage is is $210 per month, this includes all as we have no natural gas to our house. I also heat the garage, the dryer, the hot water tank,all lights, central air, furnace.

It is very cold here in winter, and quite hot in summer, so this is still a good deal for us in Manitoba........Fred

We also have natural gas here, infact most people in Southern Manitoba use gas for heat, and hot water, there is also a lot of geo-thermal.

I think our utility bill for everything in the whole house , garage yard, and I mean everything is around $2500 for the entire year, this means heating the house and garage when it's -30 at times in winter, winter is also 4 to 5 months long it seems...........Fred

In south west Virginia, my average budget is $68.00 for all electric Double Wide mobile with 2x6 exterior walls.....My last bill would have been $37...My county water bill was $38 for 3000 gallons....In my shop I use a wood burning furnace, solar,and a cloths dryer....My house has AC/heat pump...House faces south and east, so collect much sun in winter....Have small propane wall heater, and fireplace for back up emergency.

I pay $2064 a year for natural gas alone, or $176.00 a month for hot water and gas dryer plus central heat in the winter. My last month electric bill with water and garbage and waste water was $330.00. I keep the house set at 80 degrees from 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM then down to 72 degrees for the night all summer. Just watered my lawn enough to keep it from dying. In the winter the electric, water, waste water, and garbage still runs $175.00 to $200.00 a month. My minium cost is over $300.00 a month to as high as $500.00 a month during the year.

In south west Virginia, my average budget is $68.00 for all electric Double Wide mobile with 2x6 exterior walls.....My last bill would have been $37...My county water bill was $38 for 3000 gallons....In my shop I use a wood burning furnace, solar,and a cloths dryer....My house has AC/heat pump...House faces south and east, so collect much sun in winter....Have small propane wall heater, and fireplace for back up emergency.

Bobby, you same set-up would use more power here in winter, with 4 to 5 months of winter, and 2 of those months average around 0, you would no doubt burn more here.

We have some of the cheapest electricity here in North America,arund 6 cents per Kwh, infact we supply a lot of power into the USA, we have several huge Hydro Dams here.

My house is 2X6 construction, R20 walls, R40 attic, R20 basement walls, triple pane windows etc, my 24 X36 garage is insulated the same way.

The house is a raised bungalow (Bi-Level) 1400 square feet on both levels, stucco walls etc, we use stucco here more than siding, much like the USA southwest, not sure why, as we are definately up north.

There are houses up her that are built to the R 2000 factor that burn way less power than mine, even though the house is larger.

It is quite common to pay $200 a month here for gas, and a up to a $100 for electricity, for a 1400 square foot home with a family of 4.

I also have a well, septic filed, so I do not have to pay water utilties, then there is the dang phone lines, internet, satelite TV, oh plus 3 cell phones, good thing my wife works for Ma Bell............Fred

August was rather warm here in the Dallas area and my electric bill was $480 we keep the A/C at 75. Use gas for hot water and heat so our gas bill was $34 then another $92 for water.

September was much nicer to us and our electric was only $310 others about the same.

Now that my oldest daughter is gone there are only 3 of us in a 2800 sq ft house. Youngest is now a senior in highschool and as soon as she is off to college this puppy is going on the market. Down sizing considerably.